Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,043

3 members and 3,040 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tailess Mice

Thanks

Re: Tailess Mice

Quote Originally Posted by piedlover79 View Post
    Wow! I have to say the 'Manx Mouse' is really cute! I would experiment to see if she can be bred and if the resulting Manx are healthy. Fun little project!
    Thank you. She is a cutie!

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
    - The Grove Reptiles

Thanks

Small update. As the male grew he developed a very pronounced hip deformity. He walked with his pelvis curved inward, but his legs splayed outward. It produced an odd gait and, from the stiffness of movement, appeared painful. It got worse the larger he got. He also grew much more slowly than littermates. The female had not yet begun to exhibit any of those issues, but I felt like in all probability that she would as she grew larger. She was also smaller than her littermates.
    They were culled from the colony as well as the male and the two females that produced them. I'll be bringing in some fresh bloodlines and watching for any more of these guys to pop up. Unfortunate ending, they were the cutest.

- The Grove Reptiles

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Asherah For This Useful Post:

BeelzeBall. (07-20-2016),Marrissa (07-20-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts
    That is very unfortunate because they were cute, but hip deformities are not something you can encourage so you did the right thing. Thanks for the update!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piedlover79 View Post
    That is very unfortunate because they were cute, but hip deformities are not something you can encourage so you did the right thing. Thanks for the update!
    No, they aren't. It would not have been responsible breeding practices, nor would it have been good for the future of my colony.
    Your welcome!

- The Grove Reptiles

Thanks

I love manx rats, haha. That's the first time I've seen a manx mouse, though. I have a manx girl who has had a few litters without any issues, she's just a decently put together manx, I guess. It's too bad your mice had issues, it seems as though the manx deformity produces itself a little differently in mice? From my understanding, it's not often they pop up in rat litters, even with either visual or 'carriers' as the parents. You had a lot of weird tail stuff going on with your mice, though.. hm
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fraido View Post
    I love manx rats, haha. That's the first time I've seen a manx mouse, though. I have a manx girl who has had a few litters without any issues, she's just a decently put together manx, I guess. It's too bad your mice had issues, it seems as though the manx deformity produces itself a little differently in mice? From my understanding, it's not often they pop up in rat litters, even with either visual or 'carriers' as the parents. You had a lot of weird tail stuff going on with your mice, though.. hm
    I really couldn't find much on the issue. It does seem that they are prone to deformity, but I have not compared the issues between the two.

- The Grove Reptiles

Thanks
    Manx in US mice is dominant. Just don't breed any that are Manx and you won't have more. Some specific breeders have shipped in recessive manx (like in rats) but not many.

Thanks

I have one female mouse whose tail was injured. The tail got all hard and, well... dead. I knew it would cause problems in her movement, so I took some scissors and snipped her tail off. She did not act like cutting it off caused her pain.
    That was about 3 months ago, she has been doing just fine ever since. She has been normal, had babies, and has had no issues being without a tail.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12