Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,601

3 members and 1,598 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tailess Mice

Thanks

Tailess Mice

So, I've had something interesting crop up in my feeder tubs. I typically do not out-cross for several generations, so I can sometimes have neat things crop up. I've currently got a nice line of brindle that does not appear to be prone to obesity or the health problems often associated with them. I had a line of long haired mice, but they did not seem to be as hardy as my short haired line, so they were culled. Both mutations randomly popped up in my stock. Now it appears that I have a third.
    The first oddness was noticed in a litter from about 2 months ago. It was a pairing between my main male and a distantly related female. The litter had one mouse with a normally developed tail, the rest consisted of offspring with tails of varying lengths. I thought that perhaps the female had been stressed at some point and had chewed on the tails. However, no scaring or partially healed patches were noticed on examination. The parents themselves do not exhibit any traits of a shortened tail. I feel that it is a possibility of the mutation being a recessive trait.

This is the only offspring left from that litter. A male. He had one litter mate that had a shorter tail, but otherwise his was the shortest of the litter.

The next odd litter resulted in only two offspring. The same male with a half sibling. One with a normal tail, the second with a mere nub. I believe a female, but the lack of a tail makes her a bit difficult to sex/handle at this stage.

I haven't been able to find much about them. It seems they are often plagued with back, hip and reproductive problems. The health of my stock is paramount, but I would really like to keep these two to see if this really is a genetic trait. My hang up is, of course, I don't want to breed anything with health problems. At this point she appears to be formed normally, other than the missing tail, and moves normally. The male with the slightly shortened tail has no movement or spinal issues. Anyone have any input, thoughts or ideas?
    Last edited by Asherah; 06-20-2016 at 09:25 PM.
    - The Grove Reptiles

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Asherah For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (06-21-2016),BeelzeBall. (07-20-2016)

BPnet Senior Member AlexisFitzy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,512 Posts

Re: Tailess Mice

That's really interesting I'm loving the mouse with that nub! Soooo cute!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Congratulations, you are re-creating hamsters?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spiritserpents For This Useful Post:

BMorrison (06-21-2016),Tash (07-20-2016)

Registered User butterballpython's Avatar
    Thanks
    You can try it and see. If it causes neurological problems, you can just feed off those mice and stop that bloodline.
    1.0 bp butter "Brickle" the friendly explorer
    0.1 bp champagne "Bubbles" the shy one
    0.1 bp normal "Callista" the little one

Thanks

Lol, she is just adorable at this point. Recreating hamsters! I might she how she grows. I will definitely watch closely before attempting any breeding.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
    - The Grove Reptiles

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    With tailless rats, the pelvis is usually malformed and thus, females are not bred because they end up needing c-sections to give birth.

Oddly enough, I just had a tailless rat pop up in my feeder colony. I've spent 3 years trying to find a tailless rat for a pet, so I'm quite excited to have one randomly pop up.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (06-26-2016),AlexisFitzy (06-21-2016),Asherah (06-26-2016),Marrissa (07-20-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I use the tail to move the mouse from the tanks to the feeding tubs, not sure how you would move them without the handle LOL. Interesting though... I breed fancy mice and like to keep back all of my prettiest mice to breed, it's always surprising to see what comes out of each litter, that is if they make it past the pinky stage without being fed off LOL.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

Asherah (06-26-2016),Marrissa (07-20-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts
    Wow! I have to say the 'Manx Mouse' is really cute! I would experiment to see if she can be bred and if the resulting Manx are healthy. Fun little project!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to piedlover79 For This Useful Post:

Asherah (06-26-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    With tailless rats, the pelvis is usually malformed and thus, females are not bred because they end up needing c-sections to give birth.

Oddly enough, I just had a tailless rat pop up in my feeder colony. I've spent 3 years trying to find a tailless rat for a pet, so I'm quite excited to have one randomly pop up.
    Eek that is a definite concern then.

- The Grove Reptiles

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    I use the tail to move the mouse from the tanks to the feeding tubs, not sure how you would move them without the handle LOL. Interesting though... I breed fancy mice and like to keep back all of my prettiest mice to breed, it's always surprising to see what comes out of each litter, that is if they make it past the pinky stage without being fed off LOL.
    I use it to keep a handle on them as well. She has been a bit of a difficult one to keep hands on.

- The Grove Reptiles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast