Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 507

0 members and 507 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new cage

Thanks

new cage

Here are some pics of my new cage. It is about 5'*2**2. It will have hinged glass doors.It will be for my ball pythons (2males). Old cage just seemed a little small to house 2 snakes. Tell me what you all think.Also if anyone has any coccrete evidence that 2 balls shouldn't be kept together please let me know. I have housed mine together for 2.5 years with no problems!

SeeYa

Rick

Thanks

Re: new cage

Looks awsome so far cant wait to see the finished result.
    -Sean
    Mazdaspeed 3, yeah its silly fast!

Thanks

So when you say "no problems so far" you mean they are both eating and growing and whatever else alright? If so, you are in the minority...people wouldn't say those things w/o any backup to it. But I mean you've got a whole 2.5 years experience so I guess all those other claims must be wrong!
    -Brad

Thanks

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH HOUSING SNAKES OF THE SAME SPECIES IN THE SAME ENCLOSURE.PERIOD. Now yes there can be down sides to housing 2 snakes in the same enclosure but, not anymore than housing to bearded dragons, leopard geckos or any other herp for that matter. So back off Rick atleast he is taking the time to expand his enclosure to provide them with more space.
    -Sean

Thanks

Thank you very much Sean. I have actually had my adult ball python since he was a baby(about 6 yrs). I just added a new ball as a baby 2.5 yrs ago.

The cage should be finished this weekend and I should have pics of it to post.
    Haven't figured out how I am going to heat the new enclosure yet but i will probablly use heat lamps till i can afford radiant heat panels.

On an off note has anyone on this forum noticed that there balls like too climb, I was thinking about putting an upper level in the cage for the snakes to climb up onto and explore around?

Thanks

Main issue with housing two snakes together is health. Hold on to the old cage you had them in, just in case one comes down with something you can get them separated quickly. Just like kids, if one gets sick you wanna keep the brothers and sisters away.
    C.E.H. 12/14/86 ---> 12/23/03
    1.1 BCI
    0.1 Diamond x Jungle Carpet Python

eminent clothing

Thanks

Anytime you keep more than my reptile in the same enclosure you should have a back up one that can be used to seperate them, heck whenever you keep any animals together you should have a means of seperating them if nessesary.
    -Sean

Thanks

Yeah that's why I said it
    1.1 BCI

eminent clothing

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Python-77
    THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH HOUSING SNAKES OF THE SAME SPECIES IN THE SAME ENCLOSURE.PERIOD. Now yes there can be down sides to housing 2 snakes in the same enclosure but, not anymore than housing to bearded dragons, leopard geckos or any other herp for that matter. So back off Rick atleast he is taking the time to expand his enclosure to provide them with more space.
    Except that bearded dragons and leopard geckos aren't known to become cannibalistic when stressed. You're comparing apples and oranges. Communal housing may work for many species, but it’s not the wisest thing for p. regius.

IMO, there is something very wrong with forcing an animal like a ball python that has evolved to live a solitary life into a close proximity with another animal for extended periods of time. I've seen the first hand effects of stress on ball pythons housed communally and know from experience that they are less likely to fast and breed much better when housed individually.

Also, male combat in ball pythons can turn quite physically violent resulting in some pretty serious damage to one or both animals if left unchecked. All it would take is a nice winter cold front and you could have a very seriously injured animal.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Thanks for the input Adam, I've been fighting a solo battle here.
    1.1 BCI

eminent clothing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast