Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,825

0 members and 2,825 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Growth!

Thanks

Re: Growth!

Quote Originally Posted by Fraido View Post
    I know what you mean about it being tedious waiting for them to get big. 😣 I attempted to use that website to measure my four year old female, she's only approximately 4'7, just shy of 4'8 if I recall. Could be off a little bit because it was my first time using it and I was using my phone. Lol Gonna try a few different methods to measure my new baby, it will be interesting to compare her to my first girl when she gets to be four, and it's nice knowing exactly how old she is. 😃 Do you weigh any of your boas?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    I would like to weigh him, but i cant justify the cost of an accurate scale just to satisfy my curiosity. If i were planning on breeding, or had a few snakes of different ages whose growth i was tracking, then i would surely invest in one.

regarding the site, try taking some pictures of a rope and experiment with different angles and different "rulers" to see what gives you the most accurate results. One thing i o is to make sure to follow his centerline as closely as i can, not cutting any corners and using as many points as needed. Its a little tedious, but only takes few minutes really.
    Which is your 4-year-old?
    1.0 Central American BI: Irwin
    0.1 Jungle, het snow BI: Gimel
    1.0 green albino, het granite Burm: Dr. Waffles
    1.0 Betta fish: Convertible
    1.1 cats: Tipitina (Tipi) and Professor Longhair (Fess)
    0.1 Egyptian baladi dog: Toasty

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dkatz4 View Post
    I would like to weigh him, but i cant justify the cost of an accurate scale just to satisfy my curiosity. If i were planning on breeding, or had a few snakes of different ages whose growth i was tracking, then i would surely invest in one.

regarding the site, try taking some pictures of a rope and experiment with different angles and different "rulers" to see what gives you the most accurate results. One thing i o is to make sure to follow his centerline as closely as i can, not cutting any corners and using as many points as needed. Its a little tedious, but only takes few minutes really.
    Which is your 4-year-old?
    That's pretty much where I stand regarding weighing them.

I'll try that, I'll also hop onto my laptop to do it, it's a struggle using my phone to make all the points on there and keep it accurate.
    My four year old is my anery. She could be younger, I've had her for two years now, and the store I got her from said she had been there for a year and I think they said she was or was almost a year when they got her in. I can't remember!
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

Thanks

That's pretty much where I stand regarding weighing them.

I'll try that, I'll also hop onto my laptop to do it, it's a struggle using my phone to make all the points on there and keep it accurate.
    My four year old is my anery. She could be younger, I've had her for two years now, and the store I got her from said she had been there for a year and I think they said she was or was almost a year when they got her in. I can't remember!

yeah, i tried on my phone a few times and its just really frustrating.
    She's a beaut'! Great body shape too, thats why i want a female next. Although i do enjoy the games involving Irwin slipping through my fingers, i'm dying for a nice solid snake that takes up most of my hand.

Thanks

yeah, i tried on my phone a few times and its just really frustrating.
    She's a beaut'! Great body shape too, thats why i want a female next. Although i do enjoy the games involving Irwin slipping through my fingers, i'm dying for a nice solid snake that takes up most of my hand.
    Very much so! I managed for the most part, but I wouldn't be surprised if it cost me a few inches! Haha

She is a very lean lady (if she IS a lady), sometimes I get worried that she's too small, since she's a BI and I've seen sooo many others that are the same age but signficantly larger. Then I come back and read about the conservative feeding and remember I'm doing a good job. Lol She's getting big slowly, and because of that think/hope she'll be around for a decent amount of time. Get a female, dddooooo itttt.

Thanks

Very much so! I managed for the most part, but I wouldn't be surprised if it cost me a few inches! Haha

She is a very lean lady (if she IS a lady), sometimes I get worried that she's too small, since she's a BI and I've seen sooo many others that are the same age but signficantly larger. Then I come back and read about the conservative feeding and remember I'm doing a good job. Lol She's getting big slowly, and because of that think/hope she'll be around for a decent amount of time. Get a female, dddooooo itttt.
    She might be younger than you were led to believe, like you said, but i think you're on point with the notion that she has the slow-grow body. I know they are supposed to be thicker in the middle, but you see some pics/vids of females with small or normal heads and necks and then they balloon out to the girth of a watermelon, and i'm just thinking, "this cant be right." (and not when they are gravid either).

Oh man, talk about slow, i am working the soft sell on my wife to let me get another. I am actually scared b/c next week is the White Plains expo and i really shouldn't go, but i must! I think if i literally bring nothing but my driver's license and a bag lunch then there is no way i can buy a new noodle. With regard to growing and waiting for growth, part of me would prefer a sub adult who already has some size on her, but it might be easier to convince my wife with a cute little baby or yearling.

Thanks

She might be younger than you were led to believe, like you said, but i think you're on point with the notion that she has the slow-grow body. I know they are supposed to be thicker in the middle, but you see some pics/vids of females with small or normal heads and necks and then they balloon out to the girth of a watermelon, and i'm just thinking, "this cant be right." (and not when they are gravid either).

Oh man, talk about slow, i am working the soft sell on my wife to let me get another. I am actually scared b/c next week is the White Plains expo and i really shouldn't go, but i must! I think if i literally bring nothing but my driver's license and a bag lunch then there is no way i can buy a new noodle. With regard to growing and waiting for growth, part of me would prefer a sub adult who already has some size on her, but it might be easier to convince my wife with a cute little baby or yearling.
    Well, even in the couple years that I've had her it feels like she hasn't changed at all, though I'm sure she has! Just a feeling, though. Lol She does have a good shape, though so I'm not too concerned, she may even be a male for all I know, or yeah, younger. Oh well!

You've gotta get a new noodle, though! 😁 I'd say if you want a subadult then get one.. but if a cute baby snoot could convince the wife, then smother her with cute baby snoots!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fraido For This Useful Post:

dkatz4 (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Well I think the fire might be out. It seems Irwin's summer growth spurt has slowed down as his most recent measure came out to 3ft 9in., only about 1.5 inches longer than last time (August 28)
    Thats OK, i still love him

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Finally, my little man is putting on length! since i got him in early march he's been hovering at 34 inches, and do you know how frustrating it is to say your snake is almost 3 feet long? even after 2 sheds his length was about the same - i know boas are slow growers, but at this point he's only just shy of 2 and i've had him for three months; no growth in a young snake over 3 months; frustrating. So his last measurement was May 7th. Since then he's shed again, and had 2 meals and 2 poops, and turned 2 years old (yesterday!) so i thought i'd check the tale of the tape. 37.3 inches, baby!!! I guess April showers bring more than May flowers!

By the way i use this site for measurements,
    http://serpwidgets.com/main/measure
    (i first checked its accuracy by using a picture of a fiberglass tape measure)

March 28, about 33 1/2 inches

May 7, just about 34 inches

June 14, a whopping 37 and 1/3 inches!!!
    THANK YOU FOR THIS LINK!!!! Exactly what i have been looking for! i just got a 3 month old BCI and want to try to track her growth somewhat.29.5 Inches as of now

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dxw425 View Post
    THANK YOU FOR THIS LINK!!!! Exactly what i have been looking for! i just got a 3 month old BCI and want to try to track her growth somewhat.29.5 Inches as of now
    My pleasure! I honestly forget who, but one of the boa regulars here hooked me up with that site back in march, so I'm just paying it forward. it's actually rather addictive, and what's really fun is looking for ads for snakes that have something to measure in the picture (usually a soda can) and checking to see if the seller's size description is accurate.
    By the way, I keep track of his measurements and all other things with iherp.com, it's designed to help people with large collections, but works perfectly well for just one snake.

Congrats on your baby boa, and happy tracking!

Thanks
    ONE YEAR UPDATE!
    ​Actually more like 13 months, but whose counting?

Irwin shed yesterday, so onto serpwidgets i went after a long winter break

Folks, we are SO DAMN CLOSE to 4 feet! 47.5 inches And, remarkably, after one year, that is exactly one foot of growth. Of course about 9 inches all came between May and September -

[IMG][/IMG]

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dkatz4 For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (04-06-2017)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast