Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,719

0 members and 2,719 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Question Taking my python across the country and need tips

I'm moving across the country with my young ball python (4 years). I was wondering if I can get some tips on how to handle her for the like should I feed her (move is in 4 days), should I do Tupperware, sack, or both, etc. any tips would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Re: Taking my python across the country and need tips

I wouldn't feed her before the move, it will be stressful and you might risk a regurgitation, even if in 4 days I wouldn't risk the extra stress. I would say that using a sack would be a safer way to transport her but unless you will be holding onto her I would have her in the sack but put the sack in a tub so that she is secure, that way you can also put some sort of heat mat to keep her warm if its a longer trip/drive.
    When I take my adult male bp (almost 4 years) to the vet or anywhere else I put him in a rabbit carrier that I got from petco and I put a blanket, a hothands hand warmer (in a custom cloth pocket I made so he wouldn't be in direct contact (even then I always bring the temp gun with so I can make sure it isn't too hot for him), and his emotional support sock monkey (it's not an actual emotional support but he is pretty obsessed with the thing and carries it around by wrapping his tail around it). It has a mesh pocket so he can look around if he wishes but otherwise he can stay hidden and secure the whole way there. It's a transporting method I recommend even if it is sometimes described as being "extra" since he could just go in a sack.
    Last edited by BeansTheDerp; 12-28-2023 at 03:09 PM.
    Be kind, and inspire others to be kind.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeansTheDerp For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (12-28-2023),Malum Argenteum (12-28-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Do not feed her before travel- 4 days is NOT enough time for digestion & having your snake stuck in a nasty travel container with poo is not nice.

Wait until at least 5 days after you get where you're going- to give her time to settle down in the new location- before offering food again.

Best way to transport: First bag your snake in cloth bag or pillow case. Make sure it's sturdy with NO holes. Secure first with twist-tie, then fold that part over on itself & secure w/ rubber band.

Then put some padding (paper or towel) in an insulated "ice chest" (or styro-foam box -the kind used to ship perishable food), & put your bagged snake inside. If it's a styro- box, put in a few pin-holes for air circulation- if it's an ice chest, put a small wad of tape in the opening so it doesn't quite shut tight. Don't trust your memory to open it occasionally for air circulation- snakes don't need a lot of air, but they do need some.

If it's cold (& it's obviously winter now), use a chemical heat packet for warmth but make sure you know how it's done (the snake must not be trapped near it, & it must be totally wrapped for safety). OR, easier & probably safer is a good sized jar (plastic water bottle is best) of HOT tap water- not boiling- & change the water after about 8-10 hours. How long your travel container will stay warm (by any method) depends on how warm or cold your car is, and how big the inside of the container (ice chest) is. DO NOT just use a plastic tub for transport, your snake should only travel in an insulated container to avoid temperature extremes, either cold or hot (a closed car in the sun can overheat your snake, especially if you've also heated what they're travelling in).

I highly recommend you get needed supplies & test this out well BEFORE you travel so you know how much added heat you need- take the actual temps with a temp gun- which hopefully you already have? (& take it with you)

Snakes travel very well- I've moved halfway across the country with 15 snakes packed as I described above. Each night when I stopped I checked on them- handled briefly & gave a drink of water if they wanted it. They were very relaxed & mostly slept- none got sick or had any issues after arrival. BTW, I stayed in motels at night with them- I also had a dog- I paid extra for my obvious (!) dog, but made NO mention of snakes- you won't get a room if you mention snakes, trust me. When you carry an ice chest into a motel, it just looks like snacks for the road, not snakes for the road... No one will know or even ask. Just make sure to be responsible & not allow any escapes...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (12-28-2023),BeansTheDerp (12-28-2023),Malum Argenteum (12-28-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Oh, & by the way, on the road, I'd suggest keeping your BP somewhere in the low 80's, since he'll have no option to get cooler if needed. Don't over-do the heat, just aim for basic comfort, not too cool & not too warm. For a few days traveling, he should be fine.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (12-28-2023)

Thanks
    I will only add I flipped my sacks inside out so there no loose threads to worry about if they squirm around during the trip.

With my recent move from Delaware to Wisconsin only a 16 hour drive but i had to stop at a half way point due to my personal traveling issues and the fact I had 6 sugar gliders with me. ( i even stopped at one place and was refueling and checking on everyone and I smelt that a snake turded lol. so I had a spare sack with me lucky. and I was swapping the sack out and a person saw me with the snake around my neck as i was emptying the dirty sack and tossing it in the trailer and put the snake back in the clean sack,. and spent like 30 minutes trying to talk me into selling her to them as they recently lost their snake from a week of no heat the previous winter. I could only imagine if they saw her daughter in the other sack lol what they offer.. but these gals are my children just like my gliders are.
    Was married to 4theSNAKElady (still wish we were)
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

4.2 sugar gliders ( non breeding pets)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mechnut450 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-01-2024),Homebody (01-02-2024)