Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,818

0 members and 1,818 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Thread: Humidity

Thanks

Humidity

I'm having a hard time keeping the humidity up in my BP's terrarium, and I've tried covering up the screen, to putting a water source directly on/under the heat source. I bought a humidifier today, one that's wireless. Can I put that in there?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    Can't answer that, there's all kind of humidifiers, but probably not unless it's designed to be IN a reptile cage. Might not be safe for the snake, for one reason or another. Can you post pics or a link to the actual product?

Also- how are you covering up the screen? With what, specifically? How big are the air gaps you're leaving, exactly? Pics would also help. You might just be doing that incorrectly, as many do.

Also, how are you measuring the humidity? (I ask, because the inexpensive & ubiquitous humidity gauges are not very accurate.)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-23-2023 at 07:35 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (12-23-2023),Homebody (12-24-2023),Malum Argenteum (12-23-2023)

Thanks

Re: Humidity

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Can't answer that, there's all kind of humidifiers, but probably not unless it's designed to be IN a reptile cage. Might not be safe for the snake, for one reason or another. Can you post pics or a link to the actual product?

Also- how are you covering up the screen? With what, specifically? How big are the air gaps you're leaving, exactly? Pics would also help. You might just be doing that incorrectly, as many do.

Also, how are you measuring the humidity? (I ask, because the inexpensive & ubiquitous humidity gauges are not very accurate.)
    What would be an accurate method of measuring humidity?

Thanks

A hydrometer, I recommend the hydrometer + thermometer by govee! It's digital, the ones you find at pet stores are usually inaccurate with measuring the humidity and ambient temps.
    Be kind, and inspire others to be kind.

Thanks

Do you have any moss in the enclosure? Moss is a good way to add decor and humidity. You want an ambient humidity level but you can also make a humidity hide by getting an extra hide and stuffing some damp moss inside of it. Just like Bogertophis said, some humidifiers might not be good, so you will want to find one that you know for sure is reptile safe. Otherwise would a misting system do any good?
    Be kind, and inspire others to be kind.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 411 Posts
    Sounds like a screen top cage (fish tank or ExoTerra) with a heat lamp, which is certainly the most difficult setup to work with by far.

Rebel, some photos and a full description of the setup would help get you good advice.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-24-2023)