Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 330

8 members and 322 guests
Most users ever online was 3,642, 05-08-2016 at 08:50 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 64,845
Threads: 239,414
Posts: 2,487,698
Top Poster: JLC (31,652)
Welcome to our newest member, hectorspe
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    BPnet Veteran
    Join Date
    05-27-2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    860
    Thanks
    260
    Thanked 266 Times in 259 Posts

    Dubia heating questions

    I'm going to me raising some dubias for my ever growing T collection, but have some questions about heating first. I was thinking about getting Repti-therm heating mat and attaching that to a light dimmer (and have a thermometer to check the temps) and then control it that way, would that work? What's a good number to order? I was thinking about getting a bunch of little nymphs and then some juvies and some adults, as most of my Ts are under 2" (I have 27 of them).

  2. #2
    Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-21-2010
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    11,987
    Thanks
    6,154
    Thanked 6,865 Times in 4,210 Posts
    Images: 3
    Yes you could use the dimmer.
    I just keep my dubia in my wifes lizard room, ambient temp in there is around 80 degrees.
    I don't give any extra heat and they breed just fine.

  3. #3
    Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-21-2010
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    11,987
    Thanks
    6,154
    Thanked 6,865 Times in 4,210 Posts
    Images: 3
    How often are you feeding your tarantulas?
    I would get a couple months supply of nymphs, 2 or 3 adult males and 15 to 20 females.
    I started mines in two tubs: 1 to feed out of an the other was for the adults to get breeding.

  4. #4
    Apprentice SPAM Janitor MarkS's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-22-2005
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    6,239
    Thanks
    1,535
    Thanked 2,671 Times in 1,594 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Images: 3

    Re: Dubia heating questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Pampho85 View Post
    I'm going to me raising some dubias for my ever growing T collection, but have some questions about heating first. I was thinking about getting Repti-therm heating mat and attaching that to a light dimmer (and have a thermometer to check the temps) and then control it that way, would that work? What's a good number to order? I was thinking about getting a bunch of little nymphs and then some juvies and some adults, as most of my Ts are under 2" (I have 27 of them).
    I keep mine on top of my snake racks near the ceiling, it stays plenty warm up there. Remember that these grow slowly and it can take 6 months for them to reach sexual maturity so I'd start with more adults if you want to start producing more quickly.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

  5. #5
    BPnet Veteran
    Join Date
    05-27-2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    860
    Thanks
    260
    Thanked 266 Times in 259 Posts

    Re: Dubia heating questions

    Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    How often are you feeding your tarantulas?
    I would get a couple months supply of nymphs, 2 or 3 adult males and 15 to 20 females.
    I started mines in two tubs: 1 to feed out of an the other was for the adults to get breeding.
    Thanks for the reply!

    I feed my smallest ones every day, other slings get fed every other, juvies+ once/twice a week.

  6. #6
    Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-21-2010
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    11,987
    Thanks
    6,154
    Thanked 6,865 Times in 4,210 Posts
    Images: 3

    Re: Dubia heating questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Pampho85 View Post
    I feed my smallest ones every day, other slings get fed every other, juvies+ once/twice a week.
    WoW....... Make me feel bad now. I feed all mine once or twice a week.

  7. #7
    BPnet Veteran
    Join Date
    05-27-2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    860
    Thanks
    260
    Thanked 266 Times in 259 Posts

    Re: Dubia heating questions

    Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    WoW....... Make me feel bad now. I feed all mine once or twice a week.
    Haha, no harm in that, the ones I feed everyday (if they do end up taking it) are around 0.5" and the ones every other day are less than 2". The rest are once/twice a week depending on how many feeders I have haha.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    WoW....... Make me feel bad now. I feed all mine once or twice a week.
    Do you know of any cheap dubia sources that offer a starter pack that would fit the description of what I'm looking for?

  8. #8
    Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-21-2010
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    11,987
    Thanks
    6,154
    Thanked 6,865 Times in 4,210 Posts
    Images: 3

    Re: Dubia heating questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Pampho85 View Post
    Do you know of any cheap dubia sources that offer a starter pack that would fit the description of what I'm looking for?
    I don't. I found someone local off of Craigslist that was overloaded with them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1