Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,973

2 members and 2,971 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Opinions on Rat's Injury

I currently can't take said rat to the vet, so I'm just wondering what people's opinions are on what might be wrong. As soon as possible he will be getting a vet trip.

Our rats will frequently come on short trips in the car with us, and lastnight at about ten we took a trip to the grocery store and they tagged along. They don't come into the store, they hangout in the car, and upon arriving back to the car, one was cruising around somewhere, as usual. The boyfriend and I both hopped in the car, he was less careless than I would have liked and 'gently' closed his door without looking and of course obviously the rat had blocked it. (No squeak was heard.) He retrieved said rat from under the seat where it had retreated, and hugged him for a minute or two feeling him and looking at him to make sure he was okay. He sat still on my lap the entire ride home (unusual), so we knew something was up.

When we got inside it was clear that he'd been hit by the door, since his breathing was strange, it was squeaky/wheezy and short breaths. I felt around on him, to see if he was in pain anywhere, no squeaking, no other signs of pain anywhere. I wondered if perhaps the wind was knocked out of him, but I offered him a piece of a tasty snack and he was having trouble swallowing it so I then thought it must be his neck, like he was looking out the door. I wasn't sure if he was going to make it through the night.

Fast forward to this morning, his breathing is worse, gasping and wheezy, lots of difficulty breathing. I've been thinking about it and best case scenario I think his neck was hit, and it has caused his throat to swell up creating the difficulty to breath and swallow, maybe. My other thought is that it was his chest and he may have punctured a lung. I feel like he would show signs of pain if it were the latter, though.

What do you guys think? We picked up some infant liquid advil to relieve any pain if there is some and to relieve swelling if I am correct about throat swelling. We will see what the advil does for him, I'm hoping he improves as I feel that would point towards the throat swelling. Hopefully it will at least help him until we get him to a vet.
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: Opinions on Rat's Injury

Well, everything we could offer here would be pure speculation. It seems you are doing the right things..unfortunately i think only a xray will be the true indicator of what damage has been done. Of course the history of present illness coupled with a professional physical exam will be telling. Good luck in any case.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Fraido (06-08-2016)

Thanks

Absolutely, speculating right now is all anyone can do. When we can get him to the vet I don't know if I'll be able to do xrays, if it isn't able to resolve itself I'm likely going to have to have him PTS. I'm hoping for the best, though. He moves normally so nothing appears to be broken, and I'm fairly confident that his chest was not hit, knowing his behaviour, and in the 15 seconds it takes to open the door, sit down, and close the door, he would only be poking his head out sniffing and looking out.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Poor little guy - hope he makes a full and quick recovery. Hopefully it's just some bruising that's affecting his breathing. Best wishes <3
    Valentine's Keeper

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Snoopyslim For This Useful Post:

Fraido (06-08-2016)

Thanks

Thank you, I'm hoping so as well. The Advil has been given, the boyfriend is currently home with him so I'll see how he is when I get home. I hope it helps him.

It really sucks when you accidentally hurt your pet. A couple months ago I Had a baby rat, approximately two months, crawl into my box fan without me knowing and when I turned the fan on it sliced open his face real good.

This guy's my boyfriend's baby and I'm sure it's killing him inside knowing he hurt is baby. 😳

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Aww man there is nothing worse then hurting your own pet but accidents do happen so you can't beat yourself up. They are such small and agile creatures it's hard to keep track of them. Sounds like you two are great owners bringing them for trips and stuff...they probably love that. So sad about the fan incident, seems to have healed nicely though considering.

We had a very sad incident happen when I was about 12. We used to take our African Grey Parrot everywhere with us, Peanut, was part of the family, even ate dinner with us. Well one time while we were camping (which he had done on many occasions) he was annoyed that we were not paying attention to him since we were setting up the camp and he tried to fly out into the lagoon and do a little lap back to the campsite. There is an eagles nest on the other side of the lagoon and he must have been watching because as soon as Peanut took flight the eagle scooped him...it was awful we were all crying hysterically and to this day I can't mention Peanut to my father. What's worse is that's where we have camped our whole lives (including my father's parents) and know and love those eagles. Looking back I don't think my dad should have brought our parrot camping so it really was his fault and we should have had him in the cage but it was a very unusual circumstance and his wings were clipped so he could only really flutter. Still so awful and I hate to think that Peanut would have been with me my whole life, he was such a character.

Sorry for the sad story.
    Last edited by Snoopyslim; 06-08-2016 at 12:38 PM.
    Valentine's Keeper

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Snoopyslim For This Useful Post:

Fraido (06-09-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Please keep up posted on his recovery <3
    Valentine's Keeper

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Snoopyslim For This Useful Post:

Fraido (06-09-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopyslim View Post
    Aww man there is nothing worse then hurting your own pet but accidents do happen so you can't beat yourself up. They are such small and agile creatures it's hard to keep track of them. Sounds like you two are great owners bringing them for trips and stuff...they probably love that. So sad about the fan incident, seems to have healed nicely though considering.

We had a very sad incident happen when I was about 12. We used to take our African Grey Parrot everywhere with us, Peanut, was part of the family, even ate dinner with us. Well one time while we were camping (which he had done on many occasions) he was annoyed that we were not paying attention to him since we were setting up the camp and he tried to fly out into the lagoon and do a little lap back to the campsite. There is an eagles nest on the other side of the lagoon and he must have been watching because as soon as Peanut took flight the eagle scooped him...it was awful we were all crying hysterically and to this day I can't mention Peanut to my father. What's worse is that's where we have camped our whole lives (including my father's parents) and know and love those eagles. Looking back I don't think my dad should have brought our parrot camping so it really was his fault and we should have had him in the cage but it was a very unusual circumstance and his wings were clipped so he could only really flutter. Still so awful and I hate to think that Peanut would have been with me my whole life, he was such a character.

Sorry for the sad story.
    It really is the worst. Pip did heal up nicely, though. He lost one tooth and I thought for sure it was sliced right out and it was impossible for it to come back, but a couple weeks ago I noticed it poking through and it's slowly pushing everything back to normal. (His teeth were funky from the accident, the remaining top tooth was angled in a way to grind both the bottom teeth, so now both teeth are slowly resolving that.)

That would be so upsetting, I can only imagine! Looking back on things like that sucks, because you start to analyze what went wrong and how you could have avoided everything. With Choo Choo (the rat with the suspected neck injury) I keep thinking about how I was JUST about to remind my boyfriend about watching for the rat, and if we just hadn't of brought him lastnight he would be fine right now. *sigh* I hope it resolves on its own before I can get him to the vet, less stress on him and the boyfriends wallet. 😳

Thanks

Well. Unfortunately he passed away overnight.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Rest in Peace, Choo Choo.. October 13th, 2014-June 9th, 2016
    The last photo I took of Choo, lastnight.

Choo taking a nap on the bed last weekend

Choo outside in the backyard a couple weeks ago

Choo being a dentist

Choo wrestling with Moo

This is exactly how I saw Choo sleeping with his buddy lastnight in the cage, the last time I saw him before finding him this morning

Some more cuddles with Nixon

A couple randoms

I suppose what hurts the most is that he was such a loving, cuddly rat, and it kills to know that we'll never cuddle with him anymore, we'll never get his adorable kisses again, we'll never get another rat just like Choo.
    Last edited by Fraido; 06-09-2016 at 09:48 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast