Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 518

0 members and 518 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

building a rack, checking my plans.

well, it's time for me to build a rack system for my kids. i've been planning to for a while now, and i figure it's a good time since i'm moving, and there's no way i'm hauling that 55 gallon aquarium up multiple flights of stairs. i think i have my building plan set, but i still have a few questions.

i want the tub off the flexwatt both to allow a bit of airflow and so that the tub doesn't slide across the flexwatt, so i'm going to put a couple of risers in so that the tub is elevated just a bit. is a quarter inch enough, or should it be a bit more?

next, what is the foil tape used for? could i not use electrical tape to secure the flexwatt?

will the flexwatt maintain air temps in the sterilite tubs with the lid on? proper air flow will be added thru holes in the sides.

and how should i go about lighting a rack? i've thought about a flourescent tube-style light behind the rack. would ambient light be enough?

and finally, i'm planning on wiring my flexwatts in a series (i.e. plug-flexwatt-cord-flexwatt etc). should i solder both cords to the same side of the flexwatt, or one at each end?

hopefully someone has some answers to these questions. i'll be building at the end of the week, and any help will be appreciated. thanks.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: building a rack, checking my plans.

This is the excact rack i built http://arbreptiles.com/cages/iris_rack/iris_rack.shtml dont worry about the light as long as they are in a room with a window. To wire in series basically one side is positive the other is negative. also you dont need the foil tape i just used silicone but electrical tape will work as well.

Thanks

i want the tub off the flexwatt both to allow a bit of airflow and so that the tub doesn't slide across the flexwatt, so i'm going to put a couple of risers in so that the tub is elevated just a bit. is a quarter inch enough, or should it be a bit more?
    That sounds perfect, actually you can use the foiul tape on top of the flexwatt to provide a protective sheet..

next, what is the foil tape used for? could i not use electrical tape to secure the flexwatt?

The foil tape is best as it will allow for almost perfect thermal transmission.. The black tape actually acts as a insulator...

will the flexwatt maintain air temps in the sterilite tubs with the lid on? proper air flow will be added thru holes in the sides.

This really depends ont he ambient temps in your room..

and how should i go about lighting a rack? i've thought about a flourescent tube-style light behind the rack. would ambient light be enough?

Ambient will be plenty, remember your working with animals that dont like the day time so to speak

and finally, i'm planning on wiring my flexwatts in a series (i.e. plug-flexwatt-cord-flexwatt etc). should i solder both cords to the same side of the flexwatt, or one at each end?
    http://www.mgreptiles.com/FLEXWIRING.html
    Just a reptile lover!!!!!

Thanks

rob, i looked at the schematic for your rack when i was designing mine (went thru the whole caging forum before i posted my questions)... looks really good. and matt, i'll be ordering my flexwatt from you tomorrow. : )

to clarify on my wiring question (i'm bad at wording)- let's say i have a piece already wired to a plug, like in the picture on matt's website. i want to add additional pieces to this first flexwatt, rather than start them each with new plugs. plans for right now- three pieces of flexwatt, wired together, one plug. when i wire the first piece to the second piece, should i solder the wires leading between the pieces to the side of the first flexwatt that already has wires soldered to it (leading to the plug), or the side that is not soldered? or does it matter?

maybe thats a little better.

thanks for the info, i'll try to post some pics when i get everything put together.