Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,223

1 members and 3,222 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Question Anole Help- Starving?

ok heres the deal. this is my very first lizard of any sort. its a pretty cool story how i got it. neighbors of people i know went to florida. and when they left they took on a lil hitch hiker(a lil anole). they bounced around for a month before getting home. so this lil anole was seald up in a cardboard box for four weeks. when they unpacked they thought it was a dried up leaf until it moved. it was given to the people i know. cause they are lovers of all creatures. lol or my buddys wife is any way. there it lived in a lil jar with some wet lettuce for a couple days. they gave it to me cause i said i would love to take care of the lil guy/gal. its been doing well as far as i know. i have it in a 10gal fish tank. there are 2 ivys an some wood for it to climb bask on. have a 60watt full spectrum light going for it during the day. the humidty an temp are good. its color has lightend from its highly aggitated dark brown. its active for as much as i guess they get. but heres the thing. it hasnt eaten as far as i know. i got it a dozen crikets and the few that didnt drown in its water bowl are just running around still. so i got it some wax worms. i think it "might" have eaten one. but not to sure on that. i doubt it tho. he/she is pretty small. around 4" i think. not including its tail. and the weather here is still to cool for me to try an catch any lil flying bugs for it. its been drinking water. ive watched it lapping it up from the water bowl i have for it. a buddy from FL told me they like termites. but i cant get any around here. and also there is no type of vet around here i can bring it to. any buddy have any ideas on what i might do for it? its a cute lil thing. an i dont want to watch it starve to death. any ideas would be great. feel free to email me direct if you like.....Thanks, Dale
    Smile, it's free!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,322 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Anole Help- Starving?

pretty cool how you got this little guy. make sure that the crickets you are offering it are not any bigger than the anole's head. they can't handle too big of a cricket. only put in one or two at a time and if they are not eaten in 24 hours remove them because they will stress the little guy. if he does eat them you can give him several more just making sure that there aren't any left over running around in the cage. you can also try mealworms. some anoles love them, some won't look twice at them, but you never know. you can offer him some peach baby food in a dish as well, making sure to remove the dish after 24 hours so it doesn't start to mold. are you using any supplements? it is a good idea to dust the crickets with a vitamin and/or calcium powder like reptivite.
    - Emily

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Anole Help- Starving?

hey thanks for the info mlededee. its been eating the wax worms. i took out the last two remaining crikets. i read on a site that for the anoles to get the calcium they need from there food. all you have to do is put a full spectrum light or a uvb light for them. should i go ahead an dust its food anyway with some kind of vitamin powder?
    Smile, it's free!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,322 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Blog Entries

yes you should go ahead and dust the crickets and you can dust the worms as well. i'm glad he has been eating the worms. it might be a good idea to offer him crickets every few days as well to see if he will start eating those as well. wax worms contain a lot of fat and aren't the best nutritionally but they are fine as part of a varied diet. if that is all he will eat then it is good that he is at least eating something, but i would try to get him to eat crickets here and there as well. good luck!
    - Emily

Thanks

Last Summer my kids caught 2 female brown anoles down in Florida and wanted to keep them, so We brought home two girls! I set up a 20 gal high tank with a little play sand on the bottom, the herp wood chips on top of the sand, some decorative rocks ( the ones you buy in the pet store), Some vines, on top of the cage i have two lights, a ulb and a basking light.

I fed my anoles wax worms, meal worms and crickets they always enjoyed them.
    I had my girls for a year living great, i would mist the tank and make sure they were taken care of very well, unfortunatly the girls just past away ( i have no idea how long the live for anyways) But i figured for live caught anoles they did rather well, ( i even had egg's and baby's last year ) Now all i have is a lonely male anole, I might just get another female for him i have'nt decided just yet.

Just Click on picture for full size

Today i'm going to clean the tank i'll post later to show you a nice clean tank