Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,964

2 members and 2,962 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Locking Rack/tubs?

I have a daughter that is under a year old, and am trying to figure out how to keep her out of any snake racks I get. The snakes will be kept in my office behind a locked door but I'd feel more comfortable if the rack has some sort of lock or something to prevent her from pulling on the tubs. Any ideas would be appreciated, I plan on building my own rack soon so this is something I can include while it gets built.
    1 Normal BP: Voldemort

Thanks
    Kids are super smart and quite often us parents end up underestimating them. But to "lock" a snake rack from the reaches of a child would mostly have to include an advanced puzzle or a key. Depending on how many snakes you have and how cheap you want to be, you could end up have 15 keys and you find yourself confused and frustrated and it becomes time consuming. The best thing for you is to include a baby gate if you want to keep your office door open for any reason. or put in a cheap movement alarm that is loud enough to make you aware that someone who isn't you entered the office. Should give you enough time to get to your office before your daughter gets into anything.

I personally have never had any issues with my children going into the racks without permission... but my kids are also 6 and 7 and I do include them in the hobby so they are not curious and they know they get to handle the snakes without having to sneak around.

I hope you find a solution though, and when you do, please share with the world.
    Last edited by BCS; 05-02-2016 at 03:16 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BCS For This Useful Post:

Megg (05-06-2016)

Thanks
    Haha yeah she's just starting to understand "No" - not that saying no does anything to stop her. I'm hoping by the time she's old enough to figure out keys she'll know not to play around with the snakes.

Thanks
    You can do this very simply. If you have one rack that is only one tub per level then get 2 brackets that you would be able to fit a wood or steel bar through. Put one on the bottom and one on the top of the rack and then the bar or whatever you use would slide into them covering the front making it impossible to pull the tubs out
    You can drill through to make a hole to put a bad lock on

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scottywelsh For This Useful Post:

Megg (05-06-2016)

Thanks
    Google snake rack bar lock and you will see what I mean.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scottywelsh For This Useful Post:

Amelydia (05-02-2016),Megg (05-06-2016)

Thanks
    Oh AWESOME! thank you! So something like this, and obviously putting the lock at the top will make it harder for her to get into even when she's older

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Amelydia For This Useful Post:

Megg (05-06-2016)

Thanks
    Exactly. Cheap to do, easy to do and very secure.
    Just remember if there not very heavy they could possibly be pulled over by holding onto the bar when she gets older so maybe a wall anchor just incase. Probably not necessary but thought I'd mention it just incase
    Good Luck.

Thanks

Re: Locking Rack/tubs?

Here's what I came up with to keep toddlers out: Drill 3/8" holes all the way through each shelf other than the bottom one (90 degree bit adapter may be required, bottom shelf is drilled out only like 1/4 of the way through), insert a 1/4" steel rod into the holes, add a locking hasp on the top of the unit that when locked, will block the steel rod from being removed. Better looking and more secure than the pipe thing IMO.

https://imgur.com/a/C1sL5P9

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jspratt97 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-28-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Re: Locking Rack/tubs?

Quote Originally Posted by jspratt97 View Post
    Here's what I came up with to keep toddlers out: Drill 3/8" holes all the way through each shelf other than the bottom one (90 degree bit adapter may be required, bottom shelf is drilled out only like 1/4 of the way through), insert a 1/4" steel rod into the holes, add a locking hasp on the top of the unit that when locked, will block the steel rod from being removed. Better looking and more secure than the pipe thing IMO.

https://imgur.com/a/C1sL5P9
    MUCH better looking!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)