Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,878

0 members and 2,878 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

social Hedgehogs

Hello everyone,

I am considering a Hedgehog but before i get more invested in the idea i need to know more about their sociability. I have heard, as I'm sure have many, that they can be nippy or not social, so i don't need information on that. I would really like people to talk about their good experiences with hedgehogs, stories about owning social affectionate sweet hedgehogs. I imagine there are limitations to how much social time they can handle so I'd like to know about that, and please any tips on how to best go about teaching them affection. Full disclosure: i am familiar with rats and the insane amount of cuddle time they give, I'm aware Hedgehogs are not that social but if i could teach it something close to that level that would be good knowledge to have.

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: social Hedgehogs

My girl is not an example of an affectionate hedgie. She will hiss, huff and pop at me when I go to take her out. She has been known to take a chomp when she is not getting her way, or when you just stick your finger in her face and hold it there. I know you don't want to hear about how UNaffectionate they are, but that's the easiest way to explain them. You can get a hedgie that will curl up and take a nap in your lap (my girl will walk out of my lap every time, but this is a GREAT way to bond with them), but you shouldn't get one and expect it to want to be with you, or to really enjoy being touched. It takes a lot of bonding, daily bonding of at least thirty minutes every day, in order to get them to that point, and even then you should expect your hedgehog to act like a hedgehog.

A lot of people will get a hedgehog and don't actually fully understand that their hedgie will always be a hedgie and affection is not their strongpoint. If you get a hedgehog, it could take months for it to really warm up and get comfortable with your scent, and a new smell can upset them. I don't know if you've ever handled a hedgie, but don't believe anyone who tells you their quills (they're actually spines but nobody really calls them that ever) don't hurt, they most definitely hurt! I almost dropped my girl once, caught her in my hands and OW. Made me bleed, lol. When I handle her daily, and at an appropriate time (since they are nocturnal and will be grumpy when handled during the day), she warms up quickly, and she loves to come out and run all around, in fact she would much rather run around than sit with me. She would pretty much always lay down her quills straight away and she could be pet down her back, she has never appreciated her face being touched, however.

Overall, I enjoy hedgehogs. I only know my girl, and a breeder who doesn't really handle, so my experience is limited. I recommend checking out Hedgehog Central if you want to know more, the forums are a good place to see friendly examples of hedgies as well as the struggles people have, you're just likely to learn a lot more there.
    Last edited by Fraido; 04-30-2016 at 06:14 PM.
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

Thanks

Since i now have a hedgehog i should write something in case others want to use this thread to get answers. My hedgehog was very well socialized by the breeder i got him from. For the first few days he was very shy, but each day he becomes more and more social. I'm still at the point where he will hiss and pop when i want to pick him up, but as soon and i get him in my hands he uncurls and starts looking around and sniffing me happily. It's not just me though, he's figured out that when he's being held by a human he's safe so if i have a friend hold him he will start exploring them too. As for cuddling, i found he's very content just sleeping in a shirt pouch for a couple hours, so i highly recommend having a hoodie to put a hedgie in during the colder months, and sewing a quill-proof pouch to a t-shirt for the hotter months. It's a great way to relax with your hedgehog while watching tv, reading a book, and even doing homework, and that way school wont get in the way social-time.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Faolan For This Useful Post:

Fraido (06-07-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Faolan View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am considering a Hedgehog but before i get more invested in the idea i need to know more about their sociability. I have heard, as I'm sure have many, that they can be nippy or not social, so i don't need information on that. I would really like people to talk about their good experiences with hedgehogs, stories about owning social affectionate sweet hedgehogs. I imagine there are limitations to how much social time they can handle so I'd like to know about that, and please any tips on how to best go about teaching them affection. Full disclosure: i am familiar with rats and the insane amount of cuddle time they give, I'm aware Hedgehogs are not that social but if i could teach it something close to that level that would be good knowledge to have.

Thanks!

All of my Hedgehogs are very loving and friendly and our female even lets us handle them at birth and still cares for them.

Thanks

From what I gathered with my own hedgie they tend to be veerrry non social. They can be ok with you but will never really be cuddly.

They take a ton of time and soo much room you wouldn't believe it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk