Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,752

1 members and 2,751 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CO2 euthanasia?

Thanks

CO2 euthanasia?

Hi. I am actually a pet rat breeder but sometimes I need to cull my rats for health or a variety of reasons. I'd like to do it properly and I figured you all would give the best nonjudgemental advice

Im sorry if any of my questions are really stupid....

if I get like a paintball canister, how long is it good for? I won't be using it all that often will it be ok for months sitting around without use?
    Is there anything I should know about storing it safely?

Is this the right type of tank I am looking for? Like this?

I read that I need a regulator, are there differences, does it matter which one? It looks like on amazon there are lots around $50 give or take does that seem like a good price?
    is the regulator easy to use?

Is there anything else I need (besides tubes/containers)?

Thanks so much!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pussicat For This Useful Post:

wolfy-hound (12-04-2016)

Thanks

Re: CO2 euthanasia?

Welcome, I can't help you with any of this information, but I'm glad to see a pet rat breeder who is more open minded. A lot of rat owners in general are VERY much against at home euthanasia, but I feel that is because they are ignorant, uneducated about how to do so humanely and properly.

I am curious, however, as to why you choose to cull this way? Aside from health reasons, I get it, but I can't think of any other reasons to cull like this as opposed to just retiring unacceptable rats.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fraido View Post
    Welcome, I can't help you with any of this information, but I'm glad to see a pet rat breeder who is more open minded. A lot of rat owners in general are VERY much against at home euthanasia, but I feel that is because they are ignorant, uneducated about how to do so humanely and properly.

I am curious, however, as to why you choose to cull this way? Aside from health reasons, I get it, but I can't think of any other reasons to cull like this as opposed to just retiring unacceptable rats.

most of the breeders I know do hard cull but it isnt that openly discussed idk nonbreeders & some breeders get too emotional for it I guess. I feel as a breeder it is something I have to know in case of an emergency and being able to do it myself is useful.

Mostly it is for health issues by far. I keep many just as pets. I already cull litter size & don't breed that many lines. But space & expense are always an issue. I can only keep so many rats at a time. I'd rather the spots go to wonderful rats either for breeding or lovely pets.
    Not really an issue with my established lines but I have added several new lines and if it happens to have a rat that has any aggression or health issues it is just better for them and me to let them pass.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pussicat For This Useful Post:

wolfy-hound (12-04-2016)

Thanks

Interesting, I don't know many breeders or anything, just seeing a thread about home euth. on a rat forum was enough for me. Every person was against it except the person who started the thread.

Understandable.

BPnet Veteran Jabberwocky Dragons's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pussicat View Post
    Hi. I am actually a pet rat breeder but sometimes I need to cull my rats for health or a variety of reasons. I'd like to do it properly and I figured you all would give the best nonjudgemental advice

Im sorry if any of my questions are really stupid....

if I get like a paintball canister, how long is it good for? I won't be using it all that often will it be ok for months sitting around without use?
    Is there anything I should know about storing it safely?

Is this the right type of tank I am looking for? Like this?

I read that I need a regulator, are there differences, does it matter which one? It looks like on amazon there are lots around $50 give or take does that seem like a good price?
    is the regulator easy to use?

Is there anything else I need (besides tubes/containers)?

Thanks so much!
    Welcome! You won't find judgement here about humane euthanasia. Thank you for taking the time for learning how to do it properly.

Here is the setup I have, it's $40 with expedited shipping included. This will provide your tank and an easy to use regulator.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Empire-2...oAAOxyepRRv23i

You need to get a rubbermaid or sterlite container appropriately sized to the number of rats you intend on putting down at once. This can range from shoebox sized for just a few XXL rats on up. Drill a tiny hole in the side just large enough to wedge the end of your CO2 coil in. At this point you can seal it in if you'd like but it's not necessary if the fit is tight enough.

Add a thin layer of substrate (makes cleaning easier afterwards) and then add your rats. Close the lid. Start the regulator off slowly, NOT full blast. Go slow until they fall asleep and then you can turn it up. They will die in their sleep after several minutes. This is the most humane way. A little CO2 causes them to fall unconscious while an immediate full blast causes panic.

The regulator is very easy to use. You'll understand immediately once you have it. Turning it opens or tightens the valve so the tighter you turn it, the more CO2 you release. Loosen it to reduce the CO2.

I have no idea how long CO2 is good for in the canister. I've had it sitting around for several months with no damage to the canister. Try to fill it up at a local, independent place versus a chain. A chain will cost more and they never fill it all the way for me. I found a local place that gives consistently full refills for a few bucks.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jabberwocky Dragons For This Useful Post:

wolfy-hound (04-30-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fraido View Post
    Interesting, I don't know many breeders or anything, just seeing a thread about home euth. on a rat forum was enough for me. Every person was against it except the person who started the thread.

Understandable.

Ha. I thought your name looked familiar. I am on also on that forum & remember reading that post. That is so why I think people do not try to mention it around pet owners. It gets heated.

Welcome! You won't find judgement here about humane euthanasia. Thank you for taking the time for learning how to do it properly.

Here is the setup I have, it's $40 with expedited shipping included. This will provide your tank and an easy to use regulator.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Empire-2...oAAOxyepRRv23i

You need to get a rubbermaid or sterlite container appropriately sized to the number of rats you intend on putting down at once. This can range from shoebox sized for just a few XXL rats on up. Drill a tiny hole in the side just large enough to wedge the end of your CO2 coil in. At this point you can seal it in if you'd like but it's not necessary if the fit is tight enough.

Add a thin layer of substrate (makes cleaning easier afterwards) and then add your rats. Close the lid. Start the regulator off slowly, NOT full blast. Go slow until they fall asleep and then you can turn it up. They will die in their sleep after several minutes. This is the most humane way. A little CO2 causes them to fall unconscious while an immediate full blast causes panic.

The regulator is very easy to use. You'll understand immediately once you have it. Turning it opens or tightens the valve so the tighter you turn it, the more CO2 you release. Loosen it to reduce the CO2.

I have no idea how long CO2 is good for in the canister. I've had it sitting around for several months with no damage to the canister. Try to fill it up at a local, independent place versus a chain. A chain will cost more and they never fill it all the way for me. I found a local place that gives consistently full refills for a few bucks.
    Thanks so much! ahh it has everything included with it so all I would need is the plastic container then?
    I live in such a tiny town, hopefully i can find a place nearby to fill it up. lol

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pussicat For This Useful Post:

wolfy-hound (04-30-2016)

Thanks

Ha. I thought your name looked familiar. I am on also on that forum & remember reading that post. That is so why I think people do not try to mention it around pet owners. It gets heated.
    Lol, yeah it does get pretty heated. Do you use the same username there?

BPnet Veteran Jabberwocky Dragons's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks so much! ahh it has everything included with it so all I would need is the plastic container then?
    I live in such a tiny town, hopefully i can find a place nearby to fill it up. lol
    No problem! Right, all you would need is the plastic container and a place to fill it up.

First try paintball shops. You may be surprised... in a small town there's probably a completely different store type that supplements with paintball supplies.

If you're not having any luck, try calling gas companies that sell much larger quantities than a paintball canister (such as AirGas) and ask them if they know of a local place that will it. That's how I found my current place.

Edit: Also, you could afterwards put the dead rats in ziploc bags, freeze them, and sell them to your local pet store for a few bucks or store credit. Or donate them to a reptile rescue. Better then just letting them go to waste. Or you could always get a ball python...or two
    Last edited by Jabberwocky Dragons; 04-30-2016 at 10:08 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts

I've been tossing around CO2 for awhile and did a ton of research. I have one big woma python that refuses to eat live or frozen thawed, apparently he was getting fresh killed mice from the guy before me. I just bought a setup and I'll post the links for what I'm using, bought it all from Amazon.com. I don't like the refill CO2 tank idea, such a pain to try to get it refilled, especially for someone who lives in a very remote location such as myself. I like the disposable CO2 containers better. You can just use them and replace and they are shipped full of CO2, much smaller footprint than a large tank, easier to move around, and with a big tank I'm not sure how long to leave it running, you'd have to guess. With a small disposable you'd just use the whole cartridge. Also, keep in mind that CO2 is the only approved way to put down your rodents. I've seen lawsuits against pet shops that banged the rodents on a hard surface to kill them or froze them alive and the long arm of the law busted them and confiscated their snakes. CO2 is the only way to go to be safe. Also, I've seen XXL rats sell for $12 per rat frozen, so if you are putting down your old breeders and freezing them you can resell them for some good money, just sell them as soon as you can after freezing so they are fresh. You may want to post an ad in a local Craig's List or bulletin board, you may want to weigh them and post their weight in grams when selling. Here's what I used for my CO2 chamber, costs me about a dollar a shot to put down a tub of mice or rats, I think it cost me just over $60 for the whole setup and that includes 30 rounds of gas (so really just over $30 for the setup without gas). I haven't used it or put it together yet, maybe today I'll try it out. My Woma python just shed and is in a good mood and I have one big fat stinky male mouse that figured out the snakes were trying to eat him alive and he jumps out of the feeding tubs when I try to feed him LOL. (I have several ball pythons that won't eat anything but live mice). He would be perfect for trying out my CO2 setup.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Innova...ilpage_o04_s00

http://www.amazon.com/Mosa-Gram-Thre...ilpage_o02_s00

http://www.amazon.com/Sistema-Klip-C...ilpage_o03_s00

http://www.amazon.com/ITI-TR-413-Rub...ilpage_o03_s00
    Last edited by cchardwick; 05-01-2016 at 10:12 AM.

Thanks

I found this helpful: (American Veterinary Medical Association) AVMA Guidelinesfor the Euthanasiaof Animals
    https://www.avma.org/KB/Policies/Doc...euthanasia.pdf

Page 76 - 78
    S7.3 Captive Amphibians and Reptiles....................76
    S7.3.1 Anatomy and Physiology.........................76
    S7.3.2 Restraint..................................................76
    S7.3.3 Verification of Death................................76
    S7.3.4 Acceptable Methods................................76
    S7.3.5 Acceptable With Conditions Methods.....77
    S7.3.6 Adjunctive Methods................................78
    S7.3.7 Unacceptable Methods............................78
    S7.3.8 Special Cases and Exceptions..................78
    S7.3.9 Destruction of Viable Eggs.......................78