Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,865

0 members and 2,865 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Question A New Phase? Please help...

We've had our Ball Python (Alli) for about 5 months. She's been really good and an awesome pet so far. She generally stays in her hide which is directly above the heating pad, nice and cozy. We try and get her out once a week, at least, sometimes more.

She's shed 3 different times, we feed her one a week, live mice, small white variety. She's grown in size quite a bit.

About a month ago, I noticed her outside of her hide. She seemed comfortable and was moving around quite a bit, searching the top of the cage for a way out, it seemed. After a couple of days of that, she returned to her hide.

Last evening was feeding time, when I went to move the hide, I sensed something was wrong. She seemed agitated and then lunged at me a couple times. Fine, she's gotten bigger and is just really hungry... I dropped the mouse in which she promptly made work of.

When I went to put the hide back in, she still had that agitated sense about her, like, don't you come near me! I added some water to her bowl, put her hide back and let her go digest.

Today, I go to check on her. Remove her hide and bam... Another lunge followed by a careful glare and following my every movement. I could tell she was going to lunge again if I put my hand back in the cage.

What's going on here? Why the change in attitude? Is she maybe just more hungry because she's gotten bigger?

Thanks for any advice!
    Last edited by baazi1; 04-29-2016 at 05:35 PM.

Thanks
    You should be feeding prey as big a round as the widest part of your snake every 5-7 day. You may also want to check for burns or mites or anything that could be possibly putting your snake in pain. Try gently touching the top of the head with something if keeps striking, sometimes this will make the retreat into a ball.
    Last edited by chrid16371; 04-29-2016 at 06:32 PM.

Thanks

Re: A New Phase? Please help...

Quote Originally Posted by chrid16371 View Post
    You should be feeding prey as big a round as the widest part of your snake every 5-7 day. You may also want to check for burns or mites or anything that could be possibly putting your snake in pain. Try gently touching the top of the head with something if keeps striking, sometimes this will make the retreat into a ball.
    She is fed every 7 days, Thursday night. The mice are small, but there isn't really an option at the particular pet store we go to to get the mice. It's either small white mice or gigantic rats looking things. It was suggested I feed her 2 of the white mice at a time. Should that be done back to back or a day apart?

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Back to back and you should try to find a source for rats. Mice will become expensive quick.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    Back to back and you should try to find a source for rats. Mice will become expensive quick.
    By back to back... I mean, give her one, let her eat and then immediately give her another. Is that what you mean?

I'll find a rat source

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by baazi1 View Post
    By back to back... I mean, give her one, let her eat and then immediately give her another. Is that what you mean?

I'll find a rat source
    Yes, once the first one is all the way down offer the next as soon as she is ready.

Thanks
    Yep, she's hungry. If you can't find any smallish rats, feeding 2-3 mice is OK too. . .but gets expensive.

Thanks
    Aggressive BPs are the best imo especially in females. They're usually great feeders and breeders

Thanks
    Have you considered trying to feed frozen? If you can get her to eat frozen/thawed you can order online and save some money. Be worth the try and much safer then live.
    Last edited by chrid16371; 04-30-2016 at 12:17 AM.