Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,596

3 members and 1,593 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Pac Man frog owners.. please help.

I am planning on purchasing one of these guys later this month at the Ohio Reptile Show since I am going there to pick up more beardies. I have a 10 gallon tank, and am prepared to house him/her in a bigger home of neccessary, heck, I got plenty of extra housing around here already. I would like to set it up in a terrarium type set up, live plants, etc. What plants are safe to use?
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

Re: Pac Man frog owners.. please help.

you can really use anything that is non toxic, the only problem I ran into with live plants was that my PacMan likes to dig alot so he tore the place up often.
    A 10gal will hold him for a good long while possilbe his entire life. I keep my in sterlite containers since that keeps humidity lvls higher.
    -Sean
    Mazdaspeed 3, yeah its silly fast!

Thanks

I just have my horned frog in a tank with no frills. He buries himself all of the time, and extra decorations would just be a pain to clean. Granted, his tank is ugly to look at, but he is not really a display item.
    If I could start over, I would probably just keep him in a shallow rubebrmaid container. They really do not climb or hop very high, so this would be adequate. I keep him in a 10g tank now; with about 4 inches of forest bedding substrate.
    He eats mainly earthworms, but occasional small mice (not too often) are fine. He will take an occasional goldfish too. When they are young, they will eat mainly crickets.
    Here are a few pics of Benny!

EDIT: I should add; when they are young, it is very important to dust the crickets with a vitamin/calcium supplement. They can suffer irreparable bone damage and deficiencies if not. I had one years ago before knowing this, and the poor guy died young.

-Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Thanks for your replies. Guess I will have to go to home depot or lowes and see whats available plant wise.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

If you want to make a nice planted tank, it would probably make up for the fact that these frogs always bury themselves. At least the tank would look good, even if the frog were buried all the time. I would do that myself, if I had the time and $$.
    I know that pothos plants are supposed to be excellent for frog tanks. You could add a piece of that dried grapevine, that would look cool.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.