Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,867

1 members and 2,866 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

ASF problems. Eating babies etc.....

I have two 1.3 colonies of ASF's. I've just started with them. Two females in colony one were pregnant. A few days before the first female gave birth I noticed that the male was all chewed up on his back side and he was missing a large patch of fir. I separated him. The next day the first female gave birth and I came home to a cage full of chewed up babies.

This freaked me out so I took all of them out of the tub except the last pregnant female and moved them to a new bin. My thought is that with her being by herself she can give birth and not worry about the others eating the babies.

Not sure if that was the best move, but I don't know what else to do. I hate pulling half eaten corpses out of the bin.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    I always seemed to have the moms eat the first litter. I hated it. But they would usually do just fine for the next litter. But it was one of the reasons I got rid of the asf finally. For mine, it was the mom eating her OWN litter too, not another asf eating babies.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Re: ASF problems. Eating babies etc.....

Same exact thing happened to me. I was super stoked to see approximately ten baby ASF's under their Mom two days ago. I checked this morning and there were have eaten corpses strewn around the cage. WTF??? Is there anything I can do to avoid this the next go around? I was told that ASF's are the best parents and that there's no reason to separate the mother and her babies from the colony. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    Same thing happened to me. Then I removed the females to give birth in isolation and didn't have that problem again. Also tried a pair with just one male and one female, no problems so far but they do seem healthier when it's an isolated female giving birth for both the mom and babies, same with mice, I think the males are rough on the females when they are together long term. I've never seen them fight but my ASF males would beat each other up, better to keep one male per cage and separate the females to raise their young, then put them back in the colony when the young are weaned. Right now I don't have enough cages so I'm trying a few babies in the colony again, we will see...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

BornToHerp (06-23-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    Same thing happened to me. Then I removed the females to give birth in isolation and didn't have that problem again. Also tried a pair with just one male and one female, no problems so far but they do seem healthier when it's an isolated female giving birth for both the mom and babies, same with mice, I think the males are rough on the females when they are together long term. I've never seen them fight but my ASF males would beat each other up, better to keep one male per cage and separate the females to raise their young, then put them back in the colony when the young are weaned. Right now I don't have enough cages so I'm trying a few babies in the colony again, we will see...
    So far so good. Another female was about to pop. I isolated her, she gave birth, and for the past week has been a great mother.

Thanks

So right now, im breeding rats, mice an asfs an i bought 2 females an 1 male from someone an kept them that way since, an its been about 3 maybe 4 months so anyways, one mom had her baby about two weeks ago an then the second mom had her baby the next day, an i see them both feeding the bunch, ive counted 25 but not 100%... An this is their first litter because they were just young when we bought them, an i havent had annny problems yet with aggression.... An my husband was working in the breeding shed, an iv been able to pet the moms back whaile she was feeding... An we also picked up some babies...... Am i just extremely lucky? If something bad was gonna happen, would it have happend by now? Iv read into breedin asfs but not much, an readin these comments scared me lol

Sent from my D2004 using Tapatalk
    MeganMarkita&SamuelAdrien
    0.1 Beautiful Pastel ~ Elsa
    1.0 Awesome Queen Bee ~ Paulo
    0.1 Blue Nose Pitbull ~ Zoey
    1.1 Beautifully Awesome Children ~ 💕Lexi&Atoen 💕

Thanks

This was the first moms babies an then the second mom had hers the nxt day, now theyre crawling around an have long fuzzy hairs

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Usually in my experience, if a ASF was going to eat the litter, they would eat it within a few days of giving birth. Often within 24 hours.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

meganmarkita15 (09-16-2016)

Thanks

Okay, thanks. Thats mostly what ive been reading, but then i did read one isolated incident on this thread i think, where the mother ate them at weaned age :-o :-/.. My babies are all running around now n look healthy, so im just gonna keep an eye open for anything different in behavior. Also, has anyone had any problems handling the babies? At what age would they start to bite an jump out of your hands an what not?