Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,043

3 members and 3,040 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NYC Rabbits

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Plus coyotes, raccoons, dogs, and the homeless would probably thrive on misplaced domestic rabbits.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Re: NYC Rabbits

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    Why would they ban rabbits? I can't seriously imagine the thought process. "Rabbits are terrifying dangers to the children!!"

Were they all Monty Python fans to the extent that they believe the killer rabbit is real?

Rabbits will take over the United States!!!
    Apprarently around easter time a lot of parents get them for their children as pets. After a few months the kids lose interest and the parents decide to just let them go. I didn't quote it here but someone mentioned its common sense. I definitely agree but seeing as there are some people who do not register for this site and use it to look up info (originally like myself) they may not be as educated or quite frankly smart as other animal owners. I felt the need to post it because I have never seen a rabbit strolling through Brooklyn before and while they are beautiful animals, I'd rather not see rabbit road kill starting to pop up all over the place. As far as shelters go, they're actually flooded with rabbits and helped push the ban.

Thanks
    New York has banned just about every animal other than dogs, cats, and chickens, haven't they? I understand the issues in a city that densely populated but I'm not sure that's the way to fix it. I am surprised they banned rabbits, as some people raise them for meat, and I always thought they were supportive of that, in deference to the immigrant neighborhoods.

But it's true that a lot of dopes buy bunnies and them dump them when they're not cute anymore :/. I just don't think a ban is going to fix that.

Thanks
    As far as i know rabbits use to be very numerous in the NYE area, Coney Island is loosely translated to rabbit island. So it wouldn't be a far stretch for their populations to explode in the city.

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    What they have too much of in NYC is people. I have to go there occasionally for business. It is like an alien world to me. Ban, this, ban that, regulate this, regulate that..... I could not live that way. To each his own I guess as long as they keep their ideas and laws out of my neck of the woods.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    What they have too much of in NYC is people. I have to go there occasionally for business. It is like an alien world to me. Ban, this, ban that, regulate this, regulate that..... I could not live that way. To each his own I guess as long as they keep their ideas and laws out of my neck of the woods.
    I completely agree and I live here lol Hoping to move within the next few years. It's like a totally different world here

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Willowy View Post
    But it's true that a lot of dopes buy bunnies and them dump them when they're not cute anymore :/. I just don't think a ban is going to fix that.
    What's interesting is that one of my rabbit suppliers breeds them for competitions and to sell to other breeders, but she won't sell her surplus as pets for precisely this reason. Instead she culls them and sells them as feeders.

Thanks
    I've heard that a lot of competition rabbit breeders won't sell to a pet home. They feel like pet rabbits are too often neglected and/or dumped. And they're probably right :/.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12