Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,619

3 members and 1,616 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Talking Question about STPs

Hey all!

Just wanted to ask any experienced short-tail python (more specifically, blood python) keepers a question regarding a STP's ability to tolerate husbandry errors. Before getting my first blood, I read countless care sheets on the internet for these animals and they all said the same thing: they can't tolerate husbandry errors.

What does this mean?? Does it mean that they become more defensive/dodgy? Or, rather, do they develop sickness such as respiratory illness, etc.? If husbandry is not met, how quick can these sicknesses take over these animals?? A lot of questions but I wanted to bring this up so I could have a better understanding of my animal in case some part of my husbandry was not met.

Thanks guys

Reese - Normal BCI

Luna - Hypo Boa (BCI)
    Snape - Normal BP
    Roxy - Normal BD
    Cosmo - Red Leatherback BD
    Dax - Normal Crested Gecko
    Fez - Gargoyle Gecko

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I really find them no harder than a BP. Maybe even easier. They require a good temp and humidity level like all snakes but other than that they don't seem to need anything special.

For one they are pet rocks, even more than a BP. My Bloods seem to never move and I mean never. They are just fine laying around fat and happy until I bring them their next meal.

Mine don't seem to really care about their heat source and having the room bounce from 77 to 85 is good with them.

I have not noticed their attitude change because of their husbandry. During shed, YES! Leave them alone during that time.

The only way that I believe they need to be considered as a moderate level snake is because of the size and strength that they get as an adult. My big girl is around 6ft and 30lbs. When she wants things her way she can let it be known and can be a handful for me and Im a big strong guy. Other than making sure you are able to control an adult by yourself or make sure to have a friend with you they are fairly simple snakes to own, IMHO.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

RoyalBlood20 (04-22-2016)

Thanks

Re: Question about STPs

KMG, thank you for the reply. I see you a lot on forums and you seem to know your stuff. Do you use a heat pad? Currently I'm just using a heater on a thermostat that gives me consistent temps. I have a farm-raised blood who is having a hard time adjusting to captivity. He already has had two RIs and is currently healing. Other than those issues he eats fine, hes definitely cage aggressive until hes in my hands and instantly becomes a puppy dog. Love this guy, but I definitely think the respiratory infections are stress-related.

Reese - Normal BCI

Luna - Hypo Boa (BCI)
    Snape - Normal BP
    Roxy - Normal BD
    Fez - Gargoyle Gecko

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Thanks

My snake room has a oil filled heater for the main ambient temps.

My Bloods then each have a UTH provided to them. They rarely use them though.

Stress can certainly create issues.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Lady mkrj58 (04-23-2016)

Thanks
    Too much humidity will give them RI's really fast! They do not need much humidity it's a myth a big dog bowl full of fresh clean water is more then enough to bring it up. Make sure you have good air flow do not cover vents to bring up humidity that's bad! Keep the hotspot 82-85 a hide in the warm and cool area that's all you need. I'm from Fairfax you have the best reptile vet here in NOVA Dr. Stalh is the man!

Good luck!

There are more then enough breeders out there to buy from then to deal with captive hatched or wild caught I would never recommend them. Did that along time ago vet bills always trippled the savings.

Tim Rash

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nocturnalcreations For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (04-25-2016)

Thanks

Re: Question about STPs

Tim,

I am from the Manassas/Woodbridge area! I have an appointment at SEAVS on Thursday it seems as if he isnt responding to the initial f10 treatment and bumped up temps/humidity, so I will be resorting to a vet. Just recently fixed the ventilation issue. I keep the blood in my bedroom and it has been super stuffy and the enclosure has been in the 80-85 range...though he recently shed, so raised humidity is key in facilitating that....weird situation, but I am inclined to the think that that was the issue (stagnant air/high humidity=Bacteria)

My blood was purchased at a show and was advertised as farm-raised. Various care sheets hinted that they might not be best suited as pets, but that most do well in captivity so I went for it. Could this be due to the recent ailment? Maybe, I dont know. Hopefully SEAVS will help me through this..

Thanks for the advice Tim, a lot of people reccommend him so I will keep my fingers crossed in his recovery.

Reese - Normal BCI

Luna - Hypo Boa (BCI)
    Snape - Normal BP
    Roxy - Normal BD
    Fez - Gargoyle Gecko