Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,808

0 members and 2,808 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Lizards and their requirements

I'd always heard that lizards are far harder to keep than snakes due to more stringent needs. Is this true or just a nasty rumour?
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Re: Lizards and their requirements

It can be true or false.. like snakes, lizards have vastly different needs depending on species.

The needs of a ball python, reticulated python, and tree python are all very, very different. Most people can not care for a retic.. at least without a lot of experience and dedication.

As for lizards.. the needs of a leopard or crested gecko are totally different from the needs of a water monitor or iguana.

What lizards interest you?

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Uh Oh... The amazingly adorable pictures of the baby crested geckos got to her. Where are the men in the white van with the straight jackets? Ya'll are getting us addicted, you evil cute-adorable-eyeball-licking-cutsiewootsiepootsie(as you put it) CRESTED GECKO OWNERS! darn you... They are cute though, I admit that. *whispers* i've seen them in person and they are even cuter... Gah...

Unless she isn't addicted yet, and just had a question. Just as Shelby said, it just depends on the species. Corn snake care is much different from Green Tree Python care. Just as crested gecko care is much different than an iguana's or monitor's care.

Leopard Geckos are extremely easy to care for, as are Cresteds (from what I hear). Others such as Water Dragons require a little more care. It's really only as difficult as the person caring for the animal makes it. Elaborate(natural) enclosures require alot more care such as cleaning. Whereas simple enclosures make it easier for the animal to find food and are easier to keep clean(especially when taking care of babies).

Hope that helped a bit.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Thanks for that info. Actually right now lizards are out of the question (even if evil Marla shows me every cute new hatchling in creation LOL). I just had always heard lizards in general were difficult to keep properly but seems a lot here manage quite nicely with a variety of them. First we'll get the new ball pythons settled in and maybe down the road we'll look at a lizard.

What would you suggest as a good "first" lizard. I'd probably want something that wouldn't get huge but would be sturdy enough that my children could handle it, with supervision of course. Are certain types of lizards better tempered than others or is it more an individual animal thing?

They can lick their eyeballs?????? Oh how cute is that.....(hmmm thoughts of how I'm sure one of the kids would like a lizard for Christmas later this year *evil evil people on this forum!*

(mutters to herself...I will NOT open yet another folder in my favorites list and name it LIZARDS...I won't...maybe........)
    Last edited by frankykeno; 04-30-2005 at 12:29 AM.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

I wanna crestie.. I can't resist any longer.

I swear, this forum has an aura.. you can't help but want the buggers. I remember when I first came, and I saw everyone showing off their cresties, I thought 'what's the deal with those boring things..?' Obviously something changed.. not quite sure what though. lol

April

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    They can lick their eyeballs?????? Oh how cute is that.....(hmmm thoughts of how I'm sure one of the kids would like a lizard for Christmas later this year *evil evil people on this forum
    For Those Who Fought For It,
    Freedom Has A Flavor The Protected Will Never Know

Thanks

Cresties and leopard geckos are very good starter lizards. They're quite entertaining as well. Bearded dragons are also very popular, but their care is a bit more involved since they're omnivores and grow a bit larger.

April

Thanks

I had a beardie for awhile, and I found him to be much, much more demanding than my snakes. If you are a person who has a lot of spare time, it would not be too much of an issue, but I found I could not really provide him with enough attention so I sold him to my BF's cousin who already had some and wants to breed.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

To generalize a bit, lizards need to be fed more often. Also, when/if you feed insects, they need to be dusted with the appropriate supplements.

Btw, crested geckos lick their eyes to keep them moist.
    My crested geckos are so much more work than my snakes and T's. I'm tempted to sell off most of them (it does not help that ball pythons trying to steal me back). I think once I can get them into consolidated caging and some bioactive setups it'll be a bit easier...hard to say.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

Thanks

I have a ball python ( 1 year old) and a Eastern Collared Lizzard ( 2 months old ) and the Lizard is more work with daily feeding of crickets and worms. I think the snake is a better pet for handling and maintanance ( tank temps & humidity) but the lizard is more entertaining. Our Lizard is a daily eating machine and it is fun to warth it chase crickets around as it is active during the day. Our Ball is more active at night.

Hope this helps.
    0.1 BP Reba
    1.0 Albino Corn Snake Rusty
    1.0.0 Rescued Garter Shane (released 4/7/05)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast