Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 510

1 members and 509 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Question Thinking of getting an Amazon tree boa

Hey guys I'm new to the site but thought I would post something. I think I'm going to end up getting an Amazon tree boa I have an empty 18x18x24 Exo terra with everything inside including a perch that has 3 sticks in a criss cross, water bowl, fake plants, ceramic heat emitter, etc I have read that they make good first Aborial snakes and that's what I want to get into I have 2 Colombian boas that are 4 foot long and one is quite nippy so I'm not worried about getting bitten I have had a ball python, a Central American boa and 2 Mali uromastyx and Amazons just amaze me can I have some help on how to get the temps just right I will be using a 100 watt ceramic heat emitter and how do I get the humidity just right I am being offered 1 male garden phase captive bred baby for $125 Canadian cause I'm in Canada any advice from ATB keepers will be well apricated thanks aiden

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Personally I wouldn't use a CHE with an ATB, too hot and too dry. If you want to go with heat from the top, go with a bulb instead. Ideally, bottom heat should be enough. I keep my ATBs in a snake room and use oil filled radiator to keep stable ambient temps in the room, temps average 80-85 during the day and 75-80 at night. I do not use any supplemental heat with the amazons, they do good in the lower temps, they don't need 85-89 like boas and BPs.
    Last edited by AbsoluteApril; 04-17-2016 at 11:00 PM.
    For the Horde!

Thanks
    Is there any way to use a Che because I already have one that is slightly used also do you think I am experienced enough?

Thanks
    oops I realize my temps listed above are not quite right, night drops to 70-75.

If you must use a CHE make sure you have a really good thermostat (well, should have one no matter what heat element you use) and really watch the humidity, you'll probably need to mist at least once a day. I keep one ATB in an exo-terra (glass with screen top) and that is the only one I have humidity issues with, I keep all the others in enclosed plastic caging.

As far as experience, you don't mention how long you've been keeping but looks like you have some good varied experience. I got my first ATB after 3 years of keeping a variety (corn, ball, boa and iguana). I view my ATBs as display snakes, I only really interact with them for cleaning, feeding and photo taking. They can and will most likely bite, not all of them are like that but even the ones I don't use a hook for will eventually want to be left alone after about 10-20 min. They also will musk and pee in order to be left alone. I do think they are very beautiful and interesting snakes, keep you on your toes and a good choice for a first aboreal.

I have an old video here with one of mine, you can see how he flails when I wake him up, a lot of them will do that then they anchor on and go into S strike position. With bigger ones I just use a hook to avoid the bites as their teeth do hurt a bit (imo)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEnghj18-X0
    For the Horde!

Thanks
    Personally, I have kept an bred Amazons through 3 generations (about 20 litters in total), over 10 years when I lived back in Northern Ireland. My caging was simple. I have glass cages built by a friend. Each measured 18" wide, 24" high, 24" deep. Front sliding doors mounted on a 3" lip. There was an 8* hole cut in the top that i covered with fin mesh. Above that, I used ceramic heaters controlled by pulse proportional stats, and also I had an ultrasonic misting system venting into the cage. That system came on twice a day - morning and evening for 10 minutes each time. The cage floor had paper towels and in each cage I had several pothos plants. These worked incredibly well. My amazons as adult ranged in size from 4ft to 6ft, eating small to large rats. Litters ranged from 14 to 25. I never had an issue with them drying out due to the ceramic heaters.

Here in my lab in Tulsa, I have a pair of Corallus ruschenbergerii. These are in zoomed cages (24 x 18 x 18), and each has a ceramic heater controlled by a pulse proportional stat and an ultrasonic huimidifier venting into them. I have a low wattage, non-heat emitting light for show.

As such, I would argue that Ceramic heaters are not the way to go. They have worked exceptionally well for me over the years.

Warren

Thanks
    Goes to show - different things work for different people.
    For the Horde!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Warren_Booth (04-18-2016)

Thanks

Re: Thinking of getting an Amazon tree boa

Quote Originally Posted by Warren_Booth View Post

As such, I would argue that Ceramic heaters are not the way to go. They have worked exceptionally well for me over the years.

Warren
    Just clarifying this - I think ceramic heaters are an excellent option to take, based on personal experience. I can see that my sentence above could be taken to mean different things.

Warren

Thanks
    Ok thanks for all the input what kind of live plants could I put in there what are the best options and does any one know where to get amazons in Canada

Thanks

Re: Thinking of getting an Amazon tree boa

Ok thanks for all the input does anyone know where I can get amazons in ontario