Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,270

1 members and 3,269 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Check My Math? (6qt rack cuts)

We're planning to build our first melamine rack for use with 6qt tubs and thought we'd post here so some of you more experienced DIY keepers could check over our figures. There may be something we've overlooked and would appreciate any thoughts on better ways to construct the rack or correction if the math is wrong, etc.

So far, we're planning the rack for 6qt tubs, in a 4x4 configuration.

Tub measurements -

13 1/2 (L) x 7 3/4 (W) x 4 3/4 (H)

To allow for 'wiggle room', I've adjusted the measurements to -

14 (L) x 8 1/2 (W) x 5 (H)

The melamine available is 3/4 (0.75) in thick.

Math!

Shelf/Top - (4 shelves + 1 top = 5 pieces) (14 x 34)
    Depth: 14 = 14
    Width: 8.5 x 4 = 34

Sides - (L + R = 2) (14 x 26)
    Depth: 14 = 14
    Height: (5 + 0.75 [Shelf Thickness]) x 4 (Shelves) + 0.75 (Top Thickness) = 23.75 + 2.25 (More wiggle room) = 26

Back - (1) (26 x 36)
    Height: 26 = 26
    Width: 34 + (0.75 [Side Thickness] x 2 [Sides]) = 35.5 (Round to 36, trim to size.)

Plan

At the moment, our plan is to have the top piece fit flush with the back and sides on the inside like a shelf. The back piece will have the extra length to cover the width of the sides instead of being on the 'inside' of the sides. I've added a little extra to the length, width and height of the tubs to allow for 'wiggle room', keeping them from being packed in like sardines and allowing for heat tape space. Of course, when building the shelves will be much more fitted to the tubs' height, but I would rather measure slightly larger and adjust down than not have enough. Excess height will just be used to 'lift' the rack from sitting directly on the floor. As this is meant for 6qt tubs, we're planning on using 3 inch tape for belly heat.

Cuts

Yeah, I haven't had to figure out cuts since Wood Shop, and that was...longer ago than I'm willing to admit to. Plus, some of us just aren't that handy. The following diagram is not to scale...at all. The math should be correct, though. If someone more experienced sees an easier way to make the cuts work, let me know. The melamine sheet we're looking at is the standard 8 ft x 4 ft. With the current cut configuration, there are 2 'waste' pieces - a 26 x 12 and a 18 x 14. Both are marked by cross hashes. I'm sure I'll figure out something to do with them, I'm just not sure what right now, and would like as little actual waste as possible.

Advice, direction, and corrections are appreciated!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Check My Math? (6qt rack cuts)

I'm measuring my 6/qt rack i built last fall and out of one sheet(I'm almost positive I didn't use scrap from a second sheet) I was able to make a rack holding 3 tubs per shelf and 7 shelves for a total of 21 tubs.
    Each shelf is 24 x 13 1/4 and sides are 39 x 13 1/4.
    I recomend you use a thin piece of cardboard for a spacer between each tub and shelf to allow for easy sliding, premark everything and predrill before assembling. If you want the top to be flush with the sides, add an extra 1.5" to the length. The size I mentioned uses sterilite brand tubs and has about 1/4" wiggle room side to side for tubs. It does however only give you about 3/4" raise off the ground. I chose to add Castor's to the bottom so it was easier to move for cleaning behind and under. I put a 1/2" piece of MDF for the rear of the rack with beat tape hooked directly to the back. This helps trap heat and even with only using 3" heat tape per verticle colum, the temps were perfect in a room with a low ambiant temperature. Hope this helps.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to chilliscale For This Useful Post:

SmoothScales (04-14-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I would personally go with a cheaper material than melamine for the rear. I have even used shower surround (like 12$ 4 x 8 sheet) with excelent results

Thanks

Did you measure the tubs yourself with the lids off? Makes a big difference. Are you using the lids? Are you using the next shelf up as the lid? If so, 1/4 might be too big of a gap IMO.

Dave
    1.0 Banana Siagi (Butters) - 1.0 GHI Chocolate Het Ghost York - 1.0 Mystic Potion Sarge - 1.0 Pied ​Maine - 1.0 Normal Tucker - 1.0 Huffman ​Lopez
    1.0 Black Pastel Mojave Yellow Belly Church - 1.0 VPI Axanthic Spider Ozpin- Butter Hypo ​Jaune

0.1 Super Black Pastel Texas - 0.1 Humble Bee CT - 0.1 Pied Carolina - 0.1 Killer Bee Sheila - 0.1 Black Pastel Ghost Pinstripe Coco - 0.1 Pastel Yang - 0.1 Spider Nora - 0.2 Lesser Huffman Pyrrha/FILSS
    0.1 Pastel Yellow Belly Sally - 0.1 Pastel Orange Ghost Kaikaina - 0.1 VPI Axanthic Cinder - 0.1 Banana Cinnamon Kimball - 0.1 Shatter Spider​ Octavia - 0.1 The Red Gene Lemons

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

He did mention adjusting so the tubs fit snug. I find the thickness of a thin piece of cardboard being perfect

7. The Following User Says Thank You to chilliscale For This Useful Post:

SmoothScales (04-14-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AKA Dave View Post
    Did you measure the tubs yourself with the lids off? Makes a big difference. Are you using the lids? Are you using the next shelf up as the lid? If so, 1/4 might be too big of a gap IMO.

Dave
    Yes I did measure the tubs being used with lids off, as they are going to be shelved without lids. Once the sides and top are assembled, we were going to use the tubs themselves and a spacer to mark where the next shelf would go.

Thanks for the cardboard idea, chilli. It sounds perfect!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SmoothScales; 04-14-2016 at 12:51 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Best of luck. Just make sure if you have kids they don't use your hatchling rack as a ladder during the off season and break all your shelves.....

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chilliscale For This Useful Post:

SmoothScales (04-14-2016),spikell75 (04-14-2016)