Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,134

0 members and 3,134 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: How are they different from BPs?

Quote Originally Posted by Willowy View Post
    Weren't all 3 short-tailed pythons considered the same species at first? Are the Sumatrans really that different? I don't like their dark coloring but if they have different morphs I'd be willing. I don't like carpet pythons though---too skinny . The only other snake I really want is a boa; I love red-tails, but they get too big for me so preferably I'd want a locality like Pearl Island or Hogg Island. I need a snake who can live in a T-8 or similarly-sized enclosure.

I already have 2 BPs and don't want more than 4 snakes total. . .so I have to be choosy!
    I'm not very experienced with bloods but from what I've seen they can be a handful and they aren't forgiving if you make any mistakes. Maybe you should get a smaller sized boa species. Maybe look into blood boas, leopard boas or dumerils boas, though they can get kinda big. I'd almost recommend something like a rainbow boa but they aren't as heavy bodied and their care is a little more advanced.
    Last edited by kxr; 04-12-2016 at 09:21 PM.

Thanks

Weren't all 3 short-tailed pythons considered the same species at first? Are the Sumatrans really that different? I don't like their dark coloring but if they have different morphs I'd be willing.
    yes, they were. there's a reason they got reclassified, they're not the same. Sumatrans will not grow to the size of the other two. They are considerably more relaxed in my experience. the only sumatran morph is caramel albino.

I don't like carpet pythons though---too skinny
    to each their own, I consider morelia to be the greatest of all snakes!

The only other snake I really want is a boa; I love red-tails, but they get too big for me so preferably I'd want a locality like Pearl Island or Hogg Island. I need a snake who can live in a T-8 or similarly-sized enclosure
    you might want to consider a male BCI since bigger is better (but not too big). I think that would be a better choice than blood/borneo.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DennisM For This Useful Post:

Megg (04-12-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
    yes, they were. there's a reason they got reclassified, they're not the same. Sumatrans will not grow to the size of the other two. They are considerably more relaxed in my experience. the only sumatran morph is caramel albino.

to each their own, I consider morelia to be the greatest of all snakes!

you might want to consider a male BCI since bigger is better (but not too big). I think that would be a better choice than blood/borneo.
    I do agree with the male BCI. I wanted a Boa, but not one quite as large as a Colombian yet. I ended up choosing a Nicaraguan and he's quite a handful. They stay small but from my experience have huge attitudes (I assume they're more nervous due to their small size).

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    I didn't have much snake experience when I got short tails, I'd had my ball pythons several years, added a hognose, then a SSTP (then a blood, then two borneos lol). The sumatran is the calmest of my short tails but I don't think you would have to start with one of those, you just need to be honest with yourself if you can handle a snappy baby, realizing they grow fast and be willing to work with it while young and small so you are comfortable handling. My female borneo is a dream, once you make clear you aren't food, but the male is a jumpy stressed out spazz, my blood is touchy in the cage but better once he's out.

There are chrome head or orange head sstp that do not get as dark and show more pattern, if you do decide on a sstp but don't want an all black snake. I am limited on space for snakes also so fairly picky on what I add too, I made a leap into short tails and another leap into boas with a 5.5' BC, sounds like we have similar taste! Not much chance to see or experience variety up here so just did my research like you are.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Kroberts10 (05-13-2016),Lady mkrj58 (04-15-2016)

Thanks
    Ha, yep, must have similar tastes---I love hognoses, too, but am a bit scared off by their apparent eating issues. Except for hoggies (such cute faces!), I like snakes with distinct heads and a fair amount of thickness. And, yeah, not much variety to see in The Great White North, so I have to take the internet's word for it .

I'm not even sure if there will be bloods/BSTP at the expo (in Council Bluffs/Omaha). The vendor list did have bloods on it but last year it was mostly BPs, Bearded Dragons, and Leopard geckos :/. Or maybe all the rarer critters were gone because I got there late. This year I'll be there first thing in the morning! Then I'll see what kind of variety they really have.

Thanks

My Blood is from Cold Blooded earth (Nick) you can't go wrong his Lines are really nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A
    Lady Mkrj58

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    I didn't have much snake experience when I got short tails, I'd had my ball pythons several years, added a hognose, then a SSTP (then a blood, then two borneos lol).
    several years isn't the same as one year

... you just need to be honest with yourself if you can handle a snappy baby, realizing they grow fast and be willing to work with it while young and small so you are comfortable handling.
    yes, honest with yourself. but the question isn't "can you deal with a snappy baby?" the question is "can you deal with, and are you prepared to properly care for a 30 lb snake?"

...so just did my research like you are.
    and that's the way to go! I like posts like this a lot better than I like the endless "I got this snake x months ago and have no clue" posts
    Last edited by DennisM; 04-14-2016 at 11:13 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DennisM For This Useful Post:

Lady mkrj58 (04-15-2016)

Thanks

I Love my Blood and Borneo I Love my Balls and I Love my Boas, I like how you have approached This, If your heart is set On A Short Tail then do it you have thought this thru , My First Borneo took me by surprise with his power even with me waiting a year after I wanted one nothing like hands on experience lol . I have built a good relationship with my Borneo Short Tail and My Blood I respect what they are a powerful Snake that mostly Sits around . Of my two the Borneo Sarge is the most aggressive , My Blood maxwell is really a kind awesome kicked back kinda guy.. I also have Boas but they could not fill the gap of what I love about Bloods and short tails , I hope I'm making sense here lol. My Golden Rule for my self is Get education on the Animal and I think your on the right track.. And Hands on education will come , My Baby Borneo and I grew and learned togather..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A
    Lady Mkrj58

Registered User Paragonimus westerma's Avatar
    Thanks
    If I can add my two cents;

Sumatran Short Tails seem like they're generally a bit easier to get along with than bloods and borneos. They *seem* like they'd be a really good stepping stone to larger constrictors.

I was in an even worse position before getting a short tail. My only snake experience before my SSTP were rubber boas and one baby sand boa. The shorty was really rough to work with for the first couple of months, but now, however, the SSTP is very pleasant and has given me enough confidence to get an argentine boa.

I'd definitely say that the short-tails are better entry-level "bigger snakes" than the big boas, even if they aren't necessarily better behaved. that's just my limited experience though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12