Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,848

1 members and 2,847 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Moving snakes cross-country

Alright, so, my family and I are moving to Alaska and we're driving up from Florida, and so we're having to go through Canada.
    I'm having a hard time finding information online about the safest way to move snakes and what papers I may need when we go through Canada, and likewise with re-entry into the US.
    It's a 3 - 4 day drive, and I'd rather not have them shipped. Though, I'm not with USARK anyways, so I really can't even if I wanted to.
    So I'm hoping someone on this forum can provide the information I need.
    I still have a good amount of time to prepare, as we're not moving until next year, but I refuse to leave my snakes behind and I want to make sure they make it to our new home safely and legally.
    Links and advice are greatly appreciated<3

--Death is the Road to Awe--
    ♥♥♥

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: Moving snakes cross-country

Quote Originally Posted by necrotic.vvolf View Post
    Alright, so, my family and I are moving to Alaska and we're driving up from Florida, and so we're having to go through Canada.
    I'm having a hard time finding information online about the safest way to move snakes and what papers I may need when we go through Canada, and likewise with re-entry into the US.
    It's a 3 - 4 day drive, and I'd rather not have them shipped. Though, I'm not with USARK anyways, so I really can't even if I wanted to.
    So I'm hoping someone on this forum can provide the information I need.
    I still have a good amount of time to prepare, as we're not moving until next year, but I refuse to leave my snakes behind and I want to make sure they make it to our new home safely and legally.
    Links and advice are greatly appreciated<3

What snakes are you taking incidentally ??

Thanks

I have two snakes, I have a pinstripe ball python, and a hog island boa.
    ♥♥♥

Thanks

Though, I'm not with USARK anyways, so I really can't even if I wanted to.
    I think you mean you're not FedEx certified to ship reptiles... USARK is a lobbying group and has nothing to do with shipping (unless I've missed something?). Becoming FedEx certified through ShipYourReptiles.com is pretty simple, and two snakes will be pretty cheap to ship. You don't even technically need to be certified, but it makes the process much easier and cheaper too.
    ----------------------------------------
    Anyway, I found this comment from someone planning to drive snakes across the Canadian border:

"To do everything legal you'll need the following;

US Import/Export Permit
    US Exemption to Designated Port Permit

Once that is in place you can setup your US Fish & Wildlife inspection at the border. You'll need to book this 72 hours in advance and have all proper paperwork in order. Mainly your 3-177 properly filled out and a receipt listing the common and latin names, quantities of animals as well as $$ amounts.

Once your US Fish & Wildlife inspection is complete you can head off to Canada Customs, declare your animals and pay your tax."

I think your first step is to contact US Fish and Wildlife and ask them for specific instructions for driving through Canada to Alaska. Since the origin and destination for your snakes are both US soil, BUT you're going through Canada, US Fish and Wildlife will be able to tell you exactly what permits you will need, and they can help you contact the corresponding Canadian agency if necessary.

If the permits and legal process is a little overwhelming, it might ultimately be worth it just to get FedEx certified and ship directly to Alaska, you won't need any permits to do that.

----------------------------
    If you choose to drive with them and figure out the legal aspects, just put them in secure reptile bags and place those bags in ventilated but insulated boxes. In each box, use a (semi-insulated) reptile heat pack to keep the box warm. If you switch out a new heat pack every 24-36 hours they should be fine. Some of the packs are supposed to last 40-70 hours, but you'll want to check them periodically to make sure.
    Last edited by Family Jewels; 04-10-2016 at 12:14 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Family Jewels For This Useful Post:

se7en (04-10-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

I have two snakes, I have a pinstripe ball python, and a hog island boa.
    Have them shipped to you once you get up there. USARK membership is not needed, these aren't on the ban list.

Otherwise I think you need to do the export/import paperwork to get them into Canada and back into the US, which is expensive.

Thanks

I wasn't too sure on the specifics of USARK, sorry, haha. But thank you so much! You've definitely provided the information I needed.
    But how safe is it to ship snakes? My biggest worry is what if they get lost or dropped or something. I'm afraid of something terrible happening.
    Also! Would I basically have to "pack" them up the same if I ship them as I would to drive up with them?
    ♥♥♥

Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 711 Posts
    that's one hell of a drive

good luck

Thanks
    Um...

How will shipping work here? The snakes will get there way before the op will? Florida to Alaska is not an overnight trip... Am I missing something here?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kokorobosoi View Post
    Um...

How will shipping work here? The snakes will get there way before the op will? Florida to Alaska is not an overnight trip... Am I missing something here?
    If you had some relatives in Florida that would be willing you could have them send the snakes a few days later so that the snake's arrival is at the same time as the family's arrival.
    Last edited by piedpipper; 04-10-2016 at 07:47 PM.
    1.2 Het Pieds
    1.0 Enchi Spinner
    0.1 Lesser
    0.1 Cinnabee
    1.0 Pewter
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    0.0.1 Jungle Carpet Python
    1.1 Dominican Red Mountain Boas

Thanks

Shipping your animals is going to be much safer and simpler than transporting them by car for that whole time.

If you can provide a friend in Florida with the packaging and animals in advance, head out on your trip, then have them ship them to you for arrival once you are there, that would seem to be the best choice.

Alaska is a bit different than the continental US though. Only a few cities are available to receive Overnight service, others are 2 days or longer. What city are you moving to? Run a free quote at ShipYourReptiles.com using the correct zip codes and it will tell you what the travel time and arrival time is.

Remember that the larger the box you use, the more expensive it will be to ship. We offer five different sized shipping kits for one-off shipments like this, and they contain everything you need for a single animal shipment. Depending on the size of the kit you get, there may be extra bags or deli cups as well for your second animal. Feel free to contact SYR customer service with specifics and questions, they would be happy to walk you through it- info@ShipYourReptiles.com or 303-730-2125

We just posted our new How-To shipping video as well-

Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvg1...&nohtml5=False
    Last edited by mlededee; 04-11-2016 at 05:14 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robyn@SYR For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (04-11-2016),Prognathodon (04-12-2016)