Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,034

2 members and 3,032 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

New pick ups ... pacman frogs ... looking for input from some amphib members

Hey all, I just picked up two albino pacman babies on a trade .... I've done research prior to picking them up, but now I am seeking advice from some members that have been keeping pacmans for awhile. They came with their set ups (5 gallon tanks with eco-earth substrate, half log hides, lil bit of reindeer moss) ..... I would like to switch them over to tubs because it would be a lot easier to manage the humidity. Does anyone have any input on pros vs cons of tank vs tub? I will be keeping them in my snake room which is kept between 77℉ to 83℉ ambient temperature (usually right at 80℉). Do I need to provide a warm side? If so is belly heat ok? I have read conflicting information pertaining to belly heat for pacmans.

Anyways here are some pics of the two frogs and one of the tanks (both set ups are identical) .... yes I know they are filthy, I am setting up new tubs for them as soon as I submit this post

Thanks

Re: New pick ups ... pacman frogs ... looking for input from some amphib members

I keep mine in a 15 qt tub with belly heat. I think it's okay to have belly heat as long as its only in part of the enclosure. I've also read that you need to be careful with it because they generally burrow down to cool off. I much prefer the tub + belly heat compared to the tank and lamp I had. The lamp dried his dirt out way too fast. I know Deborah also has a pacman in a tub, but I'm not sure if it's on belly or back heat. Hopefully she'll help you out!

ETA, if it stays at 80*, I don't think you'll need extra heat. I'll let someone else chime in to be sure.
    Last edited by Megg; 04-09-2016 at 01:14 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Megg For This Useful Post:

T_Sauer (04-09-2016)

Thanks

Re: New pick ups ... pacman frogs ... looking for input from some amphib members

Quote Originally Posted by Megg View Post
    I keep mine in a 15 qt tub with belly heat. I think it's okay to have belly heat as long as its only in part of the enclosure. I've also read that you need to be careful with it because they generally burrow down to cool off. I much prefer the tub + belly heat compared to the tank and lamp I had. The lamp dried his dirt out way too fast. I know Deborah also has a pacman in a tub, but I'm not sure if it's on belly or back heat. Hopefully she'll help you out!

ETA, if it stays at 80*, I don't think you'll need extra heat. I'll let someone else chime in to be sure.
    Thanks Megg, that's what I went with is 15 qt sterilites with latching lid for now, I already had two sitting around that I had not yet put any vent holes in. One of the pacs is golfball size and the other is just slightly bigger. Now I just need to play with my humidity and figure out how many soldering iron holes I need to keep humidity in the right zone. Most of the care sheets I have read gave a day and night temp range of 76 - 80 night and 80 - 86 day, however I am assuming that since to two ranges are so close, a night drop is probably not an imperative factor, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T_Sauer View Post
    Thanks Megg, that's what I went with is 15 qt sterilites with latching lid for now, I already had two sitting around that I had not yet put any vent holes in. One of the pacs is golfball size and the other is just slightly bigger. Now I just need to play with my humidity and figure out how many soldering iron holes I need to keep humidity in the right zone. Most of the care sheets I have read gave a day and night temp range of 76 - 80 night and 80 - 86 day, however I am assuming that since to two ranges are so close, a night drop is probably not an imperative factor, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong
    Hey T, I recently purchased a pacman frog for my wife from a breeder at the long island show back in March of this year. We had him in a small 1qt. tub at first bc he was a baby about the size of a silver dollar. Since then we switched him to a 10 gallon with a versa top lid and belly heat. The temps are as you say but our humidity stays mostly at 99%. I keep the herpstat set at 88f now after playing with it at different settings. Cool side stays about 78f - 81f and the warm side at 83f- 85f and he seems to be doing well. We joined the frog forum but it has been less than stellar for responses. Our pac man is known as a fourspot bc of the markings in his back. He has been eating pretty good and going back and forth between the water dish and the hide and burrowing. Right now he dug himself into the eco earth and is completely invisible.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Megg (04-10-2016),T_Sauer (04-09-2016)