Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 868

0 members and 868 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Re: Improving Public Perception of Keeping Snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Kokorobosoi View Post
    Just to steer us back to the topic... What was the thing that first got people here interested
    Not a good reflection on me but I originally got involved with snakes because my parents would not let me keep them. I had a small collection of rat snakes when I was a teenager (a long time ago). I kept them hidden for quite awhile, when my father found them I will only say it was not pretty.

I got involved with ball pythons because my daughter wanted a pet snake. I fear that I have become more addicted than her. We have a nice little collection going at this point. Because it is a father daughter thing I do end up having snakes named things like Princess and Twinkle though. LOL

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    My suggestion is, if you can...get your snakes out of the closet.

People here have mentioned keeping them in the basement or a spare bedroom, or a converted garage. How about the living room, the dining room, or the study? Have at least one in a nice set-up out in the open, and make it pretty. Even a reclusive BP can still have an attractive viv.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

gaitedappy (04-04-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post

People here have mentioned keeping them in the basement or a spare bedroom, or a converted garage. How about the living room, the dining room, or the study? Have at least one in a nice set-up out in the open, and make it pretty. Even a reclusive BP can still have an attractive viv.
    This is one of my favorite things to do, even though my snakes are in my bedroom for the time being even my moms friends ask to check them out. I take pride in my tanks, so they get posted on all my social media as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post

I very much agree. It's just that a majority of my family doesn't and they're the ones who's house I'm keeping my snakes in at the moment lol.
    I will likely convince them to keep my jungle carpet upstairs though. Everyone agrees on that one's beauty at least. I may have to cover it when my grandparents come over though or they will probably faint.

Some people are just too old to change their perspective on things at this point.
    1.2 Het Pieds
    1.0 Enchi Spinner
    0.1 Lesser
    0.1 Cinnabee
    1.0 Pewter
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    0.0.1 Jungle Carpet Python
    1.1 Dominican Red Mountain Boas

6. The Following User Says Thank You to piedpipper For This Useful Post:

Ashley96 (04-04-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kokorobosoi View Post

Google snakes in hats. People LOVE snakes in hats.
    OH MY GOSH. Snakes in hats I tell everyone to google that.

side note sorry.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Fixed.

Does your group wait to get invited to these public events or do you ask to participate when you learn of one?
    A little of both and thanks for catching my typo - I can never seem to remember the word venomous when I'm typing fast
    Last edited by Crowfingers; 04-04-2016 at 07:58 PM.

Thanks
    I first got interested in them after seeing a normal ball and burm in a pet shop. my mom has always been deathly afraid of them so i could never get one as a kid. now that im on my own ive bought 2 and inherited another lol. The animals just always fascinated me as a kid and i wanted to learn as much as i could at a young age but there weren't many snake owners in the town i lived in.

Thanks
    I was a horse person first (still into horses.. two expensive hobbies now...) and someone posted photos of their ball python in a horse sim game forum I was a part of. I liked the shape of the snakes with the thick bodies and nice head shape. Really didn't think much of it until about a year later when they were posted again. I started googling about their care requirements and characteristics. I spent a good two months looking up things daily and finally decided I really wanted to do this. I was living with my dad and stepmom at the time and was SURE they were going to get freaked and say no. I presented my facts to them and surprisingly they agreed. I wanted something that was going to look unique. I didn't want a normal. I really wanted a bumblebee but at the time it was $450 or so and I didn't want to spend that money on just a pet (I smile at this now after all I've spent) so I bought a pinstripe. I got a male because they were said to be smaller and I thought 4-5ft was big at the time. Yep so first time ever touching a snake was when Allure came in the mail.

I do post my snakes and breeding plans and such to the current horse sim's forum I play. I have several people wanting baby snakes and trying to convince their husbands now. Several more just follow the threads with interest but no real plans to own until later.
    Last edited by Marrissa; 04-06-2016 at 12:03 AM.
    Alluring Constrictors

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234