Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,626

1 members and 1,625 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

BRB few questions

I am planning on getting a Brazilian rainbow boa and i was just wondering how big do they get, what size of enclosure will i need for a baby and adult, and do they have a mean disposition or not

Thanks

Re: BRB few questions

Adult size is about 4-5' for a Male and 5-6' for a female. As for disposition they can be nippy when young but the majority grow out of it. My male is the only snake over 5' long that I will let my daughter hold because I trust him fully. A baby can go in a 20L ( I never tell people to get 10gals they dont last long enough) I would go with a rubbermaid or sterlite though since they hold humidity much better and these snakes like it humid 80-90% at all times. they also have a much lower temp range. Temps over 88* can kill them if exposed for long periods of time. Feel free to shoot me any questions I will do my best to help you out. One thing make sure you set the enclosure up about a week before you get the snake to get everything in the proper ranges.
    -Sean
    Mazdaspeed 3, yeah its silly fast!

Thanks

Thanks that really helps alot now i just have to convince my dad that Boas arent Poisonous now i got one more question is it better to feed them live prekilled frozen thawed what?

Thanks

If this is your very first snake, it might be easier to start out with something else....the humidity/ventilation requirements for brb's can be a bit challenging.

Here's a link to NERD's caresheet.
    http://www.newenglandreptile.com/CareBRB.html
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Schlyne
    If this is your very first snake, it might be easier to start out with something else....the humidity/ventilation requirements for brb's can be a bit challenging.

Here's a link to NERD's caresheet.
    http://www.newenglandreptile.com/CareBRB.html

If he does the research in advance and sets up the enclosure in advance keeping a BRB isnt really that hard. The hardest part is the humidity issue.

As for what it is better to feed always try to get them to eat in this order F/T, Pre Killed, Not dead but twitching, Live. The problem with live is if you get them hooked on eating live prey you will have a big problem down the road when you BRB is eating Med rats a med rat could kill your snake.
    -Sean
    Mazdaspeed 3, yeah its silly fast!

Thanks

Ok thanks i dont think the humidity will be a problem because my room is crazy humid i got a dehumidifier just to keep it barable and this isnt my first snake its just my first BRB i use to have a couple of corn snakes im just trying to get into the larger species now. i was planning on getting a BP first but then i met my friends BRB and i got a chance to hold it and ive been hooked ever since

Thanks

alright i was just reading the NERD care sheet and it says during the breeding season to stop all feedings is this just if you plan to breed them or for all of them

Thanks

i just found this one enclosure made by Vision cages it is 24L x 22W x 14D does this seem like a good size or sould i go bigger/smaller