Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,108

1 members and 3,107 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: a few questions

Thanks

a few questions

i went to a local reptile show in madison yesterday and was talking to a local breeder. She said that she only feeds her cresties the cg mix (from t-rex i believe). Is this ok to do, or is better to offer crickets and/or fruit/babyfood too?

Also, I'm looking around for a cage to house 1 crestie. I would like something that is astetically pleasing as well as practical for the gecko...any suggestions? I know rubbermaids are common, but i'd like something with a little more visibility. Does turning a 10-20 gallon on its end work well?

Would you recommend starting with just one gecko, or do geckos do better in pairs? I've heard that males and females need to be separated during the winter to prevent the females from breeding themselves to death, but for someone who isn't interested in breeding (yet :-), is it possible to get two females and house them together year round? (i've also heard that males might show aggression towards one another, so i imagine its a bad idea to house them together as well)

thanks for your help!
    zach

BPnet Veteran BallPythonBabe448's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: a few questions

yes, yes and 15 G talls, 1 gecko, yes 2 females can.
    0.1 Bearded Dragon (Reka)

Thanks

cresteds will do fine fed the diet mix only. i use both the diet and crickets and offer peach babyfood as a treat. i feel that cresteds will grow quicker on crickets. a 15 or 20 gal. high tank is fine for one crested, if housing 2 adults look into a 29 or 30 high or larger. 2 females will do fine together but not always. i know some that keep more than one male in a setup, i personally don't do it.

vaughn
    you can't have just one!

Thanks

Ditto on what the others say. I agree with Vaughn on their growing faster with crickets, but they will eat and grow and be healthy on just the CGD. Anything from a ten-gallon on end on up will work for one adult crestie, but if you give them more height they will use it. I really like the plastic wall cabinet enclosure I made (see a photo in the caresheet) because it has plenty of height and space and looks less like a Rubbermaid in my living room, but it's still easy to clean and to move. It's been my experience that cresties do seem to appreciate each other's company. Put two in a cage and they will often be found hanging out together, so yes, if you can do two females I think that's a fine idea. Alternatively, just get two babies and raise them and if they're both male they won't usally bother each other if they're kept together from the time they're very small.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!