Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,845

0 members and 2,845 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,322 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Blog Entries

Question perlite/water mix in incubator

i am making an incubator for my crested eggs using perlite. i read to use 2 parts perlite to 1 part water. this slipped my mind (oops) and i mixed 1 part perlite to 1 part water, but that doesn't seem like all that wet of a mixture. it is moist but doesn't seem too moist...but i have no experience in this department. what ratio do you use (if you do the perlite/water mix)? is there a certain level or range of humidity that i want to achieve?
    - Emily

Thanks

Re: perlite/water mix in incubator

I think the consistency is supposed to be able to clump slightly when squeezed together, with no extra water laying around.

If I'm wrong, please correct me.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

yep thats what I have read just about everywhere. where did you get your perlite from? I will need some eventually and was wondering about good suppliers.
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

perlite doesn't clump like vermiculite. i mix my egg boxes with perlite. i don't really do a ratio. i mix water in until everything is damp but not soggy or standing water. i only put four little holes in it one on each side and keep an eye on the condensation on the lid. and check the egg's surface' alot. i'll get pics up soon. you can get perlite from any home/garden shop like southern states.

vaughn
    you can't have just one!

Thanks

where can you get vermiculite...same type of place?
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

couple shots of my egg boxes. first pic is lid on. the smaller yellowish eggs were laid last night! the bigger ones are due to hatch this week or next. the box is a rubbermaid brand, they call it "stain shield" it is 2.6qt size. i like it because it is clear and available at walmart.

vermiculite should also be found wherever perlite is sold.

vaughn
    you can't have just one!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

awesome, thanks for the pics! that's almost what mine looks like, i think it needs just a little more water though to be closer. i got my perlite in the garden section at walmart and i'm using a shoebox size rubbermaid which i also got at walmart. congrats on the new eggs vaughn and good luck on the ones that are due soon.
    - Emily

Thanks

thanks mle, i can't wait to see some of these babies this year. when you get eggs just watch them closely and make sure they don't get too dry or too wet. too wet and mold will start to grow, too dry they crinkle up a bit. i usually don't have to adjust the moisture level at all. sometimes when too much condensation is on the lid, i open it and wipe it off and fan a little fresh air in. the 4 holes i made are small like 1/8 inch. any bigger and a baby can escape. good luck on your pairings!

vaughn
    you can't have just one!

Thanks

I just want to mention that, in my limited experience, it really is better to have some sort of ongoing air exchange in the incubation container. I've tried using small airtight plastic containers and opening them weekly or so for air exchange as I've read others suggest, and I've tried using the small squarish deli containers from the grocery store (the things potato salad and such come in) that don't seal tightly, and the deli containers definitely make keeping the eggs at the right humidity easier. I have a pair of eggs in an airtight container right now, and while these eggs were odd-looking when I got them -- both were dented -- they "undented" and were looking good, but now appear discolored, so it could be the eggs, but it could also be too much humidity and/or not enough fresh air.

Good luck Mle!
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

thanks marla. the rubbermaid that i got isn't for food storage and doesn't seem as airtight as some so maybe that will help. i'm sure i'll be opening it and checking things and checking the perlite--i am sooo paranoid that i'm gonna mess it up! i have been messing with the mixture for 3 days now--last night i made it officially too wet. i never was very good at chemistry and all that scientific measuring stuff. i feel like i need an exact recipe to follow but i know it's just going to take a little trial and error.
    - Emily

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast