Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,601

0 members and 2,601 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rubbermaid Woes

Thanks

Unhappy Rubbermaid Woes

So wednesday I finally got around to Walmart to get Pelota a nice sized rubbermaid container(36 x 18 x 7 underbed storage), after keeping her in that cramped 20 gallon for 8 months(ever since I got her). I borrowed a friends soldering iron to melt some holes in the sides for air flow. I had 10 on each long side, and 4 on each short side. I thought that would be plenty. The holes are thick enough to put a pencil through. So I set it up, get Pelota in there, all heated nicely. Then I noticed my humidity. It was at 90-100%(the digital thermo was actually just saying HI% most of the time). So I figured crap, I gotta add more air holes. So friday night I got Pelota out, and had my sister hold her for a bit while I add a few more air holes. I probably added another 8 on each of the long sides. I figured that has to be plenty, with the total of holes now being 44. I just went upstairs right now, and the humidity is at 90 again.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. Should I just put a strip of holes on the lid so the humidity can escape from the top? Should I cut a square out of the top and put some mesh on it? Or what? I'd hate to do either of those, but if the humidity stays this high, somethings got to be done.

Also, how many holes did you rubbermaid users put in your containers? Did you have any problems with the humidity?

-a frustrated Cody
    2.0 python regius - Ace(pastel) and Pelota(cross-dresser )

Thanks

Re: Rubbermaid Woes

Yeah.. I always put a few holes on the lid as well. It's not a big deal. If you don't, you'll end up with a lot of condensation on the lid.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Yeah I was planning on putting a handful of holes on the lid tomorrow night(tonight technically), but just wanted to ask your thoughts about it on here. I guess you can't really go wrong with the holes...if I have too much, just tape them up.

Thanks

just add holes until the humidity gets right. Pay attention to how it affects your temperature also. good luck.
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries

yeah i have lots and lots of holes in my rubbermaids. all the way around the sides and on the top too. the humidity is on the high side here anyhow so lots of holes are a necessity. just keep soldering!
    - Emily

Thanks

lol, Yeah. I just feel sorry for Pelota. Just the other day, she gets taken out of that small, crowded glass tank, and into a nice roomy rubbermaid. She gets used to it, and starts settling in. Then I take her from it, and modify it. Then I put her back. She gets all comfy again, and I rip her from her comfy home yet again. lol It's a wonder how she puts up with me.

Thanks

i've got 68 holes in my tubs (41qt). it is roughly the same size tub. also how big and how much water do you have in it? i use a small flat cereal bowl roughly 4 inch diameter and fill it half way.

vaughn
    you can't have just one!

BPnet Veteran BallPythonBabe448's Avatar
    Thanks

I only put 30 holes in mine and it stayed at 56%. But I dont have Rubbermaids anymore, cus my snake didn't eat a prekilled rat and it stunk up the rubbermaid, and when we went to get it out the whole room smelled like a decaying rat, and the room was a loft so the whole house smelled like one...so ya we dont use them anymore
    0.1 Bearded Dragon (Reka)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kavmon
    i've got 68 holes in my tubs (41qt). it is roughly the same size tub. also how big and how much water do you have in it? i use a small flat cereal bowl roughly 4 inch diameter and fill it half way.

vaughn
    I use a ceramic/clay water bowl(I think it's actually a pot for plants or something...looks nice, and it's heavy, so I use it). It's maybe 7 inches across, and 4 inches high. I fill it a bit over half way.
    On a side note, I was using a smaller water dish previously(due to lack of room for a larger dish), and never caught Pelota drinking. Then 10 minutes after putting her in her new cage, with a larger water bowl, I got to watch her drink for the first time. Right in front of me. It was cute.

Anyway, I still haven't gotten around to putting some holes in the top of the rubbermaid. I might try it in a bit when I head upstairs for bed, but I'll most likely be too tired, and have to wait till later today after I get some sleep. Long night, lol.

Thanks

My humidity stays around 60 or so. There are 8 holes on each short side(4 are covered up with duct tape) and 36 holes on each long side(with the bottom rows of 9 covered with duct tape). The waterbowl I use is about 4 inches in diameter and about 2 inches high. I only have to fill it about halfway and the humidity stays put. Maybe a smaller bowl will help keep your humidity down? I found mine at the dollar store, it's plastic and has a very wide base. You can always make more holes than you need and just cover them up again to maintain the proper humidity.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast