Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,940

0 members and 2,940 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Why would he do this??

After Oscar sat in the window enjoying the sun and watching cars and the dogs for entertainment, I put him back in his home, soon after, he began doing what looked like nibbling his substrate. Upon closer look, he actually was not, he was "picking" out the little tiny pieces of reptocal he found, its the stuff I use to coat his crix. So, on a hunch, I put some on my finger and he began licking it off my finger... after this, I put a little on his dish to see what would happen. He continued to lick it up. After a few seconds he crawled back up under his basking light and is still there. I have never seen him do this before. Have any of you seen this type of thing with your dragons? Why would he be doing that? I even out of curiosity tasted the reptocal, to me it is plain with little taste at all. (LOL, Ok, I am kinda weird, I was curious to see if it was sweet or had some taste that might interest him.... and yes, I was the child who tried every new dog food or cat food Mom brought home)
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,322 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Why would he do this??

maybe he is deficient in one or more of the vitamins or something that is in the reptical and he is trying to make up for it? some animals know when something is lacking and they will specifically seek out food or even non-food items that contain whatever it is. i'm not sure if that applies to beardies but maybe that is what is going on.
    - Emily

Thanks

yep I keep tiny little dish's (milk caps most of the time) in all my herp enclosures that way they can lick up a little herp vit or calcium powder as they feel they need it works out well with all but my frilled he is jsut to spaztic to have it in the tank.
    -Sean
    Mazdaspeed 3, yeah its silly fast!

Thanks

That's different. I knew leos would lick it, but had not heard of beardies doing it. That's great that he recognizes the deficiency and is trying to fix it, though.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks

Yeah- I figured it was that he knows what he needs, but if he feels he is calcium difficient, cant figure out how for the life of me.. little booger gets his crix coated daily with reptocal. Guess I am gonna keep some in his home with him for next time he gets a craving.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"