Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,880

1 members and 2,879 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Check locally for crickets. They're supposed to live like 1-2 months so you'll have to buy them usually every 4-6 weeks and online has always been more than what I could find locally. My local store is charging me like 16 bucks for 1,000 crickets where online it seems like they cost 20+. If you can't find them local then I'd plan on breeding, but I haven't done that at all or looked too much into it. You'd need food, water crystals (or something to give them water, can't use a bowl), a few containers for different stages, a few containers with some type of substrate for eggs, and then an incubator seems pretty important. Incubator wise you can use really simple set ups, you can hatch out cricket eggs in the 70's, but they take longer to hatch than if you incubated at 90 degrees. So setting up a cooler with an heat source and a dimmer switch can do really well (if I breed them I'll probably leave them in the garage or in a box outside since it's like 90 degrees for 9 months out of the year).

They're supposed to be super easy to breed though because they grow fast and breed crazy well. A dollar's worth of crickets can get your breeding program started and you could hatch 1,000 crickets every week in like a month. And once you have them started you shouldn't have any issues maintaining the production. You could wipe out all of your bugs and spend minimal money to get back to where you were.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 657 Posts

Re: What to feed baby chameleons?

Be sure to gut load any that you buy you do not know what they have been eating and chameleons are rather sensitive you want to make sure the crickets have a good diet of good food not just whatever so that your chameleons get the most out of them
    Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.

Ohio but looking to relocate grrrr new laws!
    Thanks
    3-4" baby vields are practically new borns. I do not know you level of experience with chams but newborns are a challenge to get well established. make sure you are getting them from a reputable breeder and do lots of research on rearing the babies. I've been down this very path and it can be devastating. I know a nice sized cage and all the stuff to make it luxurious for them is tempting but at that size simple and small is the way to go at least until they are well started. babies can have a hard time finding their food in a large cage. breeding crickets is not a simple task either. they smell and are not the simplest feeder to breed. if you want to breed your own feeders then I would suggest fruit flys to start and a colony of red runner roaches. new born red runners are about the same size as pinhead crickets. they dont smell anything near as bad as crickets, they breed easily, the care is simple for them. Hope I gave you some things to consider and best of luck.
    Come see what's new with us at https://www.facebook.com/BFEPetsandSupply

Happy Herping!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12