Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,741

0 members and 2,741 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

Thread: Smelly rats?

Thanks

Question Smelly rats?

I fed my BP for the third time today. He ate like a champ just like the last two times it's actually pretty amazing but I noticed a smell that I hadn't smelt before. I do have a super sniffer as my husband and father call it, my mom has it too, we can smell things no one else can at certain times during our cycle (sorry about the TMI) and we get very nauseous from some smells like cigarette smoke, certain meats etc. so it's possible mine is just really sensitive today because I have been noticing smells all day but I wanted to see if anyone has ever noticed a smell. It's not bad, I have smelt dead animals like decomposing and it's not like that but there is definitely a smell so at what point does that mean the rat is bad? He was frozen until I heated him in warm tap water, he was thawed for sure but not very hot just warm to the touch. Maybe it's just me I don't know, what do you guys think?

Thanks
    Where did the rat come from? What did it smell like?

Thanks

Re: Smelly rats?

The fur probably absorbed some smell from the place it was farmed. Did it just smell like a dirty animal? I often find that when I start thawing out rats in hot water it makes the smell worse.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

Thanks
    Yeah like a dirty animal but also a bit like a corpse. It came from the same supplier the major breeders and reptile sanctuary in my area use so it's reputable. It smelt sort of like rat poop but also a bit like a dead body but of course the thing is dead and I'm the only one that could even smell it in my household. It's fur did get a bit wet too. I ended up throwing up later in the day so it's possible my nose was in over drive, we are trying to conceive so I might be (fingers crossed) pregnant and that is why I could smell it. I'll see how he is, I likely have a vet follow up because it looks like the store I got him from had a pin worm issue with their feed, I only used theirs for the first 2 weeks he was here and have since put him on the more trustworthy feed but he will likely need to follow up after treatment so if this feed was bad I am pretty sure we will know soon. Thanks for your replies!

Thanks
    Sometimes, I can smell the blood in a f/t mouse or rat. It may not be visible at first, but after it's been warmed up for a little while or during the thawing process, blood starts appearing at the nose and mouth - it smells like raw meat to me. Not unpleasant, but distinctive. I've also been noticing a chemical smell on the f/t rats that I bought recently, and my ball won't touch them. I gave the latest one a bath, and couldn't smell it anymore, but he still wouldn't take it - so I think he's just being a pain and doesn't want to switch to rats.

Thanks

Re: Smelly rats?

Well hey! I have certainly read that a sensitive nose can be a sign of pregnancy, so good luck!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

Thanks
    Yeah there is usually a bit of blood in the nose when it is thawed, I think it was just normal but I have a sensitive nose. He seems fine, he appears to have a pink belly getting ready for a shed.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    In my past anatomy and physiology studies I have read that women have a superior/more sensitive olfactory than males, thus they are supposedly better sniffers.

However being the only male in the house with 3 females for many years definitely did not prove that out. I was the only one who seemed to notice when things were askew.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.