Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,567

1 members and 1,566 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PVC vs Melamine

Thanks

Re: PVC vs Melamine

Quote Originally Posted by Prognathodon View Post
    Ok, I finally figured out what was bugging me about this - where are you getting your ends from?

Four 4' X 2' top/bottom/aides are going to use your whole sheet. Or is your front going to be made completely out of some other material?

Sent using software and hardware

Lol the front will be sliding glass doors so that's why I only need 1 sheet

Thanks

Putting on my Civil Engineer hat, it all depends on the design - and that applies equally to melamine or any other material. Also depends on the relative sizes of the two things you're stacking, and if you will be putting plywood or some other kind of support/weight-distribution material between them. You might need/want internal buttressing, you may not.

If you're unsure, get all your specs and requirements noted down, and get design help.

Sent using software and hardware
    The v400 is the same length 4 feet but the v400 is 2 inches wider. The vision cages are quite lite but idk if its to heavy to sit on a simple box design. I plan on taking those plastic storage shelves that home depot sells and taking it apart and cutting poles down a little and placing the poles on top of custom cage which will lead up to the shelf and the vision will be on top of the shelf.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    Generally people make the front something you can see through.
    Yes, I get that, that's why I asked if the front was going to be completely out of some other material - if you were going to do it like the AP cages, which have a front with cutouts for the doors, you still need a front panel, and for most door styles I'd do a front panel that the doors attach to. Thus the question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrid16371 View Post
    Lol the front will be sliding glass doors so that's why I only need 1 sheet
    Ok. I think you need some kind of front panel, or at least a center front support. Otherwise you've got the whole front edge of the top unsupported, and I would expect it to bow under its own weight (much less stacking another cage on top). Husband reading over my shoulder (who tends to rein in my tendency to over-engineering) concurs.

0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

Thanks

Ok. I think you need some kind of front panel, or at least a center front support. Otherwise you've got the whole front edge of the top unsupported, and I would expect it to bow under its own weight (much less stacking another cage on top). Husband reading over my shoulder (who tends to rein in my tendency to over-engineering) concurs.

I should of went into more detail with my plan. There will be support in the front but it won't be PVC it will be either cherry, hard maple, or red oak. Pieces that can be easily replaced since I have so much of it. Unless I can find smaller pieces of pvc at home depot. Im not going to spend another $78 just for front support. My step dad is a contractor and has built many houses, furniture, etc and we have a whole plan sketched out. I didn't go into as much detail bc the purpose of the thread was to find out the pros and cons of each material. Thanks everyone for your help.

Thanks

So I was at home depot to buy the sheet of PVC and there was a chip on the corner of the only sheet that was left. So I asked an employee if they had anymore that wasn't chipped and he said no but if I take the chipped one he will give it to me for $25!!! That saved me $53!!! Of course I bought it lol it wasn't a horrible chip as I will only be losing an inch on my length or width whatever I decide. Can't wait to start putting this together tomorrow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12