Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,889

3 members and 2,886 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Eyecap help.

Thanks

Eyecap help.

Hello all,

My little spider Salazar just had his first shed since I got him a month ago. It was not a good shed, but also wasn't terrible. He got 95% of his skin off, just not in one piece.

I'm concerned because I only found one eye cap in the shed and there is some skin still attached above the eye in question but not below it. Is there a way to determine whether or not he still has an eye cap attached? I don't want to go into eye cap removal if there isn't a retained cap and accidentally damage his eye.

Both of his eyes look the same and his vision seems to be normal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'm already addressing the husbandry issues that led to the bad shed.

Thanks

Re: Eyecap help.

Even if there is a retained cap, don't bother trying to remove it. Keep your husbandry right and it will come off next shed. Some people freak out and want to get it off right away, but there is risk of damaging the eye and it will not bother the snake if it stays on until next shed. Keep humidity a little higher than normal and it might work the cap off itself anyways. If it's too much to keep overall humidity up, put some sphagnum moss in the hides and keep it damp.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SKO For This Useful Post:

FTDOOM (03-08-2016)

Thanks

Re: Eyecap help.

Thank you. That is what I was planning to do unless someone had a for sure way to tell there was a retained cap. Salazar has been doing so good here, I really don't want to risk stressing him out with a heavy shed assist. He's only got a little on top of his head left over and for all I know the other eye cap was with the pieces of skin that he got dirty with his massive shed poop.