Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,127

1 members and 3,126 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Message to vender of shows from USark

I know I am not active in this forum any more but this is the community that got me started... this was posted on USark's Facebook page... even if it is not from them legit it is still good to follow it..
    LEGAL WARNING to all herpers attending, vending or promoting reptile shows, especially before April 1, 2016. Actually, we are at heightened risk any time before the Federal Circuit Court for DC rules on the appeal of USARK's PI (preliminary injunctin). RISK: USFWS would love to catch herpers violating the injurious species provision of the Lacey Act in an effort to create negative publicity and sway the judges hearing the appeal of USARK's PI. It is hard to say exactly what USFWS may be planning, but a sting operation to discredit herpers and USARK would be consistent with their modus operandi. Such a sting could be focused on the salamanders recently listed under the Lacey Act. Or it could be focused on the large pythons and anacondas. USFWS could target the biggest show or shows, like Tinley, or some of the smaller shows. I would not be surprised if USFWS has plans to dispatch undercover agents to numerous reptile shows of different sizes targeting all reptiles and amphibians listed under the Lacey Act.
    USFWS can be very sneaky/tricky. I don't know what tricks they will be using, but here are a couple I would anticipate. (1) USFWS undercover Agent says to seller of a burm, yeah I understand you need me to sign a release that I am from instate and that I am purchasing the burm to be kept instate. Then Agent says: I'll get a friend of mine who is instate to buy the burm for me so there is no problem. If you know/have reason to believe the burm is going out of state, then a release is not worth the paper it is written on. (2) Same scenario, except it's a retic rather than a burm and the buyer says I got some fake USARK paperwork that says I am legal to transport. Don't think you can get away with using fake paperwork because USFWS will be verifying the paperwork with USARK. (3) Someone you have known for a while from out of state says it's ok to sell her a Lacey Act salamander. Nobody will know. (USFWS can have female Agents) Or they try to sell you Lacey Act salamanders at a cheap price that you as a vendor can quickly flip at the show for a nice profit, but you are told the salamanders came from another state. But the person you are dealing with got caught violating a USFWS law and is cooperating with USFWS to get a reduced criminal charge. Don't get suckered into doing anything shady. The scenarios are endless. Just don't DO IT. (4) If you as a vendor have been asked to bring a Lacey Act listed snake or salamander to a show that is out of state for you to make the transaction in a hotel room or something like that, just DON'T DO IT. I would bet that phone calls like this have already happened. JUST DO NOT violate the Lacey Act prohibition on interstate transportation. No illegal deals with "winks and nods." Play it straight. If you have been stupid enough to post something on one of the popular FB forums suggesting you would be willing to break the law, you have already given USFWS probable cause/reasonable suspicion. You are at high risk. I am asking all promoters to warn their vendors that any any apparent violation of the Lacey Act will result in permanent removal from the reptile show. We need all herpers to put pressure on their fellow herpers to follow the rules even though we believe the appeal process will find the interstate transportation prohibition invalid. Thank you, Richard Stanley
    The only way to shine your light is in the dark...Never let life kill your spark- Crown the Empire

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to crepers86 For This Useful Post:

Ashley96 (03-11-2016),bcr229 (03-08-2016),Crowfingers (03-08-2016),Cthulhu2015 (03-16-2016),SmoothScales (03-08-2016)