Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,283

3 members and 2,280 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: feeding in tank

Thanks

feeding in tank

I saw a thread about how a poster was converted to in-tank feeding. I can't find the original thread with all the information as to why in-tank feeding is superior to tub feeding. Would you guys mind educating me as well? I've always believed that in-tank feeding caused aggression. It would be such a relief if that's just a myth!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    It is a myth. There is no compelling reason to feed your snake in a separate enclosure.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (02-27-2016)

Thanks
    Its just a myth, feeding them in tank does not cause aggression... Theres no reason to move them its cause's unnessecary stress to the animal and they could possibly begin to associate being removed from the cage as feeding time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to M.P.C For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (02-27-2016)

Thanks
    Really, the only viable reason I've ever heard of for feeding in a separate enclosure is that if the only time you open the cage is to feed them, they learn to associate you opening the cage with you feeding them.

Of course, if you think about that, then if the only time you open the cage is to take them out and then feed them, they're going to learn to associate you opening the cage with you feeding them.

And if the only time you open the cage is to feed them, then what does it matter if they do associate it with you feeding them? Personally, I'd rather have them be excited in the cage, and settle down once they're out of it, than the other way around. But then, mine all come out to play regularly, so they just heave a proverbial sigh of resignation when I open the cage if they don't see food. But if I open one tub, they know that sound - I'll have six little noses poking out of hides immediately to see if anybody's getting fed, and find out why they aren't if someone else is. However, as soon as the snake in the tub sees that it's not food, it settles right down.

I do, however, make a point of not having rodent scent all over my hands when I take a snake out, or snake scent if I take my kingsnake out! I made the mistake of checking on one of my ball pythons before taking my Kingsnake out one day, and the poor Kingsnake got so excited about the snake smell on my hands that he bit his own tail. Not me, himself. He was very put out about the whole affair.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Caspian For This Useful Post:

Kaatje (02-27-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,492 Times in 2,686 Posts

Re: feeding in tank

I feed all my snakes in their enclosures with no problems. It's less stressful for the snakes and for me.

Thanks

awesome! Thanks for all the feedback! I've had a snake on a hunger strike for about two weeks now. I'm excited to try in tank feeding and see if I can coax her to eat!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    The story came from people who believed that since snakes are animals of habit, they would get conditioned into thinking that opening the cage meant food was coming. This was debunked years ago. There are some snakes which are territorial with their enclosure but that has nothing to do with feeding. As long as you interact with your snake and stuff, you should be fine. All my gals perk up when the cage is opened but the minute they smell my hand and not a rabbit or rat, they lay back down and I pet them, change water and usually take them out. I have used hooks for any of them, I just reach in and pick them up and they are fine. The problems came when you have something like a retic or burm who have very strong feeding responses. Then you try and move them into a feeding tub and feed them. Then you try and move them out, yeah not gonna happen as they got long feeding responses.

Also some people didn't like to feed in cages if they have them all decorated and feed live as the rodents will run around and could hide in stuff and you don't want to leave a live rodent with the snake unattended. Plus rodents will pee and poop all over in the snakes cage. I feed prekilled and F/T so the only problems I encounter are aspen on their food. I cure it by using paper plates or a big ceramic casserole dish I got that I plop the snakes head and food item onto and they usually eat it there.

My BP girl has been on a hunger strike now for about 3-4 months now, since Oct or Nov. I don't really remember as I don't pay attention. I just try a rat on her every 2-3 weeks when I feed my yearling sunglow boa. If she takes it, then I have to get my boa food, if not, well then there is no waste as my boa gets it.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (02-27-2016)

Thanks
    Yeah it's just a myth.

Popeye know's when feeding day is and waits on his hide for me to weigh him. That's the only handling I can get away with on a Monday afternoon!
    1.0 Coastal X Jungle Carpet Python - Popeye, March 2015

Follow his progress HERE!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Herpo For This Useful Post:

tembii (03-10-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaatje View Post
    awesome! Thanks for all the feedback! I've had a snake on a hunger strike for about two weeks now. I'm excited to try in tank feeding and see if I can coax her to eat!
    Two weeks is normal for a few of my Royals and they these feed better with a two week gap , the other will feed more often .

I did have an Albino Royal who went 9 months without eating and was perfectly fine when she restarted.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    The story came from people who believed that since snakes are animals of habit, they would get conditioned into thinking that opening the cage meant food was coming. This was debunked years ago. There are some snakes which are territorial with their enclosure but that has nothing to do with feeding. As long as you interact with your snake and stuff, you should be fine. All my gals perk up when the cage is opened but the minute they smell my hand and not a rabbit or rat, they lay back down and I pet them, change water and usually take them out. I have used hooks for any of them, I just reach in and pick them up and they are fine. The problems came when you have something like a retic or burm who have very strong feeding responses. Then you try and move them into a feeding tub and feed them. Then you try and move them out, yeah not gonna happen as they got long feeding responses.

Also some people didn't like to feed in cages if they have them all decorated and feed live as the rodents will run around and could hide in stuff and you don't want to leave a live rodent with the snake unattended. Plus rodents will pee and poop all over in the snakes cage. I feed prekilled and F/T so the only problems I encounter are aspen on their food. I cure it by using paper plates or a big ceramic casserole dish I got that I plop the snakes head and food item onto and they usually eat it there.

My BP girl has been on a hunger strike now for about 3-4 months now, since Oct or Nov. I don't really remember as I don't pay attention. I just try a rat on her every 2-3 weeks when I feed my yearling sunglow boa. If she takes it, then I have to get my boa food, if not, well then there is no waste as my boa gets it.
    Nice post !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast