Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,771

1 members and 2,770 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pest control?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    I really couldn't imagine any type of pest spraying would be good for any living thing. I mean after all, the stuff is designed to kill. Like mentioned, you can ask for a MSDS sheet or the name of the pesticide they are spraying, then google it for a MSDS sheet. Regardless though, I would be most worried about neurological problems. I mean Permethrin, Pyrethrin and stuff like no pest strips have been known to kill reptiles or give them serious neuro problems and all those chemicals are used in some pesticides. Again, I would find out exactly what they are using and MSDS it and find out.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-14-2018)

Thanks
    I say get some good bug traps and refuse spraying.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From years back working for a pest control company I can tell you that we highly recommended that rooms with any reptiles, amphibian and aquatics not to be sprayed.

The issue with pest control in apartments is that when someone refuses and everyone else's accept the pest will migrate in the apartment that has not been sprayed, that being said twice monthly is really over the top and only focusing on bathroom and kitchen is also very inefficient for the same reason mention previously (you either spray everything or you don't)

I own a house but I do my own pest prevention (I live in the south and in the wood so prevention is important to me), I spray all baseboard in every room except the snake room, for the snake room the carpet in the stairways is sprayed and that's it.

If I was living in apartment I would definitely have pest control come (things can go bad very quick depending on your neigh boors) however I would require to be there and that treatment is done once a month not more if done by an outside company, if done by the care taker of the apartment complex (who often use this as an excuse to nose in) I would refuse and do my own treatment.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

SCWood (03-04-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Heh, this thread makes me glad to live in New England. We keep our thermostat fairly low and the kitchen is particularly poorly insulated... but in the winter, we can get away with being fairly lax about putting food away and nothing happens to it. In the summer we can't do that (we don't have A/C, and the windows are usually open) but even still we don't usually see much worse than fruit flies or maybe a few ants.
    Of course, on the other hand, we often wear hats in the house and heating a 20L tank for a BP requires an 80-watt RHP. But we don't need much in the way of pesticides!

Thanks

Re: Pest control?

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    From years back working for a pest control company I can tell you that we highly recommended that rooms with any reptiles, amphibian and aquatics not to be sprayed.

The issue with pest control in apartments is that when someone refuses and everyone else's accept the pest will migrate in the apartment that has not been sprayed, that being said twice monthly is really over the top and only focusing on bathroom and kitchen is also very inefficient for the same reason mention previously (you either spray everything or you don't)

I own a house but I do my own pest prevention (I live in the south and in the wood so prevention is important to me), I spray all baseboard in every room except the snake room, for the snake room the carpet in the stairways is sprayed and that's it.

If I was living in apartment I would definitely have pest control come (things can go bad very quick depending on your neigh boors) however I would require to be there and that treatment is done once a month not more if done by an outside company, if done by the care taker of the apartment complex (who often use this as an excuse to nose in) I would refuse and do my own treatment.
    Did I say twice monthly? I meant every other month 😂
    2.1 Ball Python(Sterling, Boots, & Eden)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa(Anakin)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon(Beatrix/Trixie)
    0.1 Kitty Cat(Willow)
    1.0 Chihuahua(Panda-Bear)
    2.0 Betta Fish(Finnley & Pescado)
    0.2 Rats(Mishka & Laney)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12