Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,062

0 members and 2,062 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Any Bird People Around

I thought you may find this interesting. I was wondering different peoples' opinions on this. Do you guys feel this is a good agreement?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7480632/

Petco agrees to stop large-bird sales
    Deal ends PETA boycott of pet supply chain

The Associated Press
    Updated: 7:45 p.m. ET April 12, 2005

SAN DIEGO - Petco Animal Supplies Inc. said Tuesday it will stop selling large birds in a deal with an animal rights group, which agreed to end its boycott of the pet supply chain.

Amazon and African grey parrots, cockatoos and macaws will no longer be sold at Petco stores once the company runs through its existing stock. Petco will continue selling smaller and medium-sized birds, such as canaries, finches, parakeets, cockatiels and conures.

“We recognize that most of our bird customers are what we would call ’beginning hobbyists.’ Large birds are not necessarily appropriate for these individuals due to their long lifespan, size and care requirements,” Bruce Hall, Petco’s president and chief operating officer, said in a statement.

San Diego-based Petco, the country’s No. 2 pet supply chain with 730 stores, also agreed to encourage adoption of homeless birds from shelters and to separate mice and rats by gender to prevent them from breeding.

In return, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals agreed to end demonstrations outside Petco stores and take down its anti-Petco Web site. The Norfolk, Va.-based organization began attacking the company in January 2003 for what PETA called Petco’s pattern of mishandling pets for sale.

“We’d be happier if all birds weren’t sold, but this is a precedent-setting action,” said Daphna Nachminovitch, a PETA spokeswoman. “It is a victory for the birds for certain.”

Large parrots can easily outlive their adult owners, said Nachminovitch, who considers parrots to be wild animals and unsuitable pets. Wild and escaped parrots are known to flock noisily in San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco and other cities.

Last year, Petco paid more than $900,000 to settle two lawsuits that accused the company of mistreating animals and overcharging customers. A complaint by PETA to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission that calls on Petco to disclose revenue and inventory figures of pet sales remains pending.

____
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

Thanks

Re: Any Bird People Around

While I can't stand PeTA, I think that most people who buy larger birds at Petco probably have NO idea what they're in for. Buying large parrots from responsible breeders is the best way to go.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

I'd definitely support this (although Peta officially sucks). Having a bigger bird is like having a 2 year old that never grows out of it. It's a huge commitment & like adding a new person to the family. Smaller birds - while still quite a commitment - are often much better choices for beginner keepers.

Just for comparison, we do bigger birds by special request only @ our store, and breed our own lovebirds, parakeets, cockatiels, etc. so that there are always socialized hand-fed birds around.

K~
    Kara L. Norris
    The Blood Cell - BloodPythons.com
    Selectively-bred bloods & short-tailed pythons
    Quality is our only filter.

Banned
    Thanks

yea people also sometimes buy them not knowing how long they will live because our blue and gold macaw died about 2 years ago and she was 48 years old and boy did she love chewing which is another thing some people dont know bout them, that they need to chew

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty_Reptiles
    In return, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals agreed to end demonstrations outside Petco stores and take down its anti-Petco Web site. The Norfolk, Va.-based organization began attacking the company in January 2003 for what PETA called Petco’s pattern of mishandling pets for sale.
    I understand the point about what's best for the birds and personally don't agree with PetCo selling animals that require higher experience levels to keep, but now that Petco has given in to PETA on this issue, what if PETA decides to start setting up websites and boycotting them for selling fish, reptiles, and feeder rodents? If you don't see that one coming, stand by. PETA's ultimate goal is to deny people the right to own pets, close all zoos, and return ALL animals (from roaches to horses) back to the wild.

Maybe that's not a bad thing because so many people can't stand PetCo's because of the bad advice many give and the sometimes horrible conditions. Who cares right? Well, after PETA manages to drive PetCo out of business who do think they are going to pick on next??? They'll go after the mom and pop pet stores, and then eventually the breeders. They won't stop until you can't buy pets anymore.

I would have much rather seen PetCo tell PETA to go screw themselves and slowly phase out the selling of large birds over time as discreetly as possible if that's what they believe is right. Now that PETA has an inch ... well, you know the rest.

One point for PETA I guess.

(rant over, sorry about that)

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Yup, that's what I don't like, Adam.

April

Thanks

and what the bleep is the deal about preserving the chastity of the rodents?

and to separate mice and rats by gender to prevent them from breeding

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Smulkin
    and what the bleep is the deal about preserving the chastity of the rodents?
    It's part of PETA's ultimate goal to stop ALL captive breeding of ALL animals. Once no more animals are bred in captivity, even if they can't free every pet in America, sooner or later they will die off and PETAs goal will be reached.

(ok, now the rant is over ... really this time :p)

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

I guess they're worried about the thousands of unwanted homeless rats and mice in the shelters. they are so retarded..

April

Thanks

Its all about precedence...I mean, if thats all PETA wanted, then they would have closed up shop and gone home after this settlement was made. Yeah right. Like Adam said, this is a radical organization which will not stop until their radical goals are realized.

First they go after large corporations with deep pockets and lots to lose.

I do, however, believe that the buck will stop at some point in time. Legal precedence can go a long way, but it generally will not take a cause to its ultimate destination by itself. Something else has to come into the frame.

I believe that PETA will eventually hit its wall when they start to infringe upon individual rights and liberties, which includes the right to keep captive-bred companion animals. Thats a pastime that will never be taken away by the judiciary, as they are well aware of PETA's goals and beliefs.

So here's a question for you breeders and those involved in the reptile trade on a commercial basis: If we did get to that point, would it really be all that bad? No imported wildlife, less poaching for animal removal in native habitats, and only captive bred animals available for trade. As reptile enthusiasts, I think we all have an interest in protecting wild populations of animals, which is a common interest we share with PETA. I'm curious to know what you all would think of that.
    -Brad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast