Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,659

2 members and 1,657 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Size to feed?

Thanks

Size to feed?

My BP is about 135g, and about the width of a quarter. He looks fatter than that, but when I held the coin up to him that's how wide his back is across the top (I haven't handled him at all since he at since he's digesting).

He only just arrived on Tuesday morning and was very docile, but very quickly started giving me what I would call hungry eyes over the next couple days (coiled neck in S shape and avidly watching me through the glass). Thursday was his feed day at the breeder so I'm guessing his internal alarm clock was ringing. Last night he took a f/t mouse fuzzy, but I know that's too small (my husband picked it up at the store to be helpful but didn't know how the sizes work).

I just don't have any mice to compare to the coin on hand atm, and was hoping you guys would have some suggestions on exactly what I should get him. He is still giving me hungry eyes and pokes his head out of his hide to watch when he is not hanging out on his plant.

The breeder said he is eating weaned mice, but also said no retired breeder mice. I'm not sure if that's because they are bigger, or because they are worn out (?). They also said not hoppers.

Thoughts? Is "weaned" a broad term like "rat pup" or is it pretty specific?
    Last edited by PeanutButler; 02-05-2016 at 10:40 AM.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    He just means adult mice. Retired breeder mice would be too big (they're usually called jumbos and around 35g to 45g). Mice hoppers are too small.

For 135g you're looking for rat pups.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

Thanks

Re: Size to feed?

Ok thanks so much. I do want to switch him to rats but as he is used to live mice I thought I would switch him to f/t mice and then to rats in the next few feedings so as not to mame too huge of a change right off the bat. I thought he might be too stressed out to eat having just arrived, but I guess not!

I had read that "rat pup" kind of means a lot of different things to different people. To clarify, how many grams should his prey items be? Is it still ok give one to him even though he just had the fuzzy mouse (tiny as it is)?
    Last edited by PeanutButler; 02-05-2016 at 11:01 AM.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButler View Post
    Ok thanks so much. I do want to switch him to rats but as he is used to live mice I thought I would switch him to f/t mice and then to rats in the next few feedings so as not to mame too huge of a change right off the bat. I thought he might be too stressed out to eat having just arrived, but I guess not!

I had read that "rat pup" kind of means a lot of different things to different people. To clarify, how many grams should his prey items be? Is it still ok give one to him even though he just had the fuzzy mouse (tiny as it is)?
    If you're weighing food, the general rule is 10% to 15% bodyweight at his size. I personally go up to 20% or even 25% when they are that small, but I only feed once a week.

I would just leave him until your next scheduled feeding. He'll be fine.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

Thanks
    My snake was just about that size or a little smaller when I ordered a bag of frozen "rat fuzzies". They are about 14g-24g. That falls right at or a little above the 10%-15%. My snake has done very well with them at one every 6 days.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 200xth View Post
    If you're weighing food, the general rule is 10% to 15% bodyweight at his size. I personally go up to 20% or even 25% when they are that small, but I only feed once a week.

I would just leave him until your next scheduled feeding. He'll be fine.
    Oh ok. He just looks so hungry. Or maybe just aggressive. *shrug*.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LittleTreeGuy View Post
    My snake was just about that size or a little smaller when I ordered a bag of frozen "rat fuzzies". They are about 14g-24g. That falls right at or a little above the 10%-15%. My snake has done very well with them at one every 6 days.
    Hmm that's what I was thinking too for when I switch him. Thanks!
    Last edited by PeanutButler; 02-05-2016 at 12:40 PM.