Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,743

1 members and 2,742 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Beardie Caresheet...

I was looking through our sites caresheets & I noticed that we do not have one on Beardies. I also looked over at the NERD site & they do not have one either. Does anybody know where I can find a reliable one? I really want a Beardie & I think it might end up being my next purchase due to the relative inexpensive nature of this beautiful creature that I have wanted for a long time anyway. See, I am itchin for a new herp but cannot afford to spend a ton of money. I have a good reptile vet with VERY reasonable pricing (I get a yearly check up for Hissy every year for $35, a fecal for $10 & he sexed her for free) and I want a Beardie anyhow so I thought that soon would be a good time! So, like I said, can anyone help me out with some reliable care sheets for Beardies?
    Life is like a game of poker. You can play each hand to the best of your ability but you are still going to run into a bad beat from time to time. What matters is how you handle it. Do you go on tilt or can you maintain your composure & rebuild your stack?

Thanks

Re: Beardie Caresheet...

www.lynnsbeardeddragons.com Lynn Hendricks is an awesome woman, and I have seen her dragons in person at many of the shows I've gone to. She knows her stuff You can also try Dragon's Den. Hope that helped a bit. I've been wanting a beardie as well, but no space right now. Hopefully soon though.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Thanks a ton Becky. That was very helpful & informative. I asked for reliable sheets because I read some things in an internet search that seemed very inaccurate to me. I saw one sheet that said you only needed a hot spot of 90*F & the cool side at 75*F at all times. I thought that seemed low for a desert dwelling reptile. Again, thanks for the link, very informative caresheet.
    Life is like a game of poker. You can play each hand to the best of your ability but you are still going to run into a bad beat from time to time. What matters is how you handle it. Do you go on tilt or can you maintain your composure & rebuild your stack?

Thanks

We do have one. It was just on page 2. http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....warticle&id=23
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

BPnet Veteran BallPythonBabe448's Avatar
    Thanks

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Reka)

Thanks

BPbabe, just trying to help clear up a few things with your care sheet. Going into a little more detail on a few areas will help with any confusion anyone might have when they read it.

Wheat bran and alfalfa will also cause impactions. Since they are dry, when they enter the body, they soak up any moisture inside the animal, and as they go further down the digestive tract, the more moisture they soak up, creating a very dry blockage.

Sand is safe when it is fine playsand and then sifted to remove any pebbles. If they are getting a proper diet and are well hydrated, there usually aren't any problems with sand. You're very right on the calci-sand though. Ick!

With the mealworms, you can give the white, freshly shed ones, but they aren't very nutritious anyway. Superworms are nutritious, and can be used as part of the staple, as well as the other food items you mentioned.

You also might want to mention how many crickets per feeding or for how long you should offer crickets to babies until they stop eating for each feeding. It will help people, who read the caresheet, get an idea of how many crickets they are going to need. You might also want to mention that those Rep-Cal pellets need to be soaked and be slightly crunchy when fed to a beardie. If the beardie doesn't like them, soaking them in apple juice helps.

I'm not trying to be rude or offend you. You did a great job on the caresheet, there were just a few things that needed to be added or elaborated on. Know what I mean, Vern?
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

great care sheet, like becky said just a few things to go into more detail on I would also add what type of UVB bulb to get no less than a 5.0 but a 8.0 would be much better 2.0 is not enough output for a bearded. they only other thing is a 20L is a bit small for a 12" dragon by that time they need to be moved to a larger enclosure.
    again awsome care sheet.
    -Sean
    Mazdaspeed 3, yeah its silly fast!

Thanks

Wheat bran usually doesn't cause impaction, and neither does alfalfa pellets. Even if they do, if you soak your beardie 2-3 times (or more) a week then it should pass just fine (like you should). Yes, it can cause it, but its very unlikely.

I would never put any of my dragons on sand, and I have seen and witnessed horrific impactions in beardies and other herps from washed, sifted, playsand. I am not going to advise anyone to put their bearded dragons on sand. My best friends bearded dragon died from washed playsand. Im not saying there is anything wrong with it if you take all precautions (feed outside of cage, etc) and keep it very clean, but most inexperienced herpers who use it do not take the precautions. My caresheet is for inexperienced and experienced herpers alike, and you (expereinced herper) saw that and new that you could use that if you take precautions (as an expereienced herper would), but an inexpereienced herper may not know that and use it and have a dead beardie.

Mealies-while yes you can feed the freshly shed ones, they still aren't very nutritious therefor not a good staple either way. ALso some might not know how to tell the freshly shed and unshed ones apart.

About the cages, I agree, I would move my beardie up to a bigger enclosure. But that is the absolute MAXIMUM size you can put in a small tank. Also, if I just said "while they are babies" someone might think their 7 inch dragon (considered a juvenile) could go in a 75 gallon tank, and that would caus ethe dragon stress.

I will add the part about the UVB bulbs. I am also going to rephrase the sand and say that there is risk with any sand, but calci-sand (etc) is the absolute worst substrate you can possibly have and will kill your beardie. Playsand isn't the safest choice, but can be used if you follow precautions. Something like that. I'm also going to add links to impaction pictures/stories just so they dont say "well who shoud I trust this lady or this brand name product?"

Thanks for all of the help! I will change my caresheet accordingly.

Thanks

Cali-sand is pure crap I would never used that stuff and the main reason is it clumps up when wet and will not pass. I also would not put my beardies on just sand its way to messy I use a mix of the following 50% orgainic top soil 25% play sand 25% clay it makes for a awsome subtrate that is solid enough not to end up in there mouths while they eat but it also lets them dig (which they like to do).
    I am a firm believer in keeping animals that like to dig on a subtrate tha lets them even with my small babies that I wont use anything but paper towels on I fill a small cat littler pan with some soil for them to play in until they can live on it all the time.
    -Sean
    Mazdaspeed 3, yeah its silly fast!

Thanks

Not all beardies like to dig. My 2 have never tried to dig...but I guess all beardies are different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast