Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,781

1 members and 2,780 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Registered User oculus_ignigena's Avatar
    Thanks

Do I decide when my baby ball eats, or do I let her decide?

Is it better to feed a baby ball python as much as she will eat, or to restrict her to once per week (or however often I think she should be eating)?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    I prefer to offer food every week on the same day. For me that happens to be Wednesday. If they eat, they eat. If they don't, they don't.

Having said that, I see nothing wrong with feeding young snakes every 5 days if your ultimate goal is to get weight on them quickly. I don't breed BPs so I have no issues with having them grow at a slower pace.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

oculus_ignigena (02-05-2016)

Thanks
    I think I would feed them only once a week. Maybe every 5 days for a young snake, then move that back to a little less often as the snake grows and gets older.

I say that, because i remember reading somewhere that snakes are opertunisitic feeders... meaning that if the oppurtunity is there, they are likely to take it, since in the wild, they never know how long it could be before their next meal. Now, having said that, some bp's will go through phases they just won't eat.

From everything I've read, feeding more often than 5 days can just be unhealthy for the snake.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleTreeGuy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I fed every two weeks for larger animals and every week for younger. But I'm also not too intent on getting up to breeding weight quickly. My feeder source doesn't seem to plan ahead for her regular customers she overreached. My colony isn't ready yet so I space things out. Pythons get fed week a, boas week b. (Adults) younger animals get fed weekly if they will take it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kokorobosoi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Re: Do I decide when my baby ball eats, or do I let her decide?

I feed my young snakes 10-15% (sometimes a little more) of their body weight every 5 days until they turn 1. I feed them every 7-10 days from ages 1-2, and every 10-14 days thereafter.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You decide when to offer food, she decides when to eat. Offer on a regular schedule, if she refuses, don't offer again for the same amount of time.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DennisM For This Useful Post:

Registered User oculus_ignigena's Avatar
    Thanks
    I'm not planning to breed her but I want to get her as big and long as she can get without getting fat or compromising her health. I don't need it to happen fast but I'm a bit worried about stunting her growth by not feeding her enough. Can that happen..?

Thanks for all the help everyone

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oculus_ignigena View Post
    I'm not planning to breed her but I want to get her as big and long as she can get without getting fat or compromising her health. I don't need it to happen fast but I'm a bit worried about stunting her growth by not feeding her enough. Can that happen..?

You won't stunt her growth at all with a healthy, consistent feeding schedule. I feed my young snakes somewhat liberally but I'd never power feed any of my animals. If you're feeding your girl a decent sized meal every 5-7 days she'll do just fine.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

DennisM (02-05-2016),oculus_ignigena (02-05-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oculus_ignigena View Post

yes, if the animal is underfed it's growth will be stunted. there's nothing complex about properly feeding a ball python. feed it a prey item that is roughly the same girth as the widest point of the snake. For young/undersized snakes feed every 5-7 days. for larger snakes feed every 7-10 days. if the snake refuses a meal, do not offer again until the scheduled feed date.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DennisM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    Actually I think feeding a ball python can be a bit tricky. You have to know what kind of food the snake will eat. I have some that will only eat live, some will eat frozen thawed or live. I feed all my snakes once a week, but I do feed some several smaller feedings. Some won't take food the size of the thickest part of the snake, so I offer smaller food, come back in a half hour and offer another one, sometimes a third. The more you can get into them the faster they will grow. For my ball pythons I start with live and they usually all eat. Then I'll try one or two frozen thawed, most will refuse. My rodent breeding isn't to a point where I can offer several live yet, but that's the plan. Some top breeders will only offer live to female breeders to ensure they will eat and to get them as big as possible as fast as possible.