Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,105

1 members and 3,104 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

BP Favoring Cool Hide, Not Really Using Warm Hide-- Cause for Concern?

I've had my ball python for about a month now, and he is my first snake.

He is currently living in a 30 gallon sterilite container with holes soldered into the sides for ventilation. He has to UTH's-- one attached to the bottom, and another attached to the side in the same corner as the one on the bottom. His ambient temperature usually hangs around 79-81F, basking spot temps 88-91F, and cool side temps 77-79F. Humidity is usually 60-65%.

About two weeks ago, (1/19 to be exact) he shed his skin in his warm hide box, and since then has been favoring his cool one almost exclusively during the day when, I presume, he is sleeping. Since the shed, I have seen him burrow behind the warm hide to sit between it and the wall with the UTH, which was not something that he did prior to that. Before shedding, he did not seem to have a preference of hide box, and spent his time between them pretty evenly. Is his change of preference for hide box any cause for concern?

As a side note, the cool hide is a little smaller than the warm one, though I'm not sure he's having a security issue, since I've seen him sleeping with his head sticking out of the entrance.

Any insight will be much appreciated! Thanks!

Thanks
    I don't think it's an issue. Mine will stay on one side or the other for long periods of time. I was paranoid about my temps for a while because of it. If you want, you can get two identical hides for both the warm and cool side to rule that out, but I'd say it's probably not a big deal. As long as the warm side is the right temp, the snake will go over there when it feels the need.

What size is your BP? If it's just a hatchling, it may be the size of your tub is too large. If it's a few hundred grams or larger, i wouldn't worry.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Thanks

Re: BP Favoring Cool Hide, Not Really Using Warm Hide-- Cause for Concern?

Ok. Thanks!

The last I weighed him, he was 321 grams. I also put lots of fake plants in the tub to give him some extra cover

Thanks
    Sounds good. My opinion would be that he's just happy on the cool side for now.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: BP Favoring Cool Hide, Not Really Using Warm Hide-- Cause for Concern?

My guy loves his cool hide. Both of his hides are the same type, and size. He will go to the hot side after a meal, then 24 hours later he is back on the cool side. My temps are all in range, so this is just his preferance. Sometimes they just do what makes them feel comfortable, and, or, secure.

Thanks
    Did he poo/pee in the hide after he shed? Mine won't go near their hides if they shed then poo'd in them if they aren't IMMACULATELY cleaned afterward.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python - Herbie (Homage to the late, great Herb Brooks! AKA: Snakiepoo, Sweet Boy, The Hockey Snake, Herbert Paul)
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python - Draco (AKA: Scared-y Snake, Pretty Snake)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python - Tyrion (AKA: Little Boy, Little Noodle)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python - Burnsie
    0.1 Blue Eyed Leucistic Ball Python - Khaleesi (AKA: Mother of Snakes)
    0.1 Pied Ball Python - Zmeya
    1.0 Albino Kenyan Sand Boa - Nagini (AKA: Devil's Spawn, Satan Snake, Evil Little Worm, etc. - but we love him to death!)
    0.1 BCC Red-tailed Boa - Rio
    1.0 Normal Corn Snake - Severus (AKA: Little Rattlesnake, Brat)

Thanks
    Mine will spend most his time on the cool side unless he just ate. In the winter he will switch over to the warmer side mostly. During a shed...he favors the warm side always. I would say during a year here in NJ he spends most of his time in his cooler hide. He seeks more heat when he feels he needs it. Like I said...after he eats he lays in the warm area.
    Last edited by Skeletor; 02-03-2016 at 08:38 PM.