Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,628

2 members and 1,626 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Racks compared to PVC cage

Will a rack lose heat out of the top of the tubs since they are open at the top. I have a PVC cage now and it's easily maintaining some great ambient temps and relative humidity. I was thinking about getting a small rack to add a few BP's. I'm worried it won't hold good ambient heat without heating the room.

Thanks
    It just depends.

I just converted from an enclosure to a rack system.

My enclosure was approximately 24"x24"x14". I was using a UTH and a 60w CHE that sat on top. The enclosure was made from 1/8" (or thinner) hard plastic. I was able to keep the temps fairly constant in a room that was about 68 degrees.

I built a pvc rack and moved my snake to a 15qt tub because I heard it was easier to maintain heat and humidity.

With my setup, I still leave the lid on the tub (to keep the Mrs. happy). I have 4" flexwatt on a thermostat under the rear of the tub for my hotspot of 92 degrees, and 4" flexwatt on a thermostat under the front of my tub to maintain the coold side, at 81 degrees. In a room that is 68 degrees, my ambient temperatures in that tub were in the low 70's (measured with an accurite thermometer sitting inside the tub). I placed a radiator style oil heater about 2' in front of my rack and keep it on. My ambient temps are now about 78 on the cool end of the tub.

If you are fortunate enough to have a "snake room" or a room where you can maintain ambient temps at 75 degrees or warmer, I think racks are the way to go. Also, if you have multiple snakes, racks ultimately become a much more cost effective housing method, even if you have to add some heaters to your room.

If you currently have a PVC enclosure and are able to maintain good ambient temps, warm side/coold side, and have decent humidity, I would not switch unless you fall into the category of the above statement. This is just my opinion from what my experience has found.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Thanks

Re: Racks compared to PVC cage

I never thought about a lid on the tubs inside a rack. I agree, a rack can be much cheaper if you want to own a few BP's. My PVC cage is running great with a RHP and my BP is thriving. I much rather get a rack running before I add a few more snakes to my collection. My room isn't nearly as cool as yours and maybe going with some lids would work if needed. I've never noticed people using lids but maybe I overlooked it. I guess the thin tubs don't hold heat too good. my PVC cage is about 1/4 inch thick. THanks much for your reply....very helpful. One other question....Does your rack have a back or is it open ?
    Last edited by Skeletor; 01-29-2016 at 12:20 PM.

Thanks
    Most people don't keep the lids on their tubs. My wife was afraid I'd not get the tub pushed all the way in and the snake could escape... so to appease her, I keep the lids on. I'm sure I could remove the lid and still be fine, but whatever. I have plenty of air holes, so I'm okay with it.

My rack is 28" high, 28" wide, and 17" deep. It has full sides and back made from 11mm pvc (1/2"). I used a 1 1/4" hole saw to make a hole that I run power cords out the back of each shelf.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe