Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,823

2 members and 2,821 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Any local breeders in NJ/NY area?

I am looking for a local breeder to get a captive breed Ball Python from. Anyhow know of any around the area?

Thanks

Thanks

Re: Any local breeders in NJ/NY area?

Might try some of the links in here - or simply contacting them and asking - I am sure they would be much more familiar than myself.

http://www.nyhs.org/

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Thanks

they would know of local Ball Python breeders?

how about obtaining a cage?

Thanks

Local to you (NY/NJ) they would be your best bet. There's always bigappleherp.com - but they are supplies only not breeders.

http://www.reptileexpo.com/ April 16th - not sure how long a drive that is for you but you'd find everything you need there

One in White Plains the 24th as well.
    (EDIT - wrong link: http://www.reptileexpo.com/ny_main.htm)

All that info available in the 60 seconds it took to browse

First ball-python? What kind of caging did you have in mind?

Thanks

well no I have been searching and searching online and came across all that info you gave, but I keep finding breeders are are at least an hour or so away from me and I emailed many other breeders that never returned my emails. But anyhow, I wanted to deal with somebody close to me since this will be my first Ball Python and incase I have any problems with it. I find most the local vets around here don't really do snakes, so it's important for me to buy from a local breeder that can help me if the snake ever gets sick or I have other problems with it.

About 3 year ago I had a Jungle Carpet Python (male). Got him at about 6 months old and had him for about 1.5 years. Very nice looking snake, the only things I didn't like were that he was nippy and that he never sat still while holding him. Once he bit me a few times I said that was it and I sold him. I didn't want to have a nasty pet. I think a lot of that might of been my fault though cause I fed him in his cage and everytime I opened up the glass he would right away think it was feeding time I think (he was a very good eater though). But now I am looking for a snake that gets to be no bigger than about 5 feed and something that is very docile and likes to be held and doesn't move around a ton while holding him. I could never even sit down with my Jungle Carpet because he wouldn't stop moving and always would get into something. Plus with that little climbing tail of his he could grab onto anything in an instant.

So a Ball Python after research seems to be my best bet. But the only thing that scares me about them is that they can go off feeding. But I hear if you get a domestic captive breed ball usually this isn't such a problem.

About caging, I used to have a Neodesha 4' slanted-front glass sliding door cage. It was very nice but I sold that along with the snake and now that company is out of business. I would take another one of those cages, but they are harder to find now, so I am open to more options. I would prefer something that I could reach in from the front because I don't like the idea of reaching in from the top and scarring the snake. I think it's better that the snake sees your hand coming in to hold him. The cage also has to look good because I am putting it in a living room and will probably sit it on a nice piece of furniture or something.

Thanks

Well I am really heartened to see folks doing research and wanting to buy from a reputable breeder instead of spur of the moment picking something up in the local pet store! KUDOS!

I know what you mean with the Carpets - I have a couple juveniles and they never pass up an opportunity to give me a little love peck. BPs are much more mellow snakes and I think you'll enjoy the contrast after having kept a carpet.

I wouldnt worry too much about feeding at least not if you are getting one from a breeder who can reassure you the snake in question is an established eater. Just make sure when you bring it home you give it a good solid week or so to acclimate.

I like a nice functional enclosure - you'll find folks here using a wide variety of brands and types from glass to tupperware to professional systems. Glad you decided to stop in - keep firing away with any questions you have - you'll find we're a helpful sort with a variety of valid opinions.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by squale
    well no I have been searching and searching online and came across all that info you gave, but I keep finding breeders are are at least an hour or so away from me and I emailed many other breeders that never returned my emails. But anyhow, I wanted to deal with somebody close to me since this will be my first Ball Python and incase I have any problems with it. I find most the local vets around here don't really do snakes, so it's important for me to buy from a local breeder that can help me if the snake ever gets sick or I have other problems with it.
    A local breeder will not be able to help you with prescriptions for medications if you snake gets sick. If you're going to take an animal into your home, you really should try to find a qualified veterinarian to care for it in case the need arises. The Association of Reptile and Amphibian Veterinarians (http://www.arav.org/) or ARAV can help point you in the right direction.

I think a lot of that might of been my fault though cause I fed him in his cage
    Feeding inside a cage does not make a nippy snake, lack of regular and routine handling coupled with feeding in the cage could be a problem.

something that is very docile and likes to be held and doesn't move around a ton while holding him.
    Well, that's more of a individual snake thing than a species thing. Even some ball pythons can be "cruisers" that won't sit still for you. It all depends on the snake itself.

So a Ball Python after research seems to be my best bet. But the only thing that scares me about them is that they can go off feeding. But I hear if you get a domestic captive breed ball usually this isn't such a problem.
    Captive bred ball pythons are certainly better than adult imports. But, ALL ball pythons have the potential to fast. Proper husbandry and feeding routines help lessen the chances, but at some point, going a couple of months with out food is certainly plausible. It's just something as a potential ball python owner that you will need to understand and accept.

About caging, I used to have a Neodesha 4' slanted-front glass sliding door cage. It was very nice but I sold that along with the snake and now that company is out of business. I would take another one of those cages, but they are harder to find now, so I am open to more options. I would prefer something that I could reach in from the front because I don't like the idea of reaching in from the top and scarring the snake. I think it's better that the snake sees your hand coming in to hold him. The cage also has to look good because I am putting it in a living room and will probably sit it on a nice piece of furniture or something.
    Check out Animal Plastics ... http://www.animalplastics.com .... Maybe some other members can help with which model works best ... I would suggest springing for the belly heat option and investing in a quality proportional thermostat.

And if you don't have it already, be sure to pick up and read "The Ball Python Manual" ... It can be purchased on Amazon.com for around $9 and is a must have for basic ball python husbandry.

Hope this helps.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

THANKS for all the help!!!!

so what type of enclosure do you use or recommend? I was checking out the Vision series and they look pretty nice. But I am not sure what size I would need for a full grown Ball Python?

would I need to start off with a smaller cage and then go bigger as the snake grows? or can I put a baby in a big cage or will the snake feel unsecure in such a big cage?

When you say established eater, how long after they hatch should I wait until I buy from the breeder? and like how many feedings, etc should the breeder do before I buy? I know a lot of breeders sell right after the first feeding, but to me that doesn't seem like its' enough time to make it an "ESTABLISHED" eater ya know..

Thanks

congrats on getting the proper info before you buy! getting your setup and running it before you buy will save you alot of aspirin and maybe a vet bill or two. for cages animal plastics, visions,barrs and boaphile all make good cages. you could do a 2-3 ft wide cage that is 2ft deep and 1 ft high for adults. you could use a divider in this for a younger bp, you just have to provide the proper heat for the divided cage and later the whole cage. definately get a thermostat, it will help alot. i think joe compel is in nj he has a banner ad on this forum.

vaughn
    you can't have just one!