Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,391

2 members and 3,389 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks

Just want him better!

Hello everyone my name is Luna and I have so many questions about my new snake Loki.. I'm not sure of the sex but I know he/she is a ball python and probably about 3 feet long. I took him from a friend that I feel just gave up on him. .I Googled a little bit after noticing some skin still hanging on in pieces on his body. . My friend said she didn't want him anymore and didn't really seem to care that I even took him. .. I've never had a snake but I'm willing to keep him and want him to be as comfy and happy as I can make him..I see that I'm starting to love him more & more... He came in a tank but I took him out as of yesterday and bought a 35 qt rubber tub and put him in there with a hide, water bowl, some moss and now I'm trying to figure out how to do this heating thing. .but can't find a thermostat and I'm noticing his tank is getting over 95°.... I really just need a little help please. . ��
    Last edited by LokiMamaz; 01-18-2016 at 07:47 AM.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

If you don't have the heat mat regulated unplug it till you get either a dimmer/rheostat or thermostat.
    That is the only way you are going to properly regulate the heat source and not potentially burn your new snake.

Read the care sheet: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ius)-Caresheet

Why did your friend "give up" on it?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

wolfy-hound (01-19-2016)

Thanks

Re: Just want him better!

Honestly I'm not sure.... I know she's had it for about a yr and shared it with her bf but they broke up and now it just seemed like she just STOPPED GAF. I've never seen her snake in the condition that I did 2 weeks ago... he looked pale and had skin peeling off uneven looking... after I left that day I started googling. I went to her and just asked her if she even really wanted the snake anymore and she said "No".... so I packed him up and took him home. I'm an avid dog/animal lover and I don't see this snake being any different. I have unplugged the heating pad until I get the appropiate stuff I need.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LokiMamaz For This Useful Post:

wolfy-hound (01-19-2016)

Thanks
    Off work and constantly checking the temperature gage.. I feel so clueless and just don't want to hurt him/her. I have unplugged the heater pad all together until I find a thermostat and keepingy room temp UP. I promise to get everything he will need to be at ease. I'm looking for stores with thermostats and can't find one. 😯

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LokiMamaz For This Useful Post:

wolfy-hound (01-19-2016)

Thanks
    Do you have any pictures you can show what's going on? If skin is peeling it sounds to me like 100% a vet visit. I'd be too afraid to handle it on my own, honestly.

Thanks
    He currently under his hide log.... but I see that he wanted to shed but didn't shed properly...which is why I took him out of the glass aquarium because after reading Google and here I seen that maybe his humidity and heat weren't right.. I soaked him yesterday and alot of the loose skin fell right off... he looks smoother just still have on his head area. ..but I'm kinda scared to touch him too much. Also noticed his eyes look whitish... which I read is his eye caps.... am I correct in all this??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LokiMamaz View Post
    Off work and constantly checking the temperature gage.. I feel so clueless and just don't want to hurt him/her. I have unplugged the heater pad all together until I find a thermostat and keepingy room temp UP. I promise to get everything he will need to be at ease. I'm looking for stores with thermostats and can't find one. 😯
    check out these links for thermostats.

http://www.reptilebasics.com/thermostats
    http://www.spyderrobotics.com/index....=index&cPath=1

not sure of your budget, so they may seem pricey, but they are well worth the investment and will last a long time. You won't regret either choice.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
    check out these links for thermostats.

http://www.reptilebasics.com/thermostats
    http://www.spyderrobotics.com/index....=index&cPath=1

not sure of your budget, so they may seem pricey, but they are well worth the investment and will last a long time. You won't regret either choice.
    ^^thank you so much! I'm not rich but I'm willing to pay for what will WORK and LAST! Appreciate any responses I've been getting.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danizduhman View Post
    Do you have any pictures you can show what's going on? If skin is peeling it sounds to me like 100% a vet visit. I'd be too afraid to handle it on my own, honestly.
    a bad shed does not require a vet visit. even if the eye caps haven't come off. get the humidity right and all should correct itself next shed. a humid hide and perhaps a damp towel to rub against will likely get the unshed skin off before then.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
    a bad shed does not require a vet visit. even if the eye caps haven't come off. get the humidity right and all should correct itself next shed. a humid hide and perhaps a damp towel to rub against will likely get the unshed skin off before then.
    Will do! What should I do to keep him warm til I do get that thermostat? Also, if he's 3 feet what kind of hide can I get or use?? And how do I make it humid??

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast