Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,896

0 members and 2,896 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Helix

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Helix

What ever happened to Helix thermostats?
    When I started in the hobby they were the first recommendation.
    Now its all Herpstat.
    Mine is still running strong as well as all the VEs I have.
    Maybe when one of mine quits working I might try a Herp, who knows.
    Just my thought for the day.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Gio (01-12-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Besides 3 racks the rest of my collection is on helix, even my incubator, they are no doubt great thermostats. when I bought my helixs the only difference between helix and herpstat at the time was the body of the thermostat and an extra button http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTU5M1gxNj...xVTXGv/$_1.JPG . Both were basic thermostats, both required a night drop module for night drop, really no features besides that. So I liked the body of the helixs better at the time, so thats what i bought. however helix is no different today than when I bought them years ago. like exactly the same http://helixcontrols.com/?page_id=42 actually they cost more now than they did back then lol.

herpstat offers far more for the money now, monitoring features, mechanical protection, built in night drop, different bodies (including the flush mount one that I absolutely love http://www.spyderrobotics.com/index....products_id=30). also herpstat software has improved greatly since the early days, allowing me to control quite a bit, but also is plug and play from the start, best of both worlds. Herpstat listens to what the reptile community wants and as far as I can see has always delivered. I complainted to them about them not having an enter button to input things, instead of waiting for it to time out each time, which would make something like the herpstat 4 very frustrating to use (at least to me). now what does every herpstat have now today? an enter button!

Herpstat stepped up to what we wanted, helix hasn't changed in years. Now that i see a price increase in helix, i see zero reason to even consider them over herpstat. They might be competitive at a 60 dollar price point today, not 145.
    Last edited by OhhWatALoser; 01-11-2016 at 07:21 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

Alicia (01-13-2016),KMG (01-12-2016)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Still around http://helixcontrols.com/ maybe not used as much.

From the start I have been using herpstat (been 10 years now even still have my first ones) and have been recommending them since I am familiar with them, VE are fine too I have one however I don't like it as much, helix have always had a great rep but I see less and less people using them, mainly larger breeders.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    My only problem with VEs is they only offer 1 model with dimming while all Herpstats except the basic I believe offer dimming and proportional. Never used Helix as I started on Herpstats.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Re: Helix

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    My only problem with VEs is they only offer 1 model with dimming while all Herpstats except the basic I believe offer dimming and proportional. Never used Helix as I started on Herpstats.
    What advantage do you find with dimming?

Thanks
    I still see Helix at my local shop and I know they have a great rep, but their price keeps climbing with no additional features... On a side note I was under the impression dimming and proportional were different terms fore the same feature?
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    Dimming allows things like ceramic heaters and RHPs to run in a dimmer function by varying the voltage to it as needed. The pulse function just cycles power on/off as needed for temp. So longer pulses when less heat is needed and faster pulses when more is needed. Not sure if there is really an advantage per say but I personally like the ability to run my RHPs in a dimming mode.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Gio (01-12-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jclaiborne View Post
    I still see Helix at my local shop and I know they have a great rep, but their price keeps climbing with no additional features... On a side note I was under the impression dimming and proportional were different terms fore the same feature?
    Me too at first but I guess its not because VE offers a dimming version of their VE200. From what I've been reading, it seems proportional is still an on/off but it pulses it faster when more heat is needed and slower when less heat is needed. Where as dimming works like a lamp dimmer by lowering or raising voltage as needed. Now I might be wrong but this is what I've gathered from reading up on the VE dimming model and my Herpstats.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 01-12-2016 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks
    Sorry, kind of tired and reread my explanation and it really didn't make sense lol. Anyways, I guess there is 2 forms of proportional, pulse and dimming. Pulse proportional uses the same voltage but just varies the on/off cycle speed for the heater. Dimming proportional works like a dimmer switch as it lowers or raises the voltage as needed. Now for something like a CHE or RHP, it probably doesn't matter but if you are using a light to heat with, it could cause the light to flicker. Now Herpstats have both, you can set it to pulse or dimming proportional where as VE are all pulse proportional except one model. Not sure about Helix since I have never used those.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    I feel it provides more even temperatures once up to stable temp calibrated. . . . But, I give new racks, incubators, and enclosures anywhere from two days to a week before I stick snakes in.

That said, my experience with on/off type thermostats is limited to either aquarium use, or one really awful experience trying to use a cheap (ZooMed? Hydrofarm? I honestly can't remember) thermostat about ten years ago -- prior to getting a Herpstat.

Since my local supplier has Herpstats, I never had the chance to try Helix. I'd have to look, but I think the oldest I have running are around 8-9 years old and have been run more or less constantly, only turned off during power outages and when I've had to move stuff around. Since I've been super happy with them, I've never felt the need to try a different brand. And, as I've had such a good experience, I feel very comfortable recommending them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast