Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,240

1 members and 2,239 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Registered User Firefighter1719's Avatar
    Thanks

Amazon tree boa question

I'm looking at getting a amazon tree boa. They look really cool.

I've only kept ball pythons and just got a Kenyan sand boa.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated?!

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    You have a particular question?

Snakes like a ETB, GTP, ATB, etc. are much different than the two snakes you have. They have much more delicate bodies and require gentle handling, especially when young. They also have extremely strong feeding responses and it is almost guaranteed that you will get tagged. Getting tagged does not hurt, well I don't think it does. However these guys have pretty good sized needle like teeth that draw blood easy.

They also require better husbandry, or most contestant and concise keeping. They are not as forgiving as a BP and without the proper setup will run you a big bill with a reptile vet. If you decide to get one make sure you get the enclosure set up a few weeks in advance and get it dialed in. It may take you some time to provide the proper temps at the different perch heights as it is not as simple as setting up a uth. Im not saying it difficult but it takes a little more effort than a simple uth. The other big factor is finding the correct substrate that will give you a proper humidity range without driving you nuts dropping low everyday.

Do your homework and make sure you know what you are getting into. I got my GTP cage from here and love it. Out of the arboreal snakes the ATB is probably one of the best to begin with, imho.

http://pvccages.com/
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Firefighter1719 (01-09-2016)

Thanks

Re: Amazon tree boa question

Okay great info! I don't have any particular questions.
    Just wanted to find advice/opinions on the ATB.
    I know someone that is giving one away and looks really nice! So that's what has me interested. Seems really cool. Other then there attitude and delicate bodies.

But I've always been told anything can bite.
    I just get Leary of being surprised lol.

Figured I'd try to get into keeping them.

Thanks for your post!!

Last edited by Firefighter1719; 01-09-2016 at 01:44 AM.

Thanks
    Any snake can bite but with most arboreal types its not if, its when. Out of my eight snakes I have been tagged by five of them. The only three that have not have never even tried and they are my BRB, adult Blood, and BP.

My GTP is very well behaved boy and I can bring him out almost any time I want......during the day. Once dark comes he is only interested in one thing and is willing to strike and bite anything to find out if it is what he desires. I also found that when he is in shed he would rather not be messed with. He also had to learn me as when I first got him my arm hair seemed to bother him and he would randomly bite me in a response to it. He has grown out of that but it was strange to see. Many times it was not a full strike but simply a easy bite. Like I said because of their teeth blood will always be drawn.

Each snake is different and their attitude and temperament can be learned by their owner. Having done this I can not remember the last time by GTP got a piece of me. He has recently come darting out on feed night and very regularly is hanging out of his cage when he takes his prey as he is ready to feed as soon as his door slides open. He is extremely smart and his eye sight is amazing. He will stalk shadows on his cage walls I make with my hand.

Some snakes can be worked with and become very well mannered like mine. Others never take to being nice and are terrors. If you know the person getting rid of the snake you should be able to handle it and discuss this particular snakes attitude and have a better idea of what you are getting into.

I would not mind adding a ETB to my collection. Those and GTP are some of my favorites to handle and display as they do that so well.
    KMG

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yeah there all really beautiful and neat looking snakes. Some really nice colors! So there pretty flighty/fast?

Thanks

I seen a picture of a baby green one that was no bigger then a quarter? That's crazy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter1719 View Post
    Yeah there all really beautiful and neat looking snakes. Some really nice colors! So there pretty flighty/fast?
    When they want to be they are fast but that is most snakes. My big blood girl who is usually slow to do everything will every once in awhile turn it on and slam a rat. She moves like lightning and hits like a train.

I would not describe my GTP as flighty. He is just almost always on the move if I have him out. He will climb all over me and check everything out. He is not one to just coil around my neck and hang out like some of my others, mostly my bloods and ball. My BRB is much like my GTP but what sets him apart is his strength. He is around 6ft, maybe a tad more, a great climber as well but extremely strong. My GTP can climb and does it very delicately as if it requires no effort. My BRB climbs as if it is no effort but he wants to kill the tree branch he is using(my arm).

KMG

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    ATBs will bite, musk and pee when they want to be left alone, which is most of the time. haha
    I love them but treat them as a display snake. I have some that will tolerate some handling but even those, after 15-20 min will want to go back home and let you know it.
    edit to add - they are heat seekers and will readily strike at something so simple as warm breath.
    They are awesome!
    Last edited by AbsoluteApril; 01-09-2016 at 03:24 AM.
    For the Horde!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    ATBs will bite, musk and pee when they want to be left alone, which is most of the time. haha
    I love them but treat them as a display snake. I have some that will tolerate some handling but even those, after 15-20 min will want to go back home and let you know it.
    edit to add - they are heat seekers and will readily strike at something so simple as warm breath.
    They are awesome!
    Awesome! Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    When they want to be they are fast but that is most snakes. My big blood girl who is usually slow to do everything will every once in awhile turn it on and slam a rat. She moves like lightning and hits like a train.

I would not describe my GTP as flighty. He is just almost always on the move if I have him out. He will climb all over me and check everything out. He is not one to just coil around my neck and hang out like some of my others, mostly my bloods and ball. My BRB is much like my GTP but what sets him apart is his strength. He is around 6ft, maybe a tad more, a great climber as well but extremely strong. My GTP can climb and does it very delicately as if it requires no effort. My BRB climbs as if it is no effort but he wants to kill the tree branch he is using(my arm).

Where do you get them that small??!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast