Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,363

0 members and 3,363 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

My New setup and humidity trouble

Image 36x18x18 exo terra cage for my 5 months Python . She seems to be relatevly happy in there, as far as I can tell. She sleeps in her hides during the day, she is very active at night. She is eating, I only have few problems: one she defecated only once in 3 weeks, and the second one is humidity way to low around 40% or so. I have an ultrasonic humidifier that I'm planning to use, but I'm worried that it will make her sick with a cold fog.
    please take a look at the picture of my setup. It was much easier dealing with humidity with one lamp, but I was worried that the cold side was getting to cold.
    i have heat pad with herpstat 1 on the right and 2 lamps with dimmers using exo terra infrared basking light, 2 water dishes and aspen substract
    http://imgur.com/pPDs9Y3
    Last edited by BP99; 01-08-2016 at 01:39 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    what are your temps? hot side, cool side, ambient? I think u achieve can 80degree cool side without a heat lamp. i have two BP's in separate 18gallon tanks and have not been using a heat lamp since winter i have my furnace on.

u can add a second water dish or another hide with damp moss to increase humidity. i add this to my BP's during shed, but also keep some damp moss regularly in their enclosure anyway.

the other alternative is to spray/mist regularly or switch to a fully enclosed enclosure/tub.

edit: running a heat lamp sucks up moisture/humidity quickly. running 2 lamps will even neutralize the effectiveness of a humidifier.
    Last edited by Ax01; 01-09-2016 at 02:09 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks

Re: My New setup and humidity trouble

My ambient temps around 80, I have accurate thermometer hygromether , it shows hot side to be around 91 most of the time, on a cool side though, since it is standing right in the far away corner most of the time it shows 77, when I pull it towards the hide under the lamp, it is about 80 or so. I also have infrared temp gun, not sure how accurate it is, but it shows temps near the hide on the cool side to be around 82 and hot side 89-92 .
    I got some hides from reptile basics, small and medium, unfortunately I think my snake already outgrown small ones, it barely fits in it, and the medium sizes are huge, like 4 of the small ones in one.
    I only had my ball python for 3 weeks, I got it for kids for Christmas, so I never have seen it shed, but I assume it might have problems, with humidity being around 40% or so.
    I do have 2 water dishes in the tank, one in the middle, one in the left front corner. I did buy some moss yesterday, so if I see my snake shedding I will add it in, or just put the medium hide somewhere in the middle with moss in it.
    I'm new to snakes, so I'm worried about every little thing, I want it to be healthy and thrive in the environment that I have set up for it.
    It hasn't pooped for 2 weeks now, so I'm kind of worried, and she usually very active at night, but today she was just laying most of the day and the night on the hot side and still is even now with her head outside the hide.
    I did add bunch of fake plants yesterday to her enclosure, to provide more places to hide, I hope it is not causing to much stress.
    Is it possible, that she hasn't pooped because the feeder was to small for her ?
    Last edited by BP99; 01-10-2016 at 01:47 AM.

Thanks

Re: My New setup and humidity trouble

I had a bad shed or two with our adopted adult normal, BeetleJuice. Our home had low humidity, and I tried covering vents, frequent moistening of the cypress mulch with warm water spray, and it still would drift to the 40's in between interventions. We added an ultrasonic mister, tied to a Herpstat 4 and kept it religiously at 60%, taking it to 75% when he started looking ready to shed. Both of the last two sheds were in small pieces scattered everywhere in the enclosure. He finished shed yesterday and it was one piece and without a problem. I've since dropped humidity down to 60% again.

The mister comes with a 1 liter bottle. I took a 2 liter soda bottle and filled it with distilled so that it keeps up with the frequent duty cycles we are experiencing in the winter time, and set the low humidity alarm to let me know when the bottle runs out (its unfortunately not directly visible due to other constraints in our setup).

I would suggest moving forward with getting an ultrasonic mister. I have mine set up so that it empties into the tanks over the water bowl. That way any condensate drips into the water bowl and doesn't make a chronically saturated wet spot in your substrate. I currently have a single mister doing double duty, and is misting two tanks. I have an analog humidity gauge in the secondary tank, and the herpstat senses and controls the main tank. I use PVC tubing to divide the humid flow, with no low spots to trap water and grow mold in, and a ball valve to regulate flow between what goes to the main tank and the second tank. I will eventually give each tank its own herpstat and humidifier
    0.1 Wifey
    0.1 Brindle Boxers (Harley-RIP , Bella)
    0.2 Rott mix (Kali, the Goddess of Destruction.. aptly named, and our newest addition Xena)
    1.0 Normal BP (Beetlejuice)
    0.1 Super Pastel BP (Lydia)

If you are gonna be stupid, you darn well better be tough.