Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,574

1 members and 2,573 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: been thinking about starting a breeding business

Quote Originally Posted by scottman View Post
    If you expect to make a profit or start a business out of Axanthics, Bees and Super Pastels

I think you miss understood what I meant, thats not what I only want to sell, thats just what I want to start with as far as hobby breeding goes. Those are just a couple of my favorite morphs and so i want to start breeding those.
    Working with your favorites is fine having a business and making a profit (original question.) will require to know the market and invest smartly in animals.....all of them.

Bees, Super Pastels are hard to move and usually by the time you sell them if you do (the market is flooded) you will have spent more in overhead than what the animal will sell for.

If you want to start a busness (original question) you will need to make a major investment in much higher end animals.
    Deborah Stewart

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (01-06-2016),bcr229 (01-07-2016),Godzilla78 (02-28-2018),Kamryn (10-06-2020)

BPnet Senior Member CD CONSTRICTORS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 658 Posts
    Investments in this market pretty much mean cutting edge morphs... Clown morphs, Pied morphs, etc- all which could potentially run you $4-$5K+ each. Then you need to come up with some good pairings for them

Profits generated in year #3 here. Pretty much because I was investing $20- $25K a year in breeding stock. I am pretty much self sufficient on producing what I need for the future on my own now.

Consider breeding rats as well. If you don't, your rat bill will be $400-$500 a month easily. I have 165 breeder female rats and still had to spend $3000+ on rats I could not produce this season to feed my entire breeding stock and hatchlings.

Advertising, shows, website, etc, all add to the expenses.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CD CONSTRICTORS For This Useful Post:

Chkadii (02-15-2016),Godzilla78 (02-28-2018),Kamryn (10-06-2020),Snake Eater (02-16-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is the networking.

If people don't like you, and the general population don't have a good image of you, then it doesn't matter how carefully you've spelled out your business plan. You need to do a lot of meet-and-greet and be a decent sort of person EVEN WHEN someone is rude or says something you disagree with.

Your public image, and your contacts in the industry/hobby are almost as important as your animals. You already know that there are many other breeders, so you've got to stand out.

Also, I will double-down on the business plan. You need to KNOW what you will be doing next year, in two years, and even in five years. You can't just get some cool snakes and figure you'll breed some later on. You've got to KNOW, so that in 2 years when that prized female is big enough, you have the male ready to make the precise clutch you intended to make. You should have an idea what that female will produce for you each year for the next 4-5 years, because it might not be the same clutch each time. What will you hold back? Why? What purpose will it serve in the breeding program in 2 years?

Keep really precise records too. Have things written out and filed correctly. This is an area that I fail on ALL the time, but my pythons are a hobby. When I owned a business, I struggled all the time with the record-keeping end of it. I still struggle with it. Don't follow my example, because I can tell you it makes everything a royal pain.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Chkadii (02-15-2016),Kamryn (10-06-2020)

Thanks
    I don't know a whole lot about the business myself, but I do try to get to know the market and especially the cost of production. A good website I found for just that is this: http://reptilestartup.com/cost-of-pr...ding-business/ now, this is for a hobby and not for a business, but I suspect some of the things can be put to good use.
    Working with herps and people to try to get more to understand that these lovely animals are not to be feared but admired.

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    I'm in the number 1 slot myself. I want to breed ball pythons but mainly so that I can get more snakes that I want to keep with the money from the snakes that I intend to sell. Work at a level that is comfortable and rewarding for you personally, and if you want to take it to the next level later you can always do so.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I think the best way to start up any business is to start small, figure out what is costing the most, then figure out ways to cut expenses. Better to do it on a small scale before scaling up to full blown production.

I'm actually just recently getting into breeding snakes, not just ball pythons but all snakes. I think it can be done and if you are thinking about it I'd say number one is don't get discouraged. The best place to start is to get a few snakes and work with them, grow the business slowly and get some experience under your belt.

I've been raising animals for profit for a long time, just recently got into snakes. From what I've done I've found that you have to be creative and think outside of the box, and typically most of my profits don't come from selling the animals. For example, some people will breed and sell rats as pets on the side, I don't do it but just that one revenue stream can pay for all of your snake supplies when starting up. Some people will buy a few snakes in bulk to get discounts, then resell them at shows to make a few bucks. Or maybe set up a booth at a show selling bedding and reptile supplies. There's all kinds of way to make extra money to support the business. You can also do education and presentations, but that takes a special outgoing social personality LOL.

With a rack of 20 tubs for 20 snakes I've learned a lot already. I'm always looking for ways to do things better and cut costs, it's really a part of the business. For me the thing that comes first is the health and welfare of the animals, I don't sacrifice that for saving a buck or two. In fact I usually will spend the extra money to keep the animals in the best shape I can. Then instead of looking for ways to cut costs I'll spend my time looking for ways to generate extra money, most people focus more on cutting costs than finding creative ways to generate revenue. You have to have a good balance of both approaches.
    Last edited by cchardwick; 01-18-2017 at 08:42 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

Kamryn (10-06-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    Something else to consider is that you REALLY have to be passionate about something to turn it into a successful business. Lot's of people try to make a hobby a business and once they see how much work is involved it's no longer fun as a hobby or a business. You can end up losing money big time and being turned off to something you used to love. It's a gamble. This is a small community when you think about it and it's already flooded with breeders. There are so many keepers that just want the best deal and don't even consider higher end animals. You really need to set yourself apart from everyone else that's providing the same thing you are.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (02-28-2018),Kamryn (10-06-2020),PitOnTheProwl (01-22-2017)

SPAMTASTICO!
    Thanks
    Bump it!

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Grace digging

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (06-03-2020)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12