Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,975

1 members and 2,974 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I also wouldn't necessarily count out your every day friendly family dog from being a good deterrent. I am likely literally alive today because of plain old, large, family dogs that I grew up with. I had a stalker when I was 17 and he tried to break into the house one day while my mom was out getting groceries. I woke up to hear *both* my dogs going ballistic, which caught me by surprise. My catahoula/lab was a sweetheart, but protective. If I was unsure of someone, he'd hackle and growl until we got away from whomever was making me nervous, but otherwise was loving to every adult he ever encountered and could *not* get enough love from kids. It was the second dog that was the surprise. That was Shelby, our golden retriever/border collie mix. 75lbs of jet black fur with white toes. Everything about her looked like a pure golden except the color. The gentlest and most unassuming dog to ever exist. Mom and I used to joke that she'd help any burglars tote stuff away. But no, when this guy invaded her territory, she was going to do her damndest to take him out. I could hear her great roaring bark (both dogs were inside), while Aussie was leaping at the sliding glass door trying to bite this guy in the face.

Stalker couldn't find a way in that wouldn't include meeting a combined 125lbs of angry teeth and that was sufficient to make him leave.

I think part of why that worked well was we also didn't yell at them ever for barking. If they alarm barked, we'd try to figure out why and they'd hush themselves once we had a look-see.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiritserpents For This Useful Post:

Marzipan (01-18-2017)

Thanks

Re: Personal protection dog?

A great pet and even greater deterrent! APBT's aren't for everybody but they are low maintenance, loyal, and historically known as the "Best nanny k-9"! This is my 4yr old red nose Tank. You just parade him around the backyard, let the neighborhood see whos in the house and instant deterrent...

Alarms and cameras are ok for insurance and investigations but by the time 1st responders get there...well...the damage is done and intruders are inside your domain. A gun is only as good as the person behind the trigger. By the time you unhide, unlock, load...you're most likely gonna choose flight rather than protect without proper training...
    Last edited by Ratikal; 12-26-2016 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Dual message...wouldn't post pic link

Thanks

A great pet and even greater deterrent! APBT's aren't for everybody but they are low maintenance, loyal, and historically known as the "Best nanny k-9"! This is my 4yr old red nose Tank. You just parade him around the backyard, let the neighborhood see whos in the house and instant deterrent...

Alarms and cameras are ok for insurance and investigations but by the time 1st responders get there...well...the damage is done and intruders are inside your domain. A gun is only as good as the person behind the trigger. By the time you unhide, unlock, load...you're most likely gonna choose flight rather than protect without proper training...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ratikal For This Useful Post:

Fazer72110 (12-27-2016)

Registered User predatorkeeper87's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ratikal View Post

I'm glad someone finally named a pit as a great guard dog and a nanny. Best dang animal I've ever owned was a pit. Loved everyone but instantly knew if I had an issue with someone, I'm talking eyes locked on that person until they were gone or something sparked off. I think out of all all of the dogs I've been around pits are the most attuned to their owners feelings towards anything going on. They are not for a family who won't take the time to prove they are the alpha over the animal but you train them right and no one is walking into your house. That combined with either a good quality hand gun or home defense variant shotgun and you couldn't be safer.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to predatorkeeper87 For This Useful Post:

Calider (12-27-2016),Marzipan (01-18-2017),Ratikal (12-27-2016)

Thanks
    Bully breeds are excellent family dogs because, contrary to popular (uneducated) belief, they are among the gentlest dogs on the planet, but their appearance is extremely intimidating, and they have a loud, deep bark. A bully type dog that spends enough time with its owner can become to attuned to its owners body language that it can almost read their minds. There have been several well-documented incidents of unusually friendly, sociable, easy-going dogs suddenly turning incredibly violent when "their person" was being threatened, and then calming down just as quickly once the threat had been neutralized. I don't think I know of anyone with an Am.Staff or a boxer who would worry about leaving them alone with kids either... Some of them are better parents than the actual parents...
    -------
    0.1 Spider BP, "Sassy"
    0.1 ETB, "Ysera"
    1.0 GTP, "Craig"

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calider For This Useful Post:

Marzipan (01-18-2017),Ratikal (12-27-2016)

Registered User predatorkeeper87's Avatar
    Thanks

100% agree.

Thanks

I agree also...
    Although I'm the Alpha, when my daughters are home, he's attached to them! My male is very passive until he senses tension then he becomes ultimately attuned to the surroundings.
    He was a 3 month old rescue and I don't know if I'll own a different breed again. After having Rottweilers, Dobermans, and Shepherds, my APBT, is hands down, the best companion I've ever had the pleasure of owning.
    I did have a Jack Russel Terrier that was a bit smarter but the meanest damn dog on the planet...lol

Thanks
    Jack russels were given to us by the devil because he couldn't handle how evil they are.... LOL
    -------
    0.1 Spider BP, "Sassy"
    0.1 ETB, "Ysera"
    1.0 GTP, "Craig"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Calider For This Useful Post:

Ratikal (12-27-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Calider View Post
    Jack russels were given to us by the devil because he couldn't handle how evil they are.... LOL
    Well .....there are five near us and three are beautiful little things but the other two are pure evil .....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Calider View Post
    Bully breeds are excellent family dogs because, contrary to popular (uneducated) belief, they are among the gentlest dogs on the planet, but their appearance is extremely intimidating, and they have a loud, deep bark. A bully type dog that spends enough time with its owner can become to attuned to its owners body language that it can almost read their minds. There have been several well-documented incidents of unusually friendly, sociable, easy-going dogs suddenly turning incredibly violent when "their person" was being threatened, and then calming down just as quickly once the threat had been neutralized. I don't think I know of anyone with an Am.Staff or a boxer who would worry about leaving them alone with kids either... Some of them are better parents than the actual parents...
    I agree with this 100%. They make wonderful family dogs. They can be a bit stubborn so the proper training is important. Either way, my APBT is incredibly intuitive when it comes to how I am feeling and if I am uncomfortable around certain people. Even though he is a huge love bug, he is very intimidating to anyone who doesn't know him. He has a very deep, loud bark.
    I hate the misconceptions out there about bully breeds, but I do think their reputations really do deter people from causing trouble when they know there is a pitbull in the house/yard/etc. I know that if I am out in the evening by myself walking my dog, no one is going to mess with me
    Plus you get greeted by that pit bull smile....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EmilyandArlo For This Useful Post:

Marzipan (01-18-2017),Ratikal (12-28-2016)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast